Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 08:00   #1

Location: Currently in NC waiting for March 2020 delivery of AMEL 50
Boat: AMEL Sloop 50’
How to get ICC for experienced bluewater sailers

My husband and I live on our sailboat 6 months out of the year since 2013 and have sailed the eastern and western Caribbean, Bahamas, and the U.S. eastern coast. Longest passage was 9 days Puerto Rico to Charleston, S.C. We have residences in North Carolina and Florida. We would like to charter a sailboat in the Mediterranean (Italy or Croatia) in Sept 2018 and understand that one must have an ICC license. What is the fastest and least expensive way for an experienced sailor to get an ICC license?
sailcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:11   #2

Re: How to get ICC for experienced bluewater sailers

I live in Croatia and I am in charter business.
So, you can contact me and I am ready to help.
hidrotherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 12:01   #3

From what I've seen in my research into the subject: you can take classes and get certifications of your can "clep out" of all that by being assessed in your abilities.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/charter...rtering-europe this article has some good explanations.
jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 15:25   #4

Thank you JLCNUKE. The link you posted is excellent information. I have purchased the online NauticEd Bareboat Master courses ($175) and have sent them an email asking where an assessor would be available on the southeastern coast of the U.S.
Old 20-02-2018, 12:35   #5

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

YachtingEducation.com RYA Training Centre ICC License Sailing School
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:19   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcindy View Post
Thank you JLCNUKE. The link you posted is excellent information. I have purchased the online NauticEd Bareboat Master courses ($175) and have sent them an email asking where an assessor would be available on the southeastern coast of the U.S.
What have you learned from them?... I'm in the same boat..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
What have you learned from them?... I'm in the same boat..
I took the NauticEd.com courses for Bareboat Master and just this last weekend (June 2nd) passed the one-day on-the-water ICC Assessment which was located in Pensacola, FL. If you want to do the one-day assessment, contact Mark Thompson at mark@yachtingeducation.com. He is an excellent instructor/tester. He also instructs a 5-day RYA Skipper course in which you can achieve the ICC certification.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:16   #8

Boat: Tartan 4400

A little different take. We chartered a boat in Croatia in 2017. We ended up hiring a captain because of the ICC issue. We didn't have time to get certified. It turned out to be the best thing we ever did. The Captain knew the language, found us great spots to go, and got us into slips and moorings and restaurants that we don't think anyone would have gotten on their own. The Croatia sailing in the hotspots is very crowded and it helped a lot to have inside information. The Med morning is intense and crowed and finding anchoring or mooring spots in the tourist area was difficult. And besides, he did the work so we could enjoy the sailing and the areas with a built in tour guide. And the price for the boat and the captain was less than Caribbean Charters without a captain.
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 13:03   #9

We are in a similar situation, plenty of experience but no certification. Does anyone know the simplest and most time, and cost-effective way to get an ICC license in Australia?

Dstraton

Quote:
My husband and I live on our sailboat 6 months out of the year since 2013 and have sailed the eastern and western Caribbean, Bahamas, and the U.S. eastern coast. Longest passage was 9 days Puerto Rico to Charleston, S.C. We have residences in North Carolina and Florida. We would like to charter a sailboat in the Mediterranean (Italy or Croatia) in Sept 2018 and understand that one must have an ICC license. What is the fastest and least expensive way for an experienced sailor to get an ICC license?
dstraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 02:16   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraton View Post
We are in a similar situation, plenty of experience but no certification. Does anyone know the simplest and most time, and cost-effective way to get an ICC license in Australia?

Dstraton
I dont know how time efficient it was.. 10 days in pattaya at Sailquest sailing school.. excellent course.. I also had plenty of practical experience but still learned enough to say it was well worth the time and money..
Sailing is one thing.. rules of the road something else..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 03:42   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraton View Post

Dstraton
Several Aus sailing schools will do a 1/2 or 1 day assessment for experienced sailors.

This one is the cheapest that I know of:
https://sailtimeaustralia.com.au/rya...ompetence-icc/

Also look at
https://learn2sail.com.au/sailing-co...ompetence-icc/
and
https://www.eastsail.com.au/learn-to-sail/advanced/icc/
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 03:56   #12

That is really helpful, many thanks!
dstraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 04:01   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I took the NauticEd.com courses for Bareboat Master and just this last weekend (June 2nd) passed the one-day on-the-water ICC Assessment which was located in Pensacola, FL. If you want to do the one-day assessment, contact Mark Thompson at mark@yachtingeducation.com. He is an excellent instructor/tester. He also instructs a 5-day RYA Skipper course in which you can achieve the ICC certification.

I know Mark, raced with him a bit when he was based out of Annapolis. Not only is he knowledgeable and professional, he’s also very funny and a lot of fun. Lots of Aussie charm.
Old 29-08-2018, 04:03   #14

Boat: Valiant 40
How to get ICC for experienced bluewater sailers

Quote:

I know Mark, raced with him a bit when he was based out of Annapolis. Not only is he knowledgeable and professional, he’s also very funny and a lot of fun. The best of Aussie charm and wit.

As an RYA instructor, he could alternatively assess you for an RYA certificate which might be more broadly useful than the ICC certification.

FYI he just got back from running a charter around Sardinia. I suspect he’s a good resource for chartering info in the Med.

Tags
Bluewater, enc, icc, sail, water