Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2021, 05:54   #1

Help me select the first training sailboat to start with

I am a mid age IT guy, complete newbie on sailing. But now I made my 5 year plan to learn and own a real sailboat. I will seek help for correct my learning plan in another thread.

I got the chance to buy small sailboat from 3 boats locally and I don't want to lose the chance. I haven't visit yet. But can someone provide first comments on these boats? Which one looks better?

(3) sail boats to choose from various masts and sails to choose from.

riverwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 06:52   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch
Re: Help me select the first training sailboat to start with

Any of them will get you going if you are only interested in sailing technique. If you are interested in sailing and future cruising, maybe a small boat with a small cabin.

Have fun.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 07:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
Any of them will get you going if you are only interested in sailing technique. If you are interested in sailing and future cruising, maybe a small boat with a small cabin.

Have fun.
Yes, it will only for my training and fun at local. How heavy this type of boat (assuming fiberglass)? I have a trailer maybe good for 1000lbs.
Old 20-01-2021, 07:25   #4

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwave View Post
Yes, it will only for my training and fun at local. How heavy this type of boat (assuming fiberglass)? I have a trailer maybe good for 1000lbs.
I would recommend that you inspect the boats with someone who is familiar with them. The decks and sails may be damaged or parts missing...
Getting a common model would also help when you are looking for replacement parts.

The trailer should be OK, but most of the boats at the local sailing school are launched with dollies. You should be able to find a used one.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-boat-parts-t...lbs/1505187061
Old 20-01-2021, 07:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
I would recommend that you inspect the boats with someone who is familiar with them. The decks and sails may be damaged or parts missing...
Getting a common model would also help when you are looking for replacement parts.

The trailer should be OK, but most of the boats at the local sailing school are launched with dollies. You should be able to find a used one.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-boat-parts-t...lbs/1505187061
Thanks for the comment. It will be great if someone experienced can advise but I am complete newbie and have no connection to sailboat owner.
Any advise on how to find such one in Ottawa, Canada?
Old 20-01-2021, 08:15   #6

Take the one that is complete ( rigging , sails etc ) and in the best condition. They will probably all sail much the same.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 08:55   #7

Boat: Jboats/j-100/33

I would suggest a different path for someone who is new and an IT guy. Buy an older (1990's) J-22 for about $3000. The J-22 is used as a training boat at many sailing centers like Sail Maine since it is a very good teaching boat. It has all the things you need to adjust the sails(boom vang, cunningham, twings, spinnaker pole, deck stepped mast which can be stepped by a single person(carefully) and older trailers are also available or could be made. It will however require that you go to a yard and have it launched. It also has a draining cockpit and may have a motor mount. J-22 weighs only 1800 pounds and has a sail area to displacement ratio of 24 which means it is fast. There are also one design options as well since a stock boat with standard jib is a one design and you could learn a lot about sailing if you find a club which has a fleet of J-22's for rent.
Sailathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 08:58   #8

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Get a boat that has more than just a mainsail. You want a miniature version of a small cruiser with all the same gear, just smaller. That way when you move up you will already know how to handle everything on the bigger boat.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 09:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailathon View Post
I would suggest a different path for someone who is new and an IT guy. Buy an older (1990's) J-22 for about $3000. The J-22 is used as a training boat at many sailing centers like Sail Maine since it is a very good teaching boat. It has all the things you need to adjust the sails(boom vang, cunningham, twings, spinnaker pole, deck stepped mast which can be stepped by a single person(carefully) and older trailers are also available or could be made. It will however require that you go to a yard and have it launched. It also has a draining cockpit and may have a motor mount. J-22 weighs only 1800 pounds and has a sail area to displacement ratio of 24 which means it is fast. There are also one design options as well since a stock boat with standard jib is a one design and you could learn a lot about sailing if you find a club which has a fleet of J-22's for rent.
Noted, good suggestion. I will shop online and check local club on J-22.
J-22 could be my next step. I really want to start from this sprint/summer. May just buy this boat for the practice this year and move on to j-22 next year.
Old 20-01-2021, 09:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Get a boat that has more than just a mainsail. You want a miniature version of a small cruiser with all the same gear, just smaller. That way when you move up you will already know how to handle everything on the bigger boat.
Good point, there are 3 boats to choose from. I will check if anyone has both mainsail and jib.
Old 20-01-2021, 09:28   #11

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwave View Post
I am a mid age IT guy, complete newbie on sailing. But now I made my 5 year plan to learn and own a real sailboat.
Not to pour cold water, but given that you have no experience whatsoever, my suggestion is rather than pull the trigger on getting a used boat up-front (and all the headaches that will go with it) - find and join a local sailing club first. They (probably) have lessons available, on their equipment, and in all likelyhood you can hone your skills (on their equipment). If you decide that this is really what you want to do? Then go boat shopping.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 10:36   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Not to pour cold water, but given that you have no experience whatsoever, my suggestion is rather than pull the trigger on getting a used boat up-front (and all the headaches that will go with it) - find and join a local sailing club first. They (probably) have lessons available, on their equipment, and in all likelyhood you can hone your skills (on their equipment). If you decide that this is really what you want to do? Then go boat shopping.
I got beaten to the punch. Join a club if there is one locally.
Have fun.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 10:39   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I'd suggest joining a club. There are several based on the Ottawa River, most offering a typical range of classes on Club boats, keelboat and dinghy racing where skippers are always after crew, boat storage etc not to ignore interesting talks and fun social events. Did I mention drinking beer at their bar? Perhaps not: Oh and beer drinking.

As well as learning to sail, some rules of the road etc, a bit of navigation, weather reading etc and you'll also become competent at rigging up. At Clubs I'm involved with we have a mix of dinghies for example, 420s, Phase 2s, lasers, a couple old Sunbursts and even an old 470, plus Paper Tigers (a type of cat.). Students are encouraged to try each different boat type, including rigging up.

You'll soon make friends, and of course they'll share the interest. Some will have their own boats and need help from crew. Get involved, show you're keen and you'll soon have sailing options without the responsibility of boat ownership and storage. Club participation facilitates trying different boats, having your questions answered from different viewpoints and having a bit of fun. And there are also a few old salts that seem to be able to fix everything and know how to do it. Hanging around at the hard stand can be a great way to spend some time (at least between stints at the bar drinking beer).

As an aside it never fails to amaze me when I am drinking beer around a leaner at a Club as I am somewhat inclined to do, some of the experiences people around have had. I recall one guy telling me about sailing Cape Horn, they even stopped at the weather station on Horn Island and were invited in to have a look around. A little while ago a chap I met told me about his trip across your beautiful country. He sailed the North West Passage east to west with 3 other guys. I've met people who have done circumnavigations of Australia, sailed to Antarctica, and one chap who sailed completely around the American continent (yes both north and south without using Panama). Rescues, storms, fantastic summers with family and friends in amazing places are great discussion points.

Where I'm stuck currently, as I write this post, are many people who've sailed from Europe to Fiji with all sorts of adventures along the way. And I'm not for a moment suggesting we should let actual facts get in the way of a good story, but the core basis is usually based on actual events. Have you ever heard the word yarn in Canada? We tell yarns and share laughs down under when we're drinking beer.

I know covid is making things difficult for Clubs (and life in general in many parts of the world, but normality will resume again (perhaps by your Summer).

From the photos, to be blunt, they all appear to be junk to me. Out in the weather, filthy, no dolly trailers. Presume condition of sails is similar. And yes those boats will be heavy, they're made of GRP. Sorry but I wouldn't waste my money on any of them. They're likely cast offs from a sailing Club when replaced by new boats.
Old 20-01-2021, 10:53   #14

I agree with garyfld. AND I know a great club near Ottawa which would be very suitable; Kanata Sailing Club. Look for their website. They have a big fleet of dinghies a bit like the boats you have photographed, for the free use of members. Costs are very low because almost all the work is done voluntarily by members. They also run lessons, and if you turn up alone they will do their best to get you on the water with a more experienced sailor. There is a welcoming, helpful atmosphere.

Only one problem; many communal sailing activities have been and will be severely hampered because of Covid isolation rules, so I don't know what may happen next spring.

btw, I suppose your photos were taken some time ago; all boats are under thick snow around Ottawa now.
Good Luck
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 11:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Thank you all for your advises, for sure I will join the sailing club this year. Hope COVID won't block the activities this summer.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, training