Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2021, 20:07   #31

Re: Help me select the first training sailboat to start with

riverwave:

I'm going to chime in again, and come right out and say: "forget the boat" - for now.

Join a club, get some "on the water time" then go boat shopping. You'll have a better idea of what you want, what to look for (and look out for).

I have 50 years and several boats (all used) in my wake. Some I owned and some were owned by friends and I helped with whatever (I like working on boats). The common denominator? The first year, more time was spent working on the boat than spent on the water.

I'm almost due west of you (Wisconsin), albeit several hundred miles, sail Lake Michigan and Lake Winnebago. Our sailing season is short, especially for dinghy sailing (unless you are very,very brave. This year, use that time to learn to sail. Then go find yourself a boat. You'll have a better idea of what you want, fall prices will (generally) be lower, and... you will have the whole winter to work on the boat.
garyfdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 20:41   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
riverwave:

I'm going to chime in again, and come right out and say: "forget the boat" - for now.

Join a club, get some "on the water time" then go boat shopping. You'll have a better idea of what you want, what to look for (and look out for).

I have 50 years and several boats (all used) in my wake. Some I owned and some were owned by friends and I helped with whatever (I like working on boats). The common denominator? The first year, more time was spent working on the boat than spent on the water.

I'm almost due west of you (Wisconsin), albeit several hundred miles, sail Lake Michigan and Lake Winnebago. Our sailing season is short, especially for dinghy sailing (unless you are very,very brave. This year, use that time to learn to sail. Then go find yourself a boat. You'll have a better idea of what you want, fall prices will (generally) be lower, and... you will have the whole winter to work on the boat.
Yes, summer is short here in Ottawa, that's why Canadian don't want to waste each summer day for me, I want to practice as much as can this summer beside joining a club training. Having one sailboat (less than $600) for myself now and I will spend time to ready it up for this summer. I know it makes more sense to learn and buy. But it really not cost a lot with this boat. I think its a good steal.
riverwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 20:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkshark View Post
Well I live in the middle of Missouri, only fresh water lakes to sail on, and was kind of like you 30 years ago. I bought a boat, myself and two children taught ourselves to sail. I started with a 16 foot Luger Leeward, I bought it from an old man that had a heart condition, his wife was afraid he would have a heart attack out on the water. Boat needed some work, but I don't think it is a bad idea to learn how to repair and replace rigging, etc. when learning to sail.
One thing is pick a boat that does not capsize easy, and is a little more forgiving, the small boats in your post all look like they would be easy to capsize. after a few years we graduated to a 22 foot Macgregor, kids and I did a lot of weekends on the water, camping in the boat, as it had a cabin. It was easy to rig and launch, a little tender in stiff winds, I did take it to the Chesapeake bay from Missouri one time, and down to West Palm Beach, lots of fun, lot of memories for me and my kids. My present boat is a 22 foot Starwind, same length as the McGregor but a much bigger and heavier boat, lots more room in the cabin, and stiffer in stronger wind. But about as big as I would want to launch from most boat ramps. It needs an extension on the trailer to get it to float off. I had to build an electric winch system to raise the mast as I could not do it by myself like the McGregor. Kids have grown up, moved away, so I only get a few weekends sailing now. The McGregor I could have in the water off the trailer in an hour easy, The Starwind takes 2 hours to launch, and usually 2.5 to get it out and ready to tow home. Can do it by myself but another person is handy.
Last fall I purchased a 19 foot Lightning racing boat, just about got it ready to try out in the spring, had to repair lots of little stuff, but by downsizing, I may get more time on the water.
So that is my experience, hope it helps you. I also have some other hobbies, but sailing is what I do when I need to relax, nothing better for the soul as a few days on the water.
Here we have a nice bay in Ottawa River. I am having a 16' fishing boat, its so nice just to be on the water. My daughter also loves to sit on the bow, with foot touching the water surface.
For the concerns of capsizing, yes I will be very cautious. For sure I will learn from sailing club first before sailing alone.
riverwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 21:05   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

In my experience with a very similar boat, RW, they are not at all prone to capsizing. Racing dinghies of similar size pop over easily, but these sorts of day sailors are quite forgiving... and it is a damn good thing or else I'd have drowned myself and my small kids many times over!

Jim

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, training