Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 18:57   #1

Handicap sailing?

Are there any sailing lessons for handicap? not for racing I just want to cruise around the world one day. I can only find handicap racing in sailboats.
Salty sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:23   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Handicap sailing?

Depends on what your handicap is. Would you need a boat specifically modified to allow you to maneuver the cockpit and sail it?

The mechanics of sailing don't change with a handicap, but perhaps private lessons would be in order so you could determine your specific requirements for sailing.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Depends on what your handicap is. Would you need a boat specifically modified to allow you to maneuver the cockpit and sail it?

The mechanics of sailing don't change with a handicap, but perhaps private lessons would be in order so you could determine your specific requirements for sailing.

Ihad a stroke when I was a kid. My right side is weak I do not walk correct anymore, I have little use with my right arm. I have peripheral viscount lost on my right eyes. And I do not have great balance.
Old 05-09-2017, 19:53   #4

Check this out: Where to Sail – United States Sailing Association

If you don't find what you're looking for there, I would also look up the nearest ASA sailing school and see how they can accommodate you. https://asa.com/find-sailing-school/
Old 05-09-2017, 19:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Check this out: Where to Sail – United States Sailing Association

If you don't find what you're looking for there, I would also look up the nearest ASA sailing school and see how they can accommodate you. https://asa.com/find-sailing-school/

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2017, 21:18   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

One of my favorite sailors was Tristan Jones who sailed on a flush deck catamaran in Thailand after he lost both of his legs to amputations. He scooted around on deck on a type of skateboard. He required help getting on and off the catamaran.

I am an ophthalmologist, and people who have visual field defects after a stroke need to take special precautions because of their limited field of vision. There are lots of ways to get hurt on a sailboat, and it's easy to get seriously injured when something comes from the blindside and hits you in the head or face. I have had patients blindsided many times over the years. If I had a major visual field defect, I would sail with a helmet and polycarbonate safety glasses as protection.

Balance is a bigger issue because boat motion can be a problem even for people who have normal balance. I have found myself thrown around by the seas when sailing offshore, and sometimes I fall down. Falling can result in fractures which are also serious problems when sailing offshore.

That being said, where there is a will, there is a way. With the right sailboat design modified to your special requirements, you could give offshore sailing a try. You would need a sea kindly boat with a predictable gentle motion. I would not recommend single handing. You would likely need to have at least one other crew member who could help you out with the rough bits when weather is less than optimal.

Good luck on your dreams. One of my favorite sayings is, "If you are going to doubt anything, doubt your limits." I test my limits every day, and if you are going to sail around the world, you will also be testing your limits every day.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
One of my favorite sailors was Tristan Jones who sailed on a flush deck catamaran in Thailand after he lost both of his legs to amputations. He scooted around on deck on a type of skateboard. He required help getting on and off the catamaran.

I am an ophthalmologist, and people who have visual field defects after a stroke need to take special precautions because of their limited field of vision. There are lots of ways to get hurt on a sailboat, and it's easy to get seriously injured when something comes from the blindside and hits you in the head or face. I have had patients blindsided many times over the years. If I had a major visual field defect, I would sail with a helmet and polycarbonate safety glasses as protection.

Balance is a bigger issue because boat motion can be a problem even for people who have normal balance. I have found myself thrown around by the seas when sailing offshore, and sometimes I fall down. Falling can result in fractures which are also serious problems when sailing offshore.

That being said, where there is a will, there is a way. With the right sailboat design modified to your special requirements, you could give offshore sailing a try. You would need a sea kindly boat with a predictable gentle motion. I would not recommend single handing. You would likely need to have at least one other crew member who could help you out with the rough bits when weather is less than optimal.

Good luck on your dreams. One of my favorite sayings is, "If you are going to doubt anything, doubt your limits." I test my limits every day, and if you are going to sail around the world, you will also be testing your limits every day.

I was really concern about the eye sight and balance. Because I can't drive because my state douse not allow me to. I want to get a girlfriend to sail with me to help me sail. When I was on a whaling trip in Alaska I was fine on the water till it started rocking I could hardly move. If I had thought I could have crawled on the ship but everybody was throwing up.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:19   #8
Marine Service Provider

We do not run handycap specific courses, but we would be willing to help you however we can. A private course might be best to get started - let me know how we can help you.

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 19:25   #9

I would approach Warrior Sailing. Since they aren't setup as a schooner se let them know you are interested to make a small donation and also support with your time and share your experiences and maybe other skills. They'd likely need everything from phone call help to admin coordination outreach etc.

http://warriorsailing.org

If you approach them respectfully they'd probably love to have you helping them achieve their mission. I'd start by linking to them through social media. Good luck !!

THE WARRIOR SAILING PROGRAM
Getting military service members on the water can provide physical, mental and emotional therapy for a variety of injuries and illness. Sailing is an outlet to cope with the long term effects of PTSD, brain injury, amputation, paralysis and nerve damage…plus it’s really fun way for our warrior sailors to express their most natural abilities: teamwork and competitive drive.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing