Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2020, 22:41   #1

Good starter boat

Hi again,

So, I've been looking at small sailboats that might be a good starter boat, that won't break the bank, and might last me a little while before I'd want to upgrade.

I found one that I think might fit the bill, but I'm not sure if it's just a little too big for a first sailboat (complete newbie).

What do you all think of an old Tanzer 22 as a first learner boat?

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/tanzer-22

Thanks.
traveler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 00:18   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Good starter boat

I don't see anything wrong with a Tanzer for your first boat except that it might SEEM overwhelming at first in terms of size or having to handle two sails. I remember when I was a kid learning I avoided any boat with a jib because they scared me, I wasn't sure what to do with that other sail out in front! I did a lot of my learning on an El Toro and then a Laser then Capris and Victories (I know those names probably don't mean anything yet, I'm just pointing out I moved up in boat size slowly.) And then the first BIG boat I got was 24'!
The Laser is a blast and super simple and you'll learn all the basics of how a sail makes you fly, and once your confidence is up then you'll fearlessly try bigger boats. It's a boat I'd still love to have!
But back to your question, I think the Tanzer is a good choice too!
Welcome aboard here and best of luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 00:19   #3

I’ll preface this by saying I have about 1/10th of a percent of the experience of most of the folks on here…

But I’d say that sounds like a fine starter boat to me. My friend has one and reports it sails nice (I’ve never sailed on it). I started on a Hunter 23 knowing nothing and feel like I was able to learn a lot and never felt like it was too much. It was still small enough so I could overcome many mistakes by “manhandling” the boat…during docking, handling the lines, etc. I made A LOT of mistakes. I’m currently looking to move up to something a bit bigger.

FWIW, I’d say after you buy your boat (and take some starter lessons), just as important is to choose when and where you sail. Starting off preferably in a protected bay or lake on days with somewhat light winds (idk...10-15kts)…particularly if you’re solo. Hopefully, someone will come along and correct me if I’ve said anything really dumb
Darin Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 00:23   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Cape Cod View Post
I’ll preface this by saying I have about 1/10th of a percent of the experience of most of the folks on here…

But I’d say that sounds like a fine starter boat to me. My friend has one and reports it sails nice (I’ve never sailed on it). I started on a Hunter 23 knowing nothing and feel like I was able to learn a lot and never felt like it was too much. It was still small enough so I could overcome many mistakes by “manhandling” the boat…during docking, handling the lines, etc. I made A LOT of mistakes. I’m currently looking to move up to something a bit bigger.

FWIW, I’d say after you buy your boat (and take some starter lessons), just as important is to choose when and where you sail. Starting off preferably in a protected bay or lake on days with somewhat light winds (idk...10-15kts)…particularly if you’re solo. Hopefully, someone will come along and correct me if I’ve said anything really dumb
Nope, we've run it through the vetting machine and came out clean, nothing dumb found!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 05:09   #5

Where will you be sailing, Traveler? Your location on your profile isn't completed.

That said, Tanzer 22 will probably be fine for your stated goals. Up here on Lake Ontario, a lot of sailors use them for weekenders (meaning coastal cruisers that you live aboard for weekends and sail in short hops to local harbours roughly 25 miles or less from your home port during the daytime).

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat