Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 00:31   #1

Boat: Catana 42
For Those Who Have Gone Before Me - Preparation For Yachtmaster Offshore -

I would love to hear from those of you who have gone for your Yacht Master Offshore Certificate!

We are currently getting ready for the exam in a few months and are interested in the experience of others:

What to expect
What to make sure I have completely covered before the exam
and anything else you think needs to be practiced and studied as much as possible.
We have well and truly covered the hours and experience but understand this is only part of the process for being ready.

At this stage, I think my husband will certainly attempt and I will see (currently hold my Day Skippers ticket).

Thanks in advance
the Miss
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 00:48   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: For Those Who Have Gone Before Me - Preparation For Yachtmaster Offshore -

I used this on Kindle as a reference but the other Amazon offerings might be just as good.

Otherwise, lights and shapes plus sound signals need to be known, irpcs also.

One tip for during the exam is to try to forget the examiner and just sail like you're the skipper of that boat, but on a day when you're doing everything very well
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 01:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Re: For Those Who Have Gone Before Me - Preparation For Yachtmaster Offshore -

Be confident in your abilities. I took the practical five years after the theory and gained alot of experience. If you don't know something, or are unsure, say so and then find the answer out.

Make sure you tell your crew what you want them to do and don't ask them to do things beyond their level of competency. Remember, if it goes belly up, it's your fault and responsibility!

Make sure that everything is stowed promptly, tidily and in the right place - be on top of the job and aware of what's going on both in the boat and in the wider area, don't be afraid to delegate and make sure you get information and feedback from the crew.

Good luck ��

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, offshore, yacht