Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2012, 14:12   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Experience vs Courses

I don't think there is any single best approach. Everyone learns differently, has different resources and different desires. I do agree, that learning eventually has to involve actual cruising time and I think actual cruising does that better than day sailing.

You could do some easy, short cruises on that 22-footer, you could charter with friends, you could take a course, or you could advertise as crew available. All are good options.

If you are going to shell out the money for a live aboard course, my suggestion is to do it someplace really nice, so you'll enjoy it as a great vacation as much as a learning experience.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 15:18   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I would vote for as much time as you can get on boats, sailing and docking (anchoring too BTW) will do you better then more seat time in a classroom or online.

I went the experience route btw. Never had a day in a classroom, be it sailing or engineering. But I'm weird that way.

As Captain Ron says, If its going to happen, its going to happen out there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 15:39   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
..................As Captain Ron says, If its going to happen, its going to happen out there.
Thanks, Sailorchic,- I like this quote......and when it does happen knowledge from experience and knowledge from course work will be advantageous. How many of us are faced with the choice,- do I cruise or stay home and take the course? If it comes to that choice I would be out cruising, but most people have the opportunity for both. I'm all for doing both!
Old 27-09-2012, 16:28   #19

I sailed for over 20 years with friends and as a first mate and only during the past 5 years taken ASA 101-106 classes, primarily to qualify to charter. The Coastal Cruising, Bareboat Chartering, and Advanced Coastal Cruising classes were entirely on the water (with textbooks sent out in advance).

For me, the classes were very helpful in expanding skills, especially transitioning from "crew" to "skipper". And the combination of theory plus hands on experience was most valuable.

USSailing has good classes also but the 4 schools nearest me were all affiliated with ASA.

Hope you find what works best for you!

Janet
Old 05-10-2012, 23:28   #20

Update to my original posts that started the thread: I took the ASA 104 aboard a Tayana 52 and within the last two weeks "skippered" a week cruise on the Chesapeake with three other guys. We were on a Beneteau 393 (weather helm is awful > 15 knots) and experienced perfect wind, no wind, and one 1/2 day with gale force wind and small craft advisory.

Signed up with sailopo.com, planning a late winter trip to BVI, and looking for ASA relatively close to Charlotte, NC. Might try BWSS for the next courses, such as ASA 106, 108, and 114.

Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement!
Jwh2ohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwh2ohouse View Post
Charlotte, NC. I travel during the week about 50% of the time in SC, NC, and VA.
I would recomend contacting the Power Squadron. as a good place to start.
Im mor fammiliar with the Canadian Power Squadron.
The Basic chart work they teach is the same basics taught to MMs

On line or class room is a personal thing it depends how you learn.

With ither finish of with a real life expierience on a boat with a good expierienced instructor. Just to get a feel for the real thing.

If you are interested in going further into celestial navigation it is interesting and well worth it if your math skills are good.

In any event good luck with it.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 15:00   #22

Im currently considering taking the colgate fast track to cruising course. Id be interested in anyones experience with that.

I grew up boating and did 3 summers of Canadian Coast Guard search and rescue on the great lakes. Ive also built and sailed a 16' mahogany whitehall style sloop with a gaff rig but have limited experience on larger boats. The end game is to qualify to charter and eventually purchase something 36-42 probably monohull as they seen good value these days.
Karnasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 15:24   #23

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I grew up boating and did 3 summers of Canadian Coast Guard search and rescue on the great lakes. Ive also built and sailed a 16' mahogany whitehall style sloop with a gaff rig but have limited experience on larger boats. The end game is to qualify to charter and eventually purchase something 36-42 probably monohull as they seen good value these days.
It sounds to me like you're the type of person with experience and judgment to take the next step on your own, if you want to. If anywhere near the water I would recommend getting a cheap, older boat, in the 30-foot range and start sailing. You almost can't lose out on cost if you buy old, cheap, and dirty, and sell old, slightly less cheap, and clean.
Old 08-04-2013, 17:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

It sounds to me like you're the type of person with experience and judgment to take the next step on your own, if you want to. If anywhere near the water I would recommend getting a cheap, older boat, in the 30-foot range and start sailing. You almost can't lose out on cost if you buy old, cheap, and dirty, and sell old, slightly less cheap, and clean.
Thanks Kettlewell,

I think that's good advise. I'm about 1 hrs away from any decent sailing but there is some sailing here (Ottawa) on the river. Had a scan of boats available locally, not much to inspire. Certainly nothing to introduce my wife to sailing on. The fast track was partially motivated by need to influence wife.

- get certified
- bareboat holiday
- turn wife into a believer
- buy boat, live happily ever after

I'm not in a terrible hurry and I can probably crew locally. This being spring if I volunteer for some shore work I can probably arrange regular spot. That plus Canadian Power Squadron certification might get me the chops I need.

I'll retire in a couple of years and buying a boat then will mean I actually have lots of time to sail it.

Thanks for the input!
Karnasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:44   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

"Experiences vs. Courses?" my answer is "YES". They are NOT mutually exclusive, but rather complimentary.

Courses provide you a structured learning environment and can greatly accelerate your learning curve, but there is no substitute for experience.

My suggestion to you (and to all of my students) is to take a few classes and then build experience. Once the skills and knowledge from the courses are old hat then sign up for the next one. Repeat this process until you are done...you will know when.

Beyond 103, I think yes ASA 104 is worthwhile because it introduces you to boat systems and gives you experience in a live aboard environment (notice in a later post you've now done this -- what do you think?). I suggest completing 105 (Coastal Navigation) and 106 (Advanced Coastal) also because Navigation and hands-on experience with longer coastal runs is important. After that, it's all about experience building.

(ASA instructor since 1994...currently cruising Panama).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:04   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I don't think there is any single best approach. Everyone learns differently................
I'm drawn back to this good observation from nautical62. "Different strokes for differen folks".
Old 08-04-2013, 19:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnasus View Post
I'm about 1 hrs away from any decent sailing but there is some sailing here (Ottawa) on the river.
Scuse me? You have Lac Deschênes which is very nice sailing. A great spot for a small cruiser. We were there in 2010 with our small boat.

Buy a smaller boat (16-24 ft) and sail the paint off of it. Get your certs there, try to induce the wife to come out on nicer days. Take her out for a good daysail, then pull into CVGR for the night, go up the street for a nice dinner, then have a romantic evening on the boat. (We did. Good stuff)

This will hopefully make her more open to the idea of a Caribbean charter.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:44   #28

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Sail some first , then take the courses. That's what works for me..

I've had motor/speedboats all my life , and I've crewed on boats once a week for two short summers , before I got my cheap 31" folkboat. I was NOT ready for any ocean crossings!! Crewing and being captain is two entirely different things!

I've taken land navigation(inc. celestial) in the armed forces, and have a land based SRC certificate from the same place, and have started studying for the ICC certificate (international small craft certificate).

This summer , I Will take some basic sailing courses. I do bellieve that I will benefit greatly from having tried the sailing thingy one summer on my own , before the courses.

But each man learns a bit differently.

.manitu
Old 08-04-2013, 21:00   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I didn't have as much experience as you before I bought and sailed a 26' sailboat throughout the Hawaiian Isles. Next trip was a delivering my new boat from St. Petersburg to Norfolk. Went on from there to build a Westsail 32 and sail it to SoPac. Most recent sail was a solo slide from SF to Hilo. Planning on a sail to Alaska next summer.

Never have taken a class. Read extensively then went out and did it. Classes do have an advantage in that a properly designed curriculum will give you experience that it may take forever to see in real life. Still, I'd rather put my money into a boat and sail it rather than paying someone else to possibly teach me something I don't already know.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 21:38   #30
cruiser

You need experience. Courses will help you live long enough to get it.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote