Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 06:43   #1

European Vs American sailing qualifications

Hi everyone! Does anyone know whether European sailing qualifications are generally accepted in the US when hiring boats etc?

I'm a sailing novice Brit who has somehow married a keen sailing American. We were planning on relocating from the UK to be nearer his family in California this year...but COVID has somewhat delayed those plans! We'd planned for sailing, including me learning my way properly around a boat to be a big part of our new adventure.

Now COVID has delayed us an moving plans are a bit up in the air, I'm wondering about trying to do my sailing qualifications upto 'day skipper' in Europe but I wondered if this was widely recognised in US when hiring boats for say a week etc? Or if I'd be best waiting until were based in the US for any courses.

Any advice really welcome!
TheNovice89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:04   #2

Re: European Vs American sailing qualifications

The USA only requires a license or paperwork to carry passengers for hire.

If you are just sailing or motoring as a hobby no license is required.

Sunfish to J boat.

Its called Freedom.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovice89 View Post
Does anyone know whether European sailing qualifications are generally accepted in the US when hiring boats etc?
generally yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST FRED View Post
If you are just sailing or motoring as a hobby no license is required.
He was asking about hiring (eg charting) boats, and the charter companies usually want to see some proof you have some sort of knowledge. And EU qualifications will (normally) be very satisfactory.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:09   #4

Boat: Adams 45

If you're looking at bareboat chartering, then check a representative charter company or two where you might be looking. They likely have more requirements than the government, but the times I chartered the requirements were fairly flexible. A reasonable sailing resume was sufficient. I would think your European credentials would be equally respected here in the USA by most charter companies, but check to be certain.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:10   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7

Some states require a safe boating certificate, depending on your age.
Paradoxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:18   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’ve never had any qualification beyond a sailing resume to charter in the US, Caribbean, and Belize.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:26   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Do the RYA VHF course whilst you are here, might be useful on the trip. Also a strong recommendation for the RYA one day sea survival course. It's both fun and very informative with stuff you need to know.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I never charter a boat, I have my own, but I wanted to sail in Croatia, where a license of a specific level is required. I took an online course with NauticEd.org, but to take that course, I had to pass a Florida Boating Safety course that is free with Boat/US. My US residence is Florida, but I live in Germany.

I have been sailing for 62 years, but I learned quite a bit from the NauticEd courses. I had to also take a 6 hour practical sailing exam in Tampa, FL.

The RYA wanted a six DAY course on the water and while I am sure that would be helpful to a novice, I was able to convince my examining instructor that my experience and skills were high enough in a six hour sail.

What is more important to charter companies is your sailing resume and that can be built only with time on the water, either as crew or as the skipper.

While it is true that a license isn't required to operate a boat up to a specific size in the US, in the interest of own's own safety, the safety of one's crew and nearby sailors, it behooves one to know what one is and should be doing.

As far as a Radio Operator's license, that is only a matter of paying a fee to the US government for a 10 year license. But...one should know the correct radio procedures, operating diction and etiquette.

Any good sailing course will teach Rules of the Road, buoy recognition, navigation skills, but only time on the water, preferably as skipper with good habits will convince a charter company to rent you their boat.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:26   #9

Hi,

We live in the UK and have our boat in Mexico.
All our training has been done in the UK up to Yacht Master.

I would suggest you wait and take your qualifications in the US as the buoyage is different over there . The Yacht Master does cover both sides of the pond, but day skipper only teaches you the UK regulations (IALA Region "A"). The US regulations are IALA Region "B".

I hope you find this useful and if you ever get the chance, the sailing on the Pacific side of Mexico is fantastic.

Best regards,

John.
P.S. I have some notes in word regarding the differences if you want to send me your email. They should still be current.
Bamboo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:40   #10

Boat: Carena 40

An ICC ( International Certificate of Competence) will suffice. I am American but live in The Netherlands. Both my wife and I have a Dutch ocean certificate (vaarbewijs II) which entitles us to an ICC. We have used this in the past to charter boats while in the USA.

I think that if you get the similar British qualification you can obtain an ICC
Make_My_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:02   #11

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
An ICC ( International Certificate of Competence) will suffice. I am American but live in The Netherlands. Both my wife and I have a Dutch ocean certificate (vaarbewijs II) which entitles us to an ICC. We have used this in the past to charter boats while in the USA.

I think that if you get the similar British qualification you can obtain an ICC
Dayskipper practical OR Dayskipper theory is enough to get an ICC.

It's used to be not unknown for the charter companies, in particular in Greece to issue ICC to people chartering their boats who didn't have formal quals. Perhaps after a quick spin around the marina. Afterall they didn't want to lose the cash by not letting the boat out.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo1 View Post
day skipper only teaches you the UK regulations (IALA Region "A"). The US regulations are IALA Region "B".
With all due respect, RYA Day Skipper teaches Buoyage schemes under the headings; IALA A Buoyage and IALA B Buoyage. Both equally clearly. The ASA doesn't.
Having done both RYA Day Skipper (and Yachtmaster Offshore) as well as ASA 101 and 103, I would say both are well worth doing. RYA DS is more comprehensive but not in a spectacularly useful way.
If in doubt.... Do it!
grahamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:18   #13

Boat: Other people's boats

The charter companies will have their own requirements; a local place I know will want to do an interview and schedule a check-out with one of their skippers prior to giving you charter approval.

My suspicion is that doing DS whilst in the UK may provide a more consistent level of instruction, but that isn't to say you can't find a quality school in the States. Certainly in the SF Bay Area you could, and the new school director at one has a UK & yachtmaster background. The differences in buoyage and tidal planning are different but easily learned.

You will benefit from the RYA VHF course as I think this is largely glossed over in the US. The only significant difference there will be the specific channels one might use. Oh, and you'll have to learn to pronounce "pan pan" correctly: the 'a' is the same as the 'a' in 'pasta'.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 13:15   #14

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Since you are in the UK sign up for the RYA scheme (lots of places do women only courses as well). Even if you don't 'need it' they are great courses, you learn tons fast and they will give you confidence. They start at competent crew and go through to an entry level professional skipper qualification. They are recognized world wide as the best qualifications going. Coastal skipper is the basic one for anyone wanting to be in charge of a boat in coastal waters but day skipper is fine if you see yourself as crew but do want the skill to take over in an emergency. As well as week long training courses you will do night school classes over the winter in navigation and all the other relevant areas like radio licensing. The only one that does not transfer is the radio license which has to be issued by the boats country of registration but I think you can operate a radio with your UK certificate.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 17:19   #15

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post

As far as a Radio Operator's license, that is only a matter of paying a fee to the US government for a 10 year license. But...one should know the correct radio procedures, operating diction and etiquette.
A license is no longer required to use a VHF radio in the US:

Ship Radio Stations | Federal Communications Commissionwww.fcc.gov › ... › Bureau Divisions › Mobility Division
Oct 9, 2019 - You do not need a license to use marine VHF radios, any type of EPIRB, any type of radar, GPS or LORAN receivers, depth finders, CB radio, or amateur radio (an amateur license is required). Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC.

You can still get one, and might need it to use the radio legally outside of the U.S. if you head abroad.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope, sail, sailing