Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 18:08   #16

Boat: Beneteau 50
Re: European Vs American sailing qualifications

I wouldn't wait. I have found that charter companies value experience, and in particular skipper experience above any of the qualifications. I have been sailing regularly for 3 years and have completed RYA quals up to Day Skipper, RYA long range radio operator and Sea Safety Survival courses. All definitely worthwhile for novices. (Sea Safety a MUST and lots of fun) You will get wet and learn a lot. But also get out onto the water and sail. If you don't have a boat yet then you will need to join a race crew, and do some deliveries, but that gives you the opportunity to learn heaps from experienced sailors and unexpected mishaps (someone else's boat breaking!).
My experience with the US in general is that its complicated, and you need to research the requirements by state.
While European qualifications may not be their preference, I would be surprised if you got knocked back for charter because of that. Your sailing resume is very important. Get out there and get started now - you need time on the water and **** to happen - the stuff you don't learn in classes.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:31   #17

Thanks very much all for taking the time to reply! Really helpful
TheNovice89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:32   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have a contact for you at the sailing school/charter in Santa Barbara if that is where you are going.

I noted REQUIEM mentioning pronunciation. The other one that always amuses me is when they talk of "booweys"(when they really mean buoys!)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC.

By “satellite communication” I assume that is referring to mounted systems, and not to handheld Iridium, InReach, etc?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 21:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST FRED View Post
The USA only requires a license or paperwork to carry passengers for hire.

If you are just sailing or motoring as a hobby no license is required.

Sunfish to J boat.

Its called Freedom.
Soo Fast Fred,

is no license required on the road from mini to F1 and 50 ton truck also freedom or danger?
MikeDofFreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:14   #21
Marine Service Provider

Charter companies and insurance companies only require one person on the boat to meet their requirements. If you are not operating the boat alone, or commercially, but sail with your "keen sailing American" who has sea experience acceptable to the charter company you should be good to go. Some US states require a "power boat certificate of competency" the test for which you can take on-line for free and its open book.

If you intend to use a VHF-FM marine radio you will need a "Restricted Radio-Telephone Operator Permit. No test is require . They used to be free but I think they charge for them now. Learn how to use the radio and, of course in an emergency use the radio all you want and don't worry about the permit.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 18:53   #22

Boat: Sabre 402

[QUOTE=j

If you intend to use a VHF-FM marine radio you will need a "Restricted Radio-Telephone Operator Permit. No test is require . They used to be free but I think they charge for them now. Learn how to use the radio and, of course in an emergency use the radio all you want and don't worry about the permit.[/QUOTE]

Where does it state this? What is the date of the information? Maybe back when you bought your last radio, but the current FCC website is quite clear that no licence is required now. Following is a more detailed quote from the current FCC site: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations

Who Needs a Ship Station License

You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft. The term "voluntary ships" does not apply to the following:
Cargo ships over 300 gross tons navigating in the open sea;
Ships certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry more than 6 passengers for hire in the open sea or tidewaters of the U.S.;
Power driven ships over 20 meters in length on navigable waterways;
Ships of more than 100 gross tons certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry at least one passenger on navigable waterways;
Tow boats of more than 7.8 meters in length on navigable waterways; and,
Uninspected commercial fishing industry vessels required to carry a VHF radio.
Ships required to carry an Automatic Identification System (AIS) transceiver by the U.S. Coast Guard regulations enacted pursuant to the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2000.
Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.

Radio Equipment You May Use

You do not need a license to use marine VHF radios, any type of EPIRB, any type of radar, GPS or LORAN receivers, depth finders, CB radio, or amateur radio (an amateur license is required). Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC.

If the OP were to register their vessel in the UK or elsewhere, THEN they would need a radio license, in keeping with the laws of their country of registry. If they register their "voluntary ship" in the U.S., no.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 12:30   #23
cruiser

I myself cannot understand what is now possible and what is not. I am trying to get information about permitted actions, events. They say yes. now you can. Then no, now there is a pandemic, what fees, what transportation. The devilry is going on and I would very much like to understand what is happening. Maybe this is a little going on in our region?
Kay Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 13:13   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

USA citizen permit valid in Croatia also for bareboat charter
Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA)
Basic Keelboat (USSA)
Bareboat Chartering (ASA)
Basic Cruising (USSA)
Bareboat Cruising (USSA)
Advanced Coastal Cruising (ASA)