Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 15:07   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subguy View Post
So here are my questions? What is the best way to learn to sail a keel boat. Will it be possible to Have enough experience in seven years to cruise the caribean? What are some good older boats to look and that are under 40K. in the 30-35 ft. range. that are suitable for ocean crossings? I really want to get a boat in the next 2 years so I can have it paid off before we start cruisng. Well that is about all for now. Unless somebody has more info I need to know. Thanks for any info.
Hi! Welcome to the group. I can relate. Last year, my husband and I decided we wanted to become sailors and cruisers (with the idea of setting off in 5-7 years), but we didn't know how to sail. We each took a 3-day sailing class at Lanier Sailing Academy to get our ASA Basic Keelboat certification. It was a great course, and we felt very comfortable taking the helm of a 25-foot boat by the end of the session. In another year or so, after we've had more practice on our local lake, we plan to take Coastal Cruising and the ASA Bareboat course.

I am sure you're going to get plenty of advice, but I might suggest not purchasing the boat until a few months before you want to sail. Otherwise, it'll just be sitting in the slip...you'll be fixing it up and paying slip fees, too, plus interest if you take out a loan. Instead, you might consider just saving up the cash in the next 5 years or so and paying for the boat outright. I know everyone has a slightly different way of looking at this; that's just my perspective.

As for what boat to by - with my inexperience, I am not touching that question with a 10 foot pole.

Good luck!

-SMcD
freetopick.blogspot.com
SMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 19:56   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
this is what these groups are all about. If you guys we any friendlier you would drag him kicking and screaming from his sub and force him on a local boat. Great crowd!!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 14:22   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I'm a little unique in that I don't think dingy sailing is necessarily the best way to go about preparing to cruise and I say that as a sailing instructor. I agree that on dinghy's things happen fast and one gets a lot of feedback, but the experience has little to do with crusing on a keelboat. Why not start with something more directly related to your end goal like a sailing course. Maybe take a basic keelboat course locally and then a liveaboard bareboat course someplace exotic. That may hook your wife more than dingy sailing...
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 16:36   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Dinghies are great fun but not for everyone. I think that older, less flexible people (like me) have a tough time starting on dinghies.

While starting on dinghies is great I think a light boat like a Catalina 22 is also a good place to start.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 18:18   #20

Boat: San Juan 28
Subguy - Last year I decided to learn to sail. I figured I would just buy a boat and go for it. I was about to drop $7K on a really nice newport 27. It would have been a fantastic deal. Unfortunately, the guy sold it to someone else that put cash in his face, after we agreed and shook hands on the deal.

The next day a friend told me about a local sailing club.

To use the club's boats, I had to take a three day class and get the ASA basic keelboat certification. The class was pretty good (a little crowded with 6 people on a Wavelength 24). Also did a lot of studying on my own.

Now instead of spending $7000 on a boat, thousands more on upgrades and repairs, and $200 / month for a slip, I pay $150 a month club dues. This gets me access to all their boats 25 feet and under, which is just fine for my current skill set. Once I get the next certification, I can take any of their boats out. They have three locations, so if I get sick of putting around Budd Inlet, I can go to Kirkland or Portland.

It's a really awesome arrangement and now I'm glad that guy sold the newport out from under me. If you can find something similar, I'd recommend it. It's cheaper than a free boat!
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 19:06   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Arch - That sounds like an awesome deal. Our club is similar but you have to pay for the use of the keelboats.

Monthly Dues - $50 US
Keelboat 1/2 day - $130 US
Keelboat full day - $200 US.

It was a good option at first but now I sail at least 6 times a month full days. At that point your own 25-27 footer makes sense.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 06:22   #22

Boat: Reuel Parker design Egret 31.5 Yawl
Hi - Sounds like a plan! Send me your email address and I will send you a spreadsheet with over 200 sailboats mostly 30-40 feet LOA, pertinent data and recent prices for the east coast. It should give you an idea of what some of the specs indicate about these boats. Specs not only such as LOA, LWL, Beam, Displacement, Ballast and so on, but also SA/DISP, WSA/Ton, Bal/Displ, D/L Ratio, Comfort, CAP, Vm/Vh, L/B, Lwl/B, ROLL ACEL, V HULL, PERIOD (T), P/B, LWL/B. BTW, I bought a Ranger 33 this past summer which was berthed in Hampton and is now in Mathews.
Old 13-03-2009, 18:19   #23

Boat: 1974 Ranger 26' "yankee runner"
Come a little south from Norfolk, and call Mike at East Carolina Sailing School in Washington, NC. Great people, and above all else, FUN! Sail on!
mjhdolfan is offline   Reply With Quote