Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 07:02   #31

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Re: Does anyone get the FCC license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That's funny. None of that came up in my search here, but I didn't even try google because I figgered I'd get what I wanted here.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:33   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I frequent hundreds of forums, and have yet to find one whose software's search facility comes close to Google's.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:35   #33
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Contacting a bascule bridge operator asking for an opening count as communicating with a base station? I'm all licensed up but curious about what counts.
That "foreign" is the key word there, modifies both vessels and base station.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:18   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I cannot say a thing about if you will ever get asked to show your Ship and operators license.

I will say that the "need" to have them is part of us law (the number escapes me) and those laws for the most part reflect international treaties.

There have been cases in the US where people have broken the FCC rules (make that laws) and been fined big dollars.

You takes your chances.

One case that comes to mind was a person who was using a CB radio (no license needed) and was fined $12,000 be cause he was operating it with a linear attached. The linear amp increased his output over the allowed limit.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:45   #35

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
You're right, I was remembering the FCC form asking for EPIRB info, so I forgot who actually keeps the database. It is NOAA that you register with, but the FCC still asks for the info if you have a station license -

How do I register an EPIRB?

Note that EPIRB data are requested in the MMSI registration process. This helps the Coast Guard correlate distress data and further increases the reliability of GMDSS.
We have a FCC station licence (and operator's permit).
Station licence is required by law if the vessel is contacting any foreign station, i.e. you sail out of USA waters.
EPIRB info is asked for during registration of the radio station with FCC but is not required. You can skip it (and if you obtain an EPIRB later, you may add the info to the FCC database).
EPIRB registration is with NOAA.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:51   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Let’s also presume you have other credentials and insurance at risk. I would not chance loss of my Masters credentials, insurance, confiscation of my passport, fines etc. It is possible to be stopped on the water by the authorities anywhere for a routine inspection or for training of new recruits. This is where the fine details are most likely to be checked, not at customs and immigration. C&I are not the police. They are about money and records. The police are enforcement.

ROXY and Canadian CG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A5DBA51-3E0D-45D1-8F80-1E70119693E4.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	177084  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:53   #37

Boat: J/42

Does anyone? Yes, obviously. I did too. It’s pretty effortless. Do any of your friends and neighbors? You can search the FCC database by zip code and find out. (Gee, I amthe only one. But it’s a very small town - more pilots than sailors. )
BTW, once you have a license, you get a real call sign. Any operator (e.g. Coast Guard) can type that into their computer and find out exactly who and what you are - no extra transponders needed. MMSI is just used to automate that process.

I doubt that anyone would ever ask for the FCC license unless you’re blatantly doing something illegal. But having it tucked into the folder with other ships papers, I hope, helps give the impression to any LEO that you have your s... together. “These are not the droids we’re looking for. Move along!”

But then again, bundles of official papers are probably giving way to automatic retinal scans and implanted microchips, anyway.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:03   #38

Boat: Stevens 47

I believe that the primary reason for getting a station licence and MMSI number from the FCC is that the FCC puts your vessel and emergency contact information in the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) data base so that if your EBIRB goes off in international waters the responding foreign rescue service has access to your information.

And yes, I have one.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:03   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
...The reason I'm asking is because I watch anywhere from 150-200 sailing channels and while they are all pretty detail oriented about preparations, I've never seen one of them mention it.
Because if you do not see it on the internet it must be not true.

I guess you just need to watch 300 or 400 channels before you find out what you need to know, or maybe just find a good book? It would take a lot less time.

It is very simple... for international travel you need a station license. There is an international agreement that every country will recognize each other's licenses. It is not a case of the US government "telling you what to do" while overseas. Although, as a US flagged vessel, they CAN. In this case, they negotiated on your behalf and saved you having to get a new radio license in every country you visit. Say "Thank you" and get the license.

Many (most?) other countries will not really care and never ask to see it, but it would kind of suck to arrive in Po-dunk-a-stan and have your radio equipment confiscated because you did not have the proper license that is required by international agreements.

We carry our radio licenses in our "check-in" portfolio and have them with us every time we check in to a new country.

Now, in the real world, I think the whole exercise of radio licenses for VHF, RADAR, EPIRB, etc is a silly exercise-like so much of the paperwork two step for international travel--but you do it because it is what you have to do.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:15   #40

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Never heard of anyone doing this. Does anyone?
Yes.

We have a Radio Station Authorization (Ship's Station License) for the boat and each of us have Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permits. I also have a General license for the SSB, and the EPIRP is registered with NOAA/SARSAT.

Along with licensing and registration, we also get proper operating instructions and rules. Ever listen to an idiot on the radio who obviously doesn't know radio rules or etiquette? Perhaps they also subscribe to the belief that registration is just another government overreach.

Should you ever have to activate the distress button on your VHF, the information provided by registering the MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Idenity) could help save your life. The MMSI is also used for Digital Selective Calling. (Using your radio to conned to a land telephone line.) It's also used for the AIS (Automatic Identification System) and the EPIRB.

If you're not going to travel outside the US, registration is not required. But why wouldn't you? There are so many benefits if you ever need help.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:23   #41

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Because if you do not see it on the internet it must be not true.

I guess you just need to watch 300 or 400 channels before you find out what you need to know, or maybe just find a good book? It would take a lot less time.
I appreciate your need to be snarky, but I didn't say anything wasn't true. What book would you recommend I read that will tell me if cruisers get the license or not?
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:23   #42

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

A lot of people have them around here where a lot of boats go down into Mexico regularly. I've never heard of there being any problems caused by not having one, but none the less a lot of people do have them. Also, if you're a ham (like me) I believe the FCC requires you to get a ship station license.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:27   #43
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Yes, got the FCC Station License and the FCC Marine Radio Operator Permit.
Had the Station License for all my boats, never been asked to show it however, but that could change tomorrow.
As mentioned above, cheap insurance with a proper MMSI number programmed into the VHF.
The Boat US MMSI numbers are domestic only and they don’t share ‘em with other nations.
No idea why anybody would not get a required piece of paper?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:17   #44

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

Cruising in the Channel Islands, UK and France, I have occasionally been asked for my callsign. You get a callsign with your licence. I had a licence with my very first VHF. It is a no-charge item there days, but it used to cost a little.

And you don't want to upset the Gendarmerie......
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:40   #45

I have a general radio for boat, and walkie talkies. Restricted Marine licence. Registered epirb and Mmsi for vhs.

If you should ever need to use the distress call or epirb, the CG knows who you are, where you are, what your boat is and looks like, and who is your emergency contact.

If an emergency or accident happens, you will probably be asked for your 'papers'. Much safer to have them.

And if your insurance company should decide you were 'operating without proper licence'... You know the rest.

And on a side note, a friend is setting up a bare boat chatter trip in Croatia. They asked for his California boating licence, too.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license