Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 10:49   #46

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Does anyone get the FCC license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That "foreign" is the key word there, modifies both vessels and base station.
Got it, I had misread the post and had separated the base station from the foreign vessel. Now it makes sense..
Old 09-09-2018, 10:52   #47

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainted View Post
I believe that the primary reason for getting a station licence and MMSI number from the FCC is that the FCC puts your vessel and emergency contact information in the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) data base so that if your EBIRB goes off in international waters the responding foreign rescue service has access to your information.

And yes, I have one.
Well, not really correct.
The reason for FCC registration is that the law requires it.
If you want to be rescued with a help from your EPIRB you need to register it with NOAA database which is the body that cooperates with international SAR organizations. FCC does not pass your info to NOAA!
But- if you talk to USA coast guard, or if a rescue authority contacts FCC, they will also get from the FCC some info that was keyed into FCC database during FCC registration.
So basically FCC (radio) and NOAA (EPIRB) are two separate systems that have some duplicate or similar info but each acting on its own.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:20   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Does anyone get the FCC license?

Yes I have both licenses, me and the Boat.
Way I see it is it’s like the FAA, nobody ever wants to see your pilots license, unless something happens.
Same I’m sure for a Ham license, and many others.
However let something happen, people complain that their TV reception is messed up etc, that is when you get into trouble.

An interesting note, the FAA has no jurisdiction whatsoever over someone that has never held an FAA certificate. They are certificates, not a license, there is a legal difference, but I’m unsure exactly what it is.
If they catch someone flying a Cessna and then have never held an FAA certificate, all they can do is call the local Sheriff and ask he issue a ticket for operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner.

I can see getting on someone’s bad side or maybe they don’t like Americans or are looking for a bribe, who knows, but an official can start asking for everything in the world and everything you don’t have, has a fine associated with it of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:21   #49

Boat: 2012 Leopard 46

Croatia, Montenegro and Greece have asked for the license. Although, it depends on where in Greece you go. More likely to be asked itlf you check k in near Athens. Also, Montenegro and Croatia may require a captains license also depending where you check in. ASA certificates were ok in Bar but not Porto Montenegro even though we had sailed the previous month thru Montenegro after checking in at Bar.

All the best!
svRoundAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:56   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"As well, I am wondering how the U.S. government is telling me what to do while I'm in another country or no country at all and can't do anything about my radio use."

They are not. They are *warning* you of what the international agreements and policies are, and warning you that radios are regulated that way--by almost every country.

Show up in some idyllic port without "Show us your papers!" and they have a great opportunity to make money by arresting you, arresting your boat, being generous and allowing you to perhaps pay fines instead...

But if you follow the FCC's postings, that won't be an issue. So thank the nice man for warning you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:10   #51
Marine Service Provider

Madwand, the US government is not telling you, the international treaty that the US government signed (on your behalf) is telling you.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:24   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater

"Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Radio License Information
An FCC ship station radio license is no longer required for any vessel travelling in U.S. waters which uses a VHF marine radio, radar or EPIRB, and which is not required to carry radio equipment. A license is necessary however for any vessel required to carry a marine radio, on an international voyage, or carrying an HF single sideband radiotelephone or marine satellite terminal."

Never heard of anyone doing this. Does anyone?
yes, this is a requirement for vessels on international voyage.
routinely this is checked when ships documents are checked-

in the US waters the FCC has changed to promote use of the VHF and EPIRB resulting with recreational vessels getting a free ride from licensing.
Canada will require the license with the FCC, not the MMSI with BoatUS.
Bahamas as well but they appear lax about enforcing.
The Sat terminal is referenced for vessels with satellite required communications in fixed install terminals.

go to the FCC page and look up "universal licenses" if you are going to travel out of the US -
The MMSI number utilized to register the EPIRB etc is free to boats staying inside the US-thru Boat US and other agencies- but the information data base is US restricted- when the FCC issues an MMSI number it goes into the global data collection.

Do not anticipate going international and returning unscathed if caught- at minimum it will cost money-more common is a combination of seizure of equipment, fines, vessel detention, imprisonment (as a terrorist or spy), all to save $115 or so.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:32   #53

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Years ago we were required to have a station license if we sailed in Canadian waters, so we got one. We also were required to have a Operators license to fly in Army aviation, so we got one. Recently our club (a Canadian club) sponsored a license seminar put on by the Canadian Power Sqd, so we attended and received the Canadian Permit. Education is never wasted.
It has been my observation that our ship's license is a whole lot more detailed on the Coast Guard system, than the MMSI entry maintained by BoatUSA. I may be mistaken in this but for that reason alone I am happy to have the US station license. When I call Prescott Radio, ( the Canadians handle our traffic on Ontario and Erie), I sure as hell want them to know who I am, and where I am at.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 13:11   #54

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
35 year, 70,000nm and 45 countries and I have never been asked for my radio licenses.
You've never been asked for your radio call sign? Kinda doubt that. It's on the majority of clearance docs. You get the call sign from the license.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 13:47   #55

I don't get the license and refuse to install a radio or EPIRB because of it. I have been up down and sideways on this issue with Senator Kirsten Jigglybuns of New York over this issue. I have had more interesting conversations with a stick than the Washington bureaucrats. Why in hell do I have to pay the cost recovery fees just because I venture 16 miles into Lake Ontario but someone staying less than 15 miles offshore doesn't? If there are truly administrative costs to recover how in blazes are they not necessary for domestic travel since the FCC regulates all the radio frequencies? This is nothing more than a blatant money grab. As for an EPIRB they are bounced off of NOAAs' SARSAT and are registered accordingly. The FCC and CG have nothing to do with it other than receive info from NOAA. Just another money grab. As far as I'm concerned they can stuff their licenses and I will take my chances. Good reason to insure you have a solid safe boat and keep your skills honed to a razors edge. Rant over and have a fun day.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 13:54   #56
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Sure, they're taxes.

Nothing wrong with paying taxes IMO.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 14:17   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Sure, they're taxes.

Nothing wrong with paying taxes IMO.
I'm all for paying taxes John but the double taxation (user's fees) drive me to distraction. We are already funding the FCC through our taxes so when we use a service then we have to pay again? This to me at least makes no sense especially when domestic boats are using the same frequencies and paying nothing. I will admit I could be missing something, but what, eludes me on this topic. I'm sure there will be no mass layoffs of persons employed at the FCC if no licenses are issued since they are already funded through our taxes. Of course I could be wrong.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 14:22   #58

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

To clarify. If I might contact another radio operator outside of US waters on a VHF then I would need the Restricted Radio Licesne (RR). So anyone chartering a boat outside the US would need one to be legal?
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 14:51   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Uh, you know that CBP sticker you have to buy when you come back into the US? The one that you can’t buy for 2019 until Oct 1? Guess when the fees increase? Right, Oct 1.
Anyway if that isn’t a tax, what is?
It’s just the way it is.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 16:56   #60
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, might as well rant on about the fact that death is quickly coming to take us and ours.

Rejoice in the fact we have the ability to pay them another year!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license