Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2023, 07:23   #1

Documentation to apply for an ICC from RYA while living outside UK

I did my RYA Day Skipper practical last year, and I'd like to get an ICC so I can charter a yacht in Croatia. I'm a UK / US dual citizen but currently living in Switzerland. If I'm interpreting the regulations correctly, I should be eligible to apply for an ICC from the RYA because of my UK citizenship, which I can provide supporting documentation for in the form of a copy of my UK passport.

However, the application also asks for proof of address, and don't have any of the acceptable documents listed on the application form. I don't have things like a UK bank statement, because I don't live in the UK. The only driving licence I currently have is from the US and doesn't show my current address. Anyone got any suggestions for what they might accept?

I'll write to RYA as well, but don't know how long it will take them to reply...

Thanks!
syperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 10:58   #2

Boat: Grampian 30
Re: Documentation to apply for an ICC from RYA while living outside UK

When I did my day skipper the training school included the ICC application with my paperwork and it was all taken care of. I can't remember if I got the ICC at the end of the course or if it was mailed to me. I live in Canada so same as you, no UK address. Perhaps the place you did your training can assist you if you contact them.

Or give RYA a call: 023 8060 4100 They answer the phone promptly and are helpful. I just spoke to them last week about renewing my commercial endorsement.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 11:17   #3

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

You should be able to get your ICC as a result of completing the day Skipper course because the practicum from the day Skipper course counts as the practicum for the icc.

I agree with just calling the rya. I've had to call them a few times and they are very helpful.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 11:46   #4

Sounds like RYA should be able to help me out. Thanks for the tips!
Old 29-01-2023, 11:52   #5

There seems to be a conflict with regard to residency in the UK being required or not required to obtain a UK ICC. Recommend discussing with the RYA to determine the present status.

Per reference to Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...tered%20vessel.

Snipet:
United Kingdom
International Yacht Training Worldwide (IYT Worldwide), The Royal Yachting Association (RYA), and the British Sub-Aqua Club (BSAC) are with the authority of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) approved to issue ICCs to those who meet the mandated requirements and the competency requirements.

ICC's are able to be issued by these Associations to citizens of Nations who are not signatories. In this manner, for example, USA citizens can gain the ICC. In the USA, NauticEd International Sailing Education facilitates the issuance of the ICC through the UK government via the Royal Yachting Association.

UK ICCs are for use on British registered vessels in the waters of foreign states that participate in Resolution 40, without the need to comply with those states’ national certification requirements. An ICC does not enable a British ICC holder to skipper a non-British registered vessel. If a British skipper wants to skipper a non-British registered vessel then he/she must be qualified per the regulations of the country in which the vessel is registered.
Say What and Why?????

The UK ICC was only available to British citizens or bona fide British residents. This has now been extended to cover other Nationals.

Whereas per the application for eligibility appers to be based on nationality AND residency. If that is the case then it appears that you qualify as to nationality, but are lacking in requisite habitual residential address.

As to the UK ICC specifically the application states that:

"It is intended for UK Nationals and UK residents i.e. people who are settled in the UK and whose primary residence is in the UK."

Perhaps the UK ICC application form has yet to be revised so as to provide for extending to other non-resident Nationals

Clear as mud,

Good luck.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 12:04   #6

You indicate that you have dual nationality UK & USA.

It appears that you could have the UK ICC issued using your USA nationality [evidenced by passport] and then not require UK residency. Go figure.

The USA has not adopted Resolution 40.

Snipet from the ICC application form:

Dual nationality
If you have dual nationality and at least one of those nationalities is of a country that has not yet adopted Resolution
40 (i.e. it is not listed above), you can apply for an ICC as long as you can provide the required evidence of your
nationality and identity. If you are dual national and both countries have adopted Resolution 40, then you will only be
able to apply for a UK ICC issued by the RYA if you are resident in the UK.
Please make sure that you understand the warning above regarding changes to residency status and the situation
when countries adopt Resolution No. 40.
In order for your nationality to appear on your certificate, you must provide evidence that you have that nationality, as
detailed in the RYA’s table of documents that can be used to verify identity and nationality for the issue of the ICC. If
you would like both nationalities to be shown on your certificate you will need to provide separate documentary
evidence (as detailed above) which verifies each nationality.
A second nationality can be added to an existing ICC if you provide documentary evidence (as detailed above) for the
nationality you wish to be added to your ICC.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 05:05   #7

Clear as mud is about right! Though I'm interpreting the phrase "It is intended for UK Nationals and UK residents." as meaning that both UK Nationals and (as well as) UK residents (of other nationalities) are eligible. So that's actually consistent with the wikipedia page.

Fortunately, RYA just wrote back and said that in fact I don't need to send them any proof of residency if I have a UK passport. Which contradicts what it says on their form ("All applicants must provide [copies of documents] ... which together verify their identity (name, address, date of birth, photograph) and their nationality"), but makes sense if residency is not required for UK citizens!

Onwards!

Tags
documentation, icc, men