Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 19:48   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Documentation of Sailing Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia Traveler View Post
I know this is an old thread but I didnt want to start a new one. I am also working towards my six pack and got 28 days of sea time working on a tall ship schooner this summer. I have a letter for that but I also sailed my own boat in the early 90's from San Francisco to Maine through the canal. CG says I need to show proof of ownership, etc, After 25 years, a divorce, and countless moves I don't have any paperwork(asking the ex to look in her stuff). The boat was documented but I don't think it is anymore because I did a search by name on NOAA and nothing comes up. Any ideas on what to do?

Her name was Cirrus and she was a Hans Christian 38 built in 1981 if someone here knows of her.
Thanks!
John
IIRC, there is a limit on how far back you can use time. I dont recall the time frame, but you might want to check before putting to much more effort into this.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 20:00   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I know this is an old thread but I didnt want to start a new one. I am also working towards my six pack and got 28 days of sea time working on a tall ship schooner this summer. I have a letter for that but I also sailed my own boat in the early 90's from San Francisco to Maine through the canal. CG says I need to show proof of ownership, etc, After 25 years, a divorce, and countless moves I don't have any paperwork(asking the ex to look in her stuff). The boat was documented but I don't think it is anymore because I did a search by name on NOAA and nothing comes up. Any ideas on what to do?

Her name was Cirrus and she was a Hans Christian 38 built in 1981 if someone here knows of her.
Thanks!
John
There are seven pages of boats named Cirrus now out of register on the PSIX site. if you insert the owner name in the query page you may get lucky.
Old 20-12-2018, 06:36   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

Thanks for the responses! I found a picture of her when I first bought her with the CA registration numbers on the bow. I'll see if that will be sufficient. Belizesailor, I spoke with someone at USCG and made a point to say the dates of the sea time. She didn't say anything but I'll be sure to read the forms carefully.
Thanks again
Acadia Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 10:00   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Thanks for the responses! I found a picture of her when I first bought her with the CA registration numbers on the bow. I'll see if that will be sufficient. Belizesailor, I spoke with someone at USCG and made a point to say the dates of the sea time. She didn't say anything but I'll be sure to read the forms carefully.
Thanks again
Any time limits, as well as eveything else to do with USCG Licensing, are documented on the National Maritime Center web site...somewhere.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/merchan...er_credential/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 16:43   #20

Boat: Various

Quote:

Thanks!
John
I had to go back and find proof of ownership of old boats. Thing is that it's all there, somewhere, just hard to fin. Go back to thinking of who you bought it from and was it registered ever or just documented. Call the CG documentation center and see if they can search old documents in your name and I'll bet they can, even if not fast. They may be able to retrieve by that or boat's name, but I'm betting more likely by your name. How did you sell the boat? Might be some record somewhere of that.

You didn't save paperwork, but the CG and states and others probably did, if only they can locate it. May be someone else in the line that saved. I actually found in 2012 that the Sea Ray dealer had sales records back to 1983 in a storage facility. A maritime attorney can find the rules if the CG doesn't volunteer them.

There is also one other option. That is to gather attestations from others who would know. Written statements notarized. Not an easy route but if all evidence supports your statements then they will allow at some point, although often not at full value.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, enc, men, sail, sailing