Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 04:30   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Day skipper instructor in Greece

We are in the process of buying a Lagoon 380 in Lefkada, Greece. we will need our RYA day skipper practical qualification for insurance purposes before we take the boat out onour own.

Does anybody know of a qualified RYA instructor who would do the course with us on our own boat in the Lefkada area.

many thanks

Paul & Tracey
Haywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 05:09   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Day skipper instructor in Greece

check with Sunsail. They have many bases in Greece and as its the end of the season they will likely have a Cruising Instructor around - or know of one in the area. Sunsail head office in the Southampton area or if you are in Greece already you may have to google the nearest base. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 15:06   #3

Boat: Jenneau 45
Talking Re: Day skipper instructor in Greece

Hi
I am a yacht aster instructor and examiner (retired), and spend a several months a year sailing my own boat in Greece

I would consider doing a Day Skipper course, shore based over the winter, and then do the practical at a uk ,tidal, RYA sailing school

Having done that boat handling and mooring in Greece also needs practice and experience.
One of the most basic and essential requirements is wind awareness and in particular reversing whilst laying an anchor and going "stern to".

Anchoring in Greece is a way of life and must become second nature. Most town quays that you will visit in the Ionoian or Agean will be crowded, and mooring can be stressfull until you become used to it.

Having said all that Greece is an amazing sailing area, and so enjoy.

My boat presently in the Agean is names Josephine. If you see us come and say hello.

Ray
Raythesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 08:30   #4

This should help: Where's my nearest RYA training centre?

Note that the course may be conducted on your own boat but will need to be arranged under the auspices of a recognized RYA training centre. If you hire an individual instructor directly (i.e., on a freelance basis), they will be able to provide excellent tuition but will be unable to provide the RYA course completion certificates required by your insurer.

I second the suggestion that you take the Day Skipper shore-based theory course prior to the practical course.

P.S. You should carefully review the insurer's requirement before signing up for any Med-based instruction. Specifically, check to see whether the Day Skipper practical certificate needs to be 'tidal'.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 11:56   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

If it's just a piece of paper you want then it might be worth asking the insurance company if an ICC certificate would be OK.

Would probably be easier to get as it's not a course, just an exam and generally maybe more likely to keep any officials quiet round the Med if they feel the need to see some sort of skippers ticket.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 15:08   #6

That's a valid suggestion.

If you are already skilled sailors/cruisers, and just want a piece of paper to satisfy the underwriter, it makes sense to go for the quickest, easiest and cheapest option: and the ICC certainly fits that bill.

Of course, even if you have lots of experience you might want a course to polish or refresh your skills; and RYA Day Skipper (or perhaps Coastal Skipper) would be an excellent choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and best wishes for happy cruising on the new Lagoon.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 19:00   #7

I'm getting my Day Skipper cert this summer in Lefkada through the Seafarer Sailing School (Learn To Sail in Greece - RYA Sailing School in Ionian). Obviously I can't tell you how they are since I haven't gone yet, but just from email and phone conversations they have been very helpful and seem very reasonably priced.
thejerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, thejerbear.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:27   #9

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

I'd suggest Sail Ionian in Vlikho Bay (Greece RYA Sea Sailing Course. Learn To Sail In Greece. Greece RYA Sea School Sail Boat Course), which is an RYA training establishment and can also test you for the ICC if you're already competent. For info on Vlikho see the World Cruising Wiki at http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Vlikho.

I used them to examine me for the ICC in 2013 before heading up to Montenegro (where the ICC is required for entry). Took a couple of hours practical plus a short written test and all very painless (albeit that was on the back of 35 years' sailing experience).

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 02-01-2016, 12:13   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Hi Guys

Thanks very much for your help and advice.

We got sorted out through Aegean Sailing School and will be going out in March do do our course.

Paul & Tracey
Haywoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, skipper