Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2022, 08:43   #1

Boat: FP Helia 44
COD Renewal Multiple Years

Greetings,

Working through the official USCG Gov site to renew my CD. I don't see any option to order multiple year COD.

The instructions somewhat imply that online you can just pay the multiple years and make a note in the comments. Doesn't feel right.

Any suggestions on how to get a multiyear COD?

CC
Heliades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:43   #2

Re: COD Renewal Multiple Years

I renewed ours recently and didn’t have a choice to do anything but a 5 year renewal. I believe you will find that the Coast Guard is only doing 5 years now.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:00   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Just rec'd my renewal in the mail (the real CG renewal) and they indicate on the form that 1-5yr recreational vessel endorsements are available at $26/yr.

Similar endorsement options are available online.
From the website:

"Recreational vessel owners who wish to apply for a multi-year (1-5) COD may do so by submitting CG-1280 CERTIFICATE OF DOCUMENTATION APPLICATION FOR RENEWAL and making payment ($26.00 per year requested, not to exceed $130.00 for a 5-YR COD)"
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:23   #4

Boat: FP Helia 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Just rec'd my renewal in the mail (the real CG renewal) and they indicate on the form that 1-5yr recreational vessel endorsements are available at $26/yr.

Similar endorsement options are available online.
From the website:

"Recreational vessel owners who wish to apply for a multi-year (1-5) COD may do so by submitting CG-1280 CERTIFICATE OF DOCUMENTATION APPLICATION FOR RENEWAL and making payment ($26.00 per year requested, not to exceed $130.00 for a 5-YR COD)"

I have read that but there is no option for multiple years when I go to pay.
Heliades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:31   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Give them a call and they can walk you thru the process.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:33   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliades View Post
I have read that but there is no option for multiple years when I go to pay.
The online payment form isn't set up for it yet. To do multiple years, you need to mail a check. I can't confirm that actually works, as I was in a foreign port and paid online. But that is what they told me when I emailed them and asked.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:39   #7

Boat: Tartan T4400

When I renewed a couple of years ago you could not due mulyi year online. You had to mail in application and payment. It took about two week to recieve new documntation in mail.
Old 16-09-2022, 20:14   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

I received a fraudulent renewal notice in the mail. No where in the notice does it say that they are not the official site. Going to their website has a statement that they are a "Vessel Documentation Online Private Processing Firm" in block letters next to a picture of a USCG patrol boat.

It also states that a law change in 2018 a provision that recreational CODs will be issued for a validity of 5 years. What have I been doing since then getting one year renewals??? This is obviously fraud. At one point on the letter sent it does say that this is a private online application portal. This could easily be misinterpreted as it gives you privacy and not that it is a private company.

The site is www.nvdcrenewal.us. BE CAREFUL FOLKS. They do everything they can to imply that this is a US government notice.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 20:51   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I received a fraudulent renewal notice in the mail. No where in the notice does it say that they are not the official site. Going to their website has a statement that they are a "Vessel Documentation Online Private Processing Firm" in block letters next to a picture of a USCG patrol boat.

It also states that a law change in 2018 a provision that recreational CODs will be issued for a validity of 5 years. What have I been doing since then getting one year renewals??? This is obviously fraud. At one point on the letter sent it does say that this is a private online application portal. This could easily be misinterpreted as it gives you privacy and not that it is a private company.

The site is www.nvdcrenewal.us. BE CAREFUL FOLKS. They do everything they can to imply that this is a US government notice.
Yes, be careful, but also know that it is not fraudulent. "Vessel Documentation Online Private Processing Firm" makes it pretty clear that it is not an official government site. If you use their service, you will get your documentation, it'll just cost more. There are reasons one might choose to pay such a service. If you have a large fleet, or some difficult situation in a sale, etc. It also might be faster, similar to the DMV processing services where you pay someone to wait in line for you, and they have a connection at the DMV so they don't have to.
Old 20-09-2022, 11:09   #10

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Yes, be careful, but also know that it is not fraudulent. "Vessel Documentation Online Private Processing Firm" makes it pretty clear that it is not an official government site. If you use their service, you will get your documentation, it'll just cost more. There are reasons one might choose to pay such a service. If you have a large fleet, or some difficult situation in a sale, etc. It also might be faster, similar to the DMV processing services where you pay someone to wait in line for you, and they have a connection at the DMV so they don't have to.
Yep,sleezy, slimey, deceitful, profiteering, deliberately misleading, charging many times the $$$ of the legitimate Gov't site, and preying on the uninformed . . . . but

"not fraudulent"

Yep, you're certainly correct there . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote