Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 12:27   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Captain’s License Class

I’m taking a class to prepare for the captain’s license exam and one of the students was commenting that he bought his first boat in February. While he was examining his new-to-him electrical panel, he noticed a switch for an anchor light. He turned the switch on and went up forward to look at his anchor but was disappointed when he found there was no light Illuminating the anchor.

True story.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 13:22   #2

Re: Captain’s License Class

Does the test cover running boat systems?

Should a licensed bus driver also be a certified mechanic?

You started somewhere too. No point in pointing and laughing at those at a different place in the learning process, particularly those behind you.

Remember, there's someone with more knowledge than you pointing and laughing at you too.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 13:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

That should be copied to the "new joke thread"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 13:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

You started somewhere too. No point in pointing and laughing at those at a different place in the learning process, particularly those behind you.

Remember, there's someone with more knowledge than you pointing and laughing at you too.

It should cover COLREGs lights. In which case the student should know what an anchor light is!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 14:39   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:

To sit for just an OUPV requires 360 days of sea time. For someone to attest to that time and not know where an anchor light should be is scary.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 15:19   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:

First, I suggest that you lighten up. The student to whom I’m referring brought it up because he thought it was funny. What adds irony to it is that to qualify for the most basic captain’s license, you must have at least 180 days of experience on the water.

Of course, if you have no sense of humor then everything seems sad and your point is well taken.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:03   #7

Quote:
Good point. And absolutely true.

And for those who mention the 360 day requirement, it is entirely possible that this person was taking the class just to educate himself, with no intention of applying for the license immediately upon completing the class.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
To sit for just an OUPV requires 360 days of sea time. For someone to attest to that time and not know where an anchor light should be is scary.
To get a license requires 360 days and a Class and a Test. To show up for a class requires enrollment and tuition. Story could be Day 1 of class.

360 sea days could be running lines and never see the wheelhouse (technically).

If a licensed 6 pack captain or 50-ton master said it, itwould be concerning. Someone at the beginning of the process.......whatever.

The longer you've been around, the more stupid stuff you see. Pointing and laughing at others as they work up skills and experience is simply sophomoric.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
The longer you've been around, the more stupid stuff you see. Pointing and laughing at others as they work up skills and experience is simply sophomoric.
Been on an around boats since I was 12. For the record, I never laughed at anyone. But I will stand by my statement that it is scary for someone who is taking a prep class for a licensing test, should know the basics that are taught in a safe boating class.

Keep in mind, that upon passing will be responsible for the lives of others.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:25   #10

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
I’m taking a class to prepare for the captain’s license exam and one of the students was commenting that he bought his first boat in February. While he was examining his new-to-him electrical panel, he noticed a switch for an anchor light. He turned the switch on and went up forward to look at his anchor but was disappointed when he found there was no light Illuminating the anchor.

True story.

If this guy's such a noob, how's he going to document the 720 days required for his license? Or is he just taking the class for fun? Of he's trying to learn about boating safety, a Captains Course is not the best way to do that. More about passing the exams than running boats.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:07   #11
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:

True story.

damn!!!!!!!

I went and checked and mine doesn't come on either
Old 08-08-2019, 12:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Keep in mind, that upon passing will be responsible for the lives of others.
You don't know if that is true. Some people take classes with no real intention of ever getting the license. I personally know two such people.

He will either learn, and pass the test, and there is nothing at all "scary" about that. Or he won't learn, he will NOT pass the test, and there is nothing at all "scary" about that either. He is trying to learn. You can find that "scary" if you want to, but it doesn't scare me at all to hear that someone who knows very little is trying to learn more.

And while a captain's class may not be the best way for a complete noob to learn, I have seen people on this forum recommend such a class as a good way to learn the rules of the road. It's entirely possible that he got into the class not really knowing enough to even know that it might not be the best class for him.

He's trying to learn, for God's sake. Give him a break!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 13:35   #13

Boat: Columbia 36

I spent about 20 years teaching those courses with three different schools. We did get some students who for whatever reason would not be eligible for a license. No sea time, criminal record, medical reasons, whatever. I always advised them that there were better venues to gain basic boating knowledge at a far lower cost, but never had one quit because of it. As long as they knew they weren't going to get a license out of it, it was ok.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 09:50   #14

Quote:

True story.

I though it was funny.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, license