Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 12:09   #46

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
While I have nowhere near Phil's qualifications I nonetheless feel that he gives the PCOC more credibility than it deserves.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 18:35   #47

Re: Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card !

I don't have as much expertise as Phil out on the water but as the holder of one pcoc card I agree with his statements completely.
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 19:44   #48

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card !

My apologies for my uncalled for rant concerning the Canadian PCOC. I should keep my feelings to myself.
I suppose any sort of qualification, no matter how rudimentary, is better than nothing. At least it shows some sort of exposure to rules of the road in a marine environment and perhaps the opportunity to at least watch some one with boat handling skills.
Far and away the most profound learning experience I ever encountered was working with and watching the old salts in the PNW who had driven ships across both oceans during WWII and lived to tell the tale. One old geezer back in the 60's would regale us with stories of the Murmansk run in horrible weather with questionable but floating equipment. He was one of the last guys alive who who done the Horn in a square rigger to San Francisco when he was a cabin boy, younger than I at the time I went to sea. A picture of his old vessel still hangs on the wall of the 'Red Sails' restaurant in San Diego. These old dogs could handle any ship in any weather long before there were such things as weather reports. They were all wonderful teachers, knowledgable, patient, but unforgiving. You learned quick or got a cuff up the side of the head.
They are all gone now but I often wonder how the newer crew coming up would fare under the conditions they sail in.
I measure a man's seamanship against these guys and hope I could stand in their shadow. I feel very fortunate I had the chance to sail with and learn from them. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote