Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2022, 18:10   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
Best Online course for USCG Masters licensing?

Hi all-

Anyone have any recommendations (or warnings) for online courses to satisfy the USCG testing requirement for a 100T Masters license? I've seen several folks reference these organizations:

https://www.marinerslearningsystem.c...icense-courses
https://trlmi.com/

Any other good options?

Cheers- Matt
Old 03-09-2022, 05:31   #2

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'
Re: Best Online course for USCG Masters licensing?

Go to the National Maritime Centers website. They have a drop down menu where you can select the class(classes) you want and it will tell you everyone who is approved to teach them.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/national_maritime_center/

Click on Course Provider/DE/QA Info.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoater917 View Post
G it will tell you everyone who is approved to teach them.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/national_maritime_center/

Click on Course Provider/DE/QA Info.

Thanks... unfortunately the list is nearly 1200 pages! And it doesn't distinguish between online and classroom based. So while the info is in there somewhere, it's not very useful or user friendly.
Old 05-09-2022, 18:26   #4

I think you might find an online-only course option doable...but less desirable.

Here is the issue: To be approved as a certified teaching organization, they have to offer proctored tests. An online ONLY organization can't do that and would have to send you to the USCG testing center to take one of the regular USCG tests. The questions on the official USCG test are randomly selected from a list of about 12,000 (I think that's right, but a LOT). They are very tough to study for and pass.

A classroom based organization can write their own tests (with USCG approval) and hence they can, at least a little, "teach to the test" and their pass rate is really high (or should be!).
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 18:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
I think you might find an online-only course option doable...but less desirable.

Here is the issue: To be approved as a certified teaching organization, they have to offer proctored tests. An online ONLY organization can't do that and would have to send you to the USCG testing center to take one of the regular USCG tests.

Yes, having to go to a USCG testing site would be a pain. But... at least some of the online courses offer a proctored, at home, test that you take using a webcam.
Old 05-09-2022, 18:34   #6

A friend who let his 100t masters license lapse just took an in-class 2-week course. Out of 25 students that started, a few dropped in first week, a few more dropped the second week. A few failed the final exam.

I have my 100t since 1998. There is no way I hell I could pass without dedicated classroom time. You have to pass the Rules of the Road with 90% which requires a LOT of repetition for learning.

If you can't spend the time dedicated to a study course, don't bother.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 18:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
There is no way I hell I could pass without dedicated classroom time.

Everyone has their own preferred style of learning. There's no reason that an online class can't be as effective in test prep as an in-person class... IF it's done properly. Hence my question.

I'd almost prefer the intensive 2-week course as it would be done sooner. But the way my schedule is playing out doesn't really allow for that.
Old 05-09-2022, 18:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Everyone has their own preferred style of learning. There's no reason that an online class can't be as effective in test prep as an in-person class... IF it's done properly. Hence my question.

I'd almost prefer the intensive 2-week course as it would be done sooner. But the way my schedule is playing out doesn't really allow for that.
As someone who has done it and several friends who have too (friends who have achieve a fair amount of success in life including building companies employing dozens of people) there is universal agreement that your life gets put on hold while you study. There is nothing else in life. If you other priorities that interfere, you greatly diminish your chances of success.

Best I can tell, you have a 60%-70% chance of passing if you 100% dedicate the classroom time (and i mean dedicate). Doing it online reduces that. So I ask the famous question. Do you feel lucky?

Best success. Please update with your experience
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 23:57   #9

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

I worked as a qualified instructor and proctored up to 200 ton near coastal deck licenses for US Captains Training and it was rather straightforward. This was some years ago, I am no longer affiliated.

https://uscaptainstraining.com

You have access to the classroom lecture materials, you complete the syllabus, the instructors are available for questions and they do interact personally with the students to help complete coursework.

Upon completion you go to an approved test facility for US Captains Training (there are many) and the proctor (e.g., someone like me) watches while you take the test. They might be offering online proctoring now, I don't know, it's been a few years.

I self-studied for all of my licenses but am an outlier. I don't get a whole lot more out of a room than I get out of a book. Everyone learns different and yes I recommend schooling (statistically speaking), but what type is entirely up to your style of learning.

I found this school to be competitive on cost and bare bones in materials (this isn't an admonishment, they teach what you need to know for the license) and was a very helpful and friendly family style business operation.

I understand this is the typical model for online schools. You don't just typically go to a USCG facility for exams if going through school for a <500 ton ticket.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:02   #10

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

NorthEast Maritime has online proctered courses.

You can also just use the NMC site to ensure the school you're using actually is USCG approved.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:48   #11

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:

Here is the issue: To be approved as a certified teaching organization, they have to offer proctored tests. An online ONLY organization can't do that and would have to send you to the USCG testing center to take one of the regular USCG tests.
No longer true. USCG has authorized Mariners Learning Center to do online exams. Probably other schools as well. I used to proctor for MLS, the change cost me a part time job. It's all online now.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:29   #12

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Here is the issue: To be approved as a certified teaching organization, they have to offer proctored tests. An online ONLY organization can't do that and would have to send you to the USCG testing center to take one of the regular USCG tests. The questions on the official USCG test are randomly selected from a list of about 12,000 (I think that's right, but a LOT). They are very tough to study for and pass.

Nope. I took the Mariners Learning System course last winter and took my exams (did the Masters upgrade and sailing endorsement) completely online on my laptop.

To the OP, I was very satisfied with MLS, but some people do learn better in a classroom environment vs self-directed at home.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:41   #13

Boat: Lagoon 39

Just curious... are you taking the exam because of the passion and interest or is it to pursue any commercial opportunities? Or are there any other reason to pursue this?
macieknan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macieknan View Post
Just curious... are you taking the exam because of the passion and interest or is it to pursue any commercial opportunities? Or are there any other reason to pursue this?

I've just spent the last 10 years circumnavigating on our boat and have moved back to land. Still trying to decide my job options, but I think I'd prefer to try something marine related rather than going back to IT/ Law. I've got the knowledge and sea time to support the ticket, so I figured it can't help but expand my options (either now or even a few years down the line). The cost is not excessive, and it will give me something to focus on while I simultaneously pursue other options.
Old 18-04-2023, 19:34   #15

Quote:

Here is the issue: To be approved as a certified teaching organization, they have to offer proctored tests. An online ONLY organization can't do that and would have to send you to the USCG testing center to take one of the regular USCG tests. The questions on the official USCG test are randomly selected from a list of about 12,000 (I think that's right, but a LOT). They are very tough to study for and pass. Often students want to pass tests the first time and want to understand what the structure of the exam will be. But I think it's dangerous. Studying reasoned
Essays based on information from the US Coast Guard https://edubirdie.com/examples/argumentative-essays/ I understand that small boat safety could be improved if all students took more difficult tests. Of course, using online learning platforms is easier, but you yourself should understand that it is more important for you to pass tests on the first try or have better knowledge.

A classroom based organization can write their own tests (with USCG approval) and hence they can, at least a little, "teach to the test" and their pass rate is really high (or should be!).
I agree with you. I think that online training is suitable for introductory acquaintance with the necessary knowledge. But this is not always good and not always necessary. I think it's better to contact certified organizations to take tests.
ConneyNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast