Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 10:34   #1

Bareboat Charter Recommendations

Good morning. I am considering chartering a boat somewhere in the Caribbean next summer. My wife and I are currently ASA certified but the school was the extent of our experience.

Can anyone recommend a solid chartering service in that area? Looks like there are many to choose from. We have never chartered a boat before and would like to continue learning without being hassled by a less than reputable company.

I look forward to your input.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:09   #2

Re: Bareboat Charter Recommendations

I've used Virgin Island Charter Brokers (visailing.com) twice. The cost to you is the same as going direct to the charter company. They'll use your requirements, budget and schedule to provide you with options from most (maybe all?) of the major charter companies in the BVI/USVI (and other locations around the world). They were very helpful for us.

I do not have any financial interest in this company or review.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:25   #3

Boat: wanting a cat

Check out LTD Sailing, I think they are a forum sponsor, and they are also an ASA sailing school...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 15:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

We are agents for Sunsail, The Moorings and Dream Yacht Charters. If you are interested we could put an instructor on board with you for a few days of informal teaching and then let you take the boat for the rest of your charter. We could also just help you book your Caribbean charter. Let me know if you have any questions - you can email me dirrectly at Chris@LTDsailing.com if you would like or message me on CF.

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:37   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

My response may be a little late given summer is almost here so you may have already found a charter company. Our boat is with CYOA Yacht Charters in St. Thomas, USVI. We have our boat with CYOA because they are meticulous in maintaining our boat. Part of any reputable charter company is to do a thorough vetting process for potential charterers. Without having a bareboat charter under your belt you may expect reputable companies to offer a captain for the first day or two as they evaluate your skills and orient you to the boat and sailing area. Depending on where you charter, some crewed or captained boats may depart for the night by dinghy after you are moored or anchored to allow you some privacy. Doing your first charter with a knowledgeable captain is really a good strategy, IMHO.
PapaLulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:43   #6

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54

I have used Horizon. They are in the BVI , Antigua and Granada. I have gotten great deals at all three locations
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:23   #7

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

TMM Charters in BVI has great reputation.

I have my Lagoon 42(Sea Tiger) is in their fleet. Or can charter direct at
SailSeaTiger at GMAIL com
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:19   #8

I have chartered with Sunsail in the BVI and found the service to be excellent. The shoreside facilities are very nice, the boats are in good shape, and if you have a problem they send someone out pronto to fix it. Not the very cheapest, but then -- generally speaking -- you get what you pay for. I can recommend them.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:38   #9

I guess that Hurricane Irma brings a lot of additional questions to you. Not sure how many charters will be available considering the extent of the damage. By the looks of it, recovery might take a long time.
You might consider another destination instead.
Cheers
Old 08-09-2017, 13:00   #10

Boat: O'Day 40

Hurricane season in the Caribbean starts June 1st. Go somewhere else. Salish Sea?

Tags
bareboat, boat, charter, men