Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 16:24   #31

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: ASA not longer recognizes other certifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
You really should keep your political opinions to yourself. Someone might start making remarks concerning Canadian hypocrisy in their foreign policies, as well as how they rely upon the USA for their existence. (politically,militarily, economically, etc.)
re:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
Looks like more of the USA is becoming isolationistic! Very sad if it is true.

How is that Political? You're very touchy and should have spent time in the services to cure you of that.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 16:25   #32

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Interesting. So for an international sailor, coming into one of those countries (actually only interested in the Atlantic and Mediterranean coast countries such as Greece, Portugal and Spain), what qualification do they look for if they are checking competence to allow you to stay in a marina etc?
All have their own legislations about that, I only know the Portuguese and the Spanish ones that are very similar and demand equivalent licences to the licences their nationals are obliged to have, depending the distance they are sailing from ports of rom the coast.

On practical ways the will of the authorities (in the form of agents) is not to create difficulties and accept whatever they show to them, including ICC.

What I said is that if someone has any accident and will go to court that would not be the understanding of a judge that will apply the law in what regards the needed licenses (or equivalents) to sail on those waters. That can have repercussions in what regards insurance.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 16:49   #33

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
For only $150 you can get your Zombie dive card, its for real there really is such a PADI card

PADI Zombie Apocalypse Diver Distinctive Specialty - Central Coast Dive Center
Ah, PADI, endless ways to generate revenue...

ASA tried a similar path a few years ago by creating a number of specialty/endorsement classes, but were not remotely as successful at it as PADI.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 16:51   #34

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sounds like an attempt to increase income, not much to do with legitimacy of the other certifications.

Jim
+1

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 17:42   #35

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I always thought the RYA certifications were more serious, more credible and had a bigger acceptance worldwide in what regards qualifications, but I must have been wrong.
RYA certification makes ASA look like the joke it is. All ASA is, is a scam to make people take classes from very marginally qualified instructors, who most likely could never pass an RYA test.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 18:13   #36

Seriously, has any of you posting negative comments about ASA courses actually done one?

I took the 101 and 103 courses, which took 8 days. Can you learn everything you need to learn about sailing in 8 days? Of course not. Did the courses make the best use of the time available? I believe so. I thought the syllabi were excellent, and I also took RYA Day Skipper many years ago for comparison. I thought there were some strange holes in the RYA material, and an understable (for the UK) fixation with tides and currents.

I made good use of the time on the water to learn as much as possible. Were there some people who passed who obviously were not natural sailors and had limited ability? Definitely. C'est la vie. But if you go on a good ASA course, with a good instructor, and apply yourself, you can learn a lot.

I find that the fiercest critics of the ASA courses are often self-taught, or racing types. Trouble is that they are great at some things (sail trim), but have great big holes in their knowledge you could drive a truck through - lights, sound signals, rules of the road, safety equipment, and so on.

The ASA courses are intended to give you a breadth of basic knowledge, rather than a depth in a particular area.

NB : My instructor is a 100 ton USCG captain who has many thousands of sailing miles under his belt. I think he could pass the RYA syllabus.
Old 17-12-2016, 08:02   #37

Boat: Beneteau/343

This may be an old thread, but I am seeing places drop their ASA affiliation. I don't know how pervasive this is.

for my experience, the ASA classes I have taken have sped up the learning process. I have taken 101, 103, 104, spinnaker, and docking. I learned from all of them. I also sail most weekends which reinforces a specific set of skills. I'll take 105/106 to build confidence.

that said, I have no real idea what I would get from the RYA curriculum.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 09:40   #38

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
This may be an old thread, but I am seeing places drop their ASA affiliation. I don't know how pervasive this is.

for my experience, the ASA classes I have taken have sped up the learning process. I have taken 101, 103, 104, spinnaker, and docking. I learned from all of them. I also sail most weekends which reinforces a specific set of skills. I'll take 105/106 to build confidence.

that said, I have no real idea what I would get from the RYA curriculum.
While a sailing course completed is desirable to no sailing course taken you will not appreciate a RYA Yachtmaster Certification until you attempt to apply for a job as a delivery skipper with one of the large charter fleets for seasonal re positioning from Caribbean to Mediterranean.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 09:51   #39

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
While a sailing course completed is desirable to no sailing course taken you will not appreciate a RYA Yachtmaster Certification until you attempt to apply for a job as a delivery skipper with one of the large charter fleets for seasonal re positioning from Caribbean to Mediterranean.

Valid point, I am sure. However that far exceeds my aspirations.

Right now my goal is to safely take my boat from Portland to the San Juan islands.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 10:09   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ASA not longer recognizes other certifications.

There used to be an International Helmsman Certificate many moons ago that demanded a pretty rigorous examination both in theory and practical skills on the water.. did mine back in the 80's and I spent 6hrs on the water with the examiner, I did it solo..
The ICC is a much devalued follow on mainly aimed (in my opinion) at raising revenue.. hell you get one for free if you become an RYA member..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 20:15   #41

Boat: Catalina 470

Ok just an opinion, I did my Rya day skipper tidal, coastal skipper tidal, rya/mca coastal skipper & yachtmaster offshore in 2008. I seriously believe these courses are overated.
I could sail prior to these courses but had done no serious cruising. Since then I've done approx 25,000 nm and in no way do I think those courses prepared me or taught me anything that has helped me on my journey.
I truly believe the 5k spent was a waste of money.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 02:32   #42

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 43

FWIW, I had to provide my ICC to the charter company I used in Greece last summer. A copy of it came back with the yachts documents prior to sailing with a stamp of approval from the local port police in Nidri. My take is although Greece may not have adopted Resolution 40, they are using the ICC (and possibly others?) as a de facto qualification in order to sail in their waters.
Bonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 04:31   #43

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

I have completed 6 ASA courses and 3 RYA courses. I found them to be very compatible and learned things from all of them. I didn't find either to be better then the other. Just different approaches to the same objective. If I noticed anything different I would say the course work of ASA was slightly better and the on board instruction of RYA a bit better. But that was probably a difference in instructors.

To suggest that one is "head and shoulders" better is just not accurate.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 16:49   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Seriously, has any of you posting negative comments about ASA courses actually done one?

I took the 101 and 103 courses, which took 8 days. Can you learn everything you need to learn about sailing in 8 days? Of course not. Did the courses make the best use of the time available? I believe so. I thought the syllabi were excellent, and I also took RYA Day Skipper many years ago for comparison. I thought there were some strange holes in the RYA material, and an understable (for the UK) fixation with tides and currents.

I made good use of the time on the water to learn as much as possible. Were there some people who passed who obviously were not natural sailors and had limited ability? Definitely. C'est la vie. But if you go on a good ASA course, with a good instructor, and apply yourself, you can learn a lot.

I find that the fiercest critics of the ASA courses are often self-taught, or racing types. Trouble is that they are great at some things (sail trim), but have great big holes in their knowledge you could drive a truck through - lights, sound signals, rules of the road, safety equipment, and so on.

The ASA courses are intended to give you a breadth of basic knowledge, rather than a depth in a particular area.

NB : My instructor is a 100 ton USCG captain who has many thousands of sailing miles under his belt. I think he could pass the RYA syllabus.

Couldn't agree more, however I must say the written exams carry more weight than the practical. I saw a young lady pass 103 who couldn't heave to, jibe correctly or tie a bowline. Dang, she scored 100% and "passed". Her and her husband with similar skills bought a 42' mono and planned to sail directly to BVI from Charleston. Yikes!
smattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 17:18   #45

Boat: Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
re:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
Looks like more of the USA is becoming isolationistic! Very sad if it is true.

How is that Political? You're very touchy and should have spent time in the services to cure you of that.
Thank you for defending me. I did not mean anything political in my comments. This is an example of the possibility of misinterpreting something that is stated on chat forums. I'm sure that if the poster knew me he/her would realize that I'm the least most political person around.

Kindest regards.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, certification