Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2020, 22:49   #1

Boat: Still a dream
ASA Certs South Florida and later Carib for 2.5 people good value?

Hi Guys,

Got a life gives lemons/make lemonade situation here. Mom recently passed Father is moving in with me here in south florida. I grew up sailing with him, but its been many years since I was on 30+ monohull (and he used to race as well).

I thought it would be nice to get him underway again and I could also start doing certifications with my wife.

My wife and I would be doing the certs and he would be along for the ride.

We are still kind of young so the Blue Water place in Ft Lauderdale is alittle out of the price range I think.

Ideally I wanted to split it up between ASA 101 and ASA 103/104 as the ultimate goal is more experience through bareboat rental.

I saw a couple of groupons for ASA 101 for about $275 each on the other side of the state which was a really good deal, but wanted to see if there was any advice one something that would be a good value overall more local to fort lauderdale. (I can go higher than the groupon price, but it seems in a good economy prices go to what the market will bear).

I could buy it as a package (if it doesn't look like the place will go out of business). Or maybe do ASA 101 in South Florida and the 103/104 in the islands?

We are open to online classroom for the non skills aspect. I have rented a few boats and small cats in the last few years, but I did feel overly confident in tighter situations like bridges when the motor conked out lol.

Anyway I was trying to have it combine in a nice thing for all of us, I really do not need white glove service as its a learning experience not a vacation.

Also any cruiser reddit links to check out?
noworkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 17:40   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: ASA Certs South Florida and later Carib for 2.5 people good value?

Glad you are taking a positive view of this life change.

Im not entirely clear on what you are asking...other than looking for less expensive options than water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School, but there are 39 ASA schools in Florida, I suspect at least a few of them can work something out that fits your objectives.

Link to Florida ASA schools:

https://asa.com/schools/florida/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:13   #3

Boat: Hunter 35.5
Re: ASA Certs South Florida and later Carib for 2.5 people good value?

I just returned from 103/104 combo class in Texas. Highly recommend South Coast Sailing. It was cheaper to fly down and take the classes than to do them near me.
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, florida, rib