Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 09:53   #1

Boat: American 14.6
ASA 119 Marine Weather...have you taken it?

Hi all,

Long time reader, but this is my first post.

I consider myself a fledgling coastal cruiser. Completed ASA 101 and 105 several years ago and just completed ASA 103, 104 (Coastal and Bareboat Cruising) last March.

I'm always interested in learning as much as I can about sailing and the sailing environment, so I'm interested in the ASA 119 course on marine weather, especially since you can take it online.

Has anyone taken this course, and if so, what did you think of it?

Can anyone suggest other resources (books, courses, etc) on marine weather that you thought were very good?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Sailing!
RileyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 22:08   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: ASA 119 Marine Weather...have you taken it?

Riley, Ive never taken 119, but I am certified to teach it. [emoji6]

It is based upon StarPath's excellent online marine weather course. It is basically a classroom version of this course. However, it is a bit higher level than the Starpath class in that is does not delve into as much detail in some subject areas.

https://www.starpath.com/catalog/courses/1804bc.htm
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:07   #3

Boat: American 14.6

Thanks, belizesailor...

Interestingly enough, one of the ASA 119 options was through StarPath, for a fully online version. I'm guessing it is the same course as going directly to StarPath as the description is similar.

If you go through ASA, you get the certification/logbook sticker too, but it costs about $90 more ($380) than if I go to directly to StarPath ($289).

While it is the knowledge I want, is it worth the extra bucks to have the cert? Would that make a difference to an insurance company or charter company (my intended sailing venue)?

Thanks again for your response...very helpful!
RileyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 14:19   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

ASA 119 is not a prerequisite for any other ASA classes, it wont help with insurance, nor will any entity ever want to see your 119 certification.

The StarPath online course is excellent and in depth. You have access to lots of online resources including the instructors. Highly recommended.

When I tool the StarPath class, I thought I had pretty good amatuer marine weather knowledge. I did most of my own weather routing and usually got it right. The StarPath class bumped that up another level or 2.

Do NOT just buy the book. It is loaded with information and is a great reference, but it could use some editorial work. Many buy it and never complete it...as did I years before I took the class. The online class, which includes the book, is well worth the price.

Whichever route you choose, the real benefit is the knowledge you will gain. Understanding marine weather is very important, especially if you plan any extended cruising.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, marine, weather