Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 12:24   #1

ASA 105 online - StarPath or others?

I've been sailing for a few years, and am planning to take the ASA 105/6 class series very soon. There are several ASA 105 classes that are now available online, including StarPath, and others more locally developed (Victoria Sailing School seems to be a good one).

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on these?
Global nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 18:55   #2

Re: ASA 105 online - StarPath or others?

For anyone who is interested:
Started the Starpath ASA 105 course a month or so ago (the one endorsed/marketed by ASA). It's terrific. Thick with information, written by very experienced individual (David Burch). There is a self study and quiz format, but it is engaging and everything so far has been useful and important to know. Very happy with it. Turnaround time for chapter quizzes and any questions is 1-2 days so far.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:16   #3

The only think about ASA is that is not recognized abroad.... I've done it and I'm Belgian. I live in USA but I'll be back soon in Europe and I realized ASA is totally useless out of USA........ Better to spend your time and money into RYA certifications ...
Lou4870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:27   #4

Good point, Lou. Although I seem to be stuck in/around US waters for the foreseeable future. To me, getting a solid education on navigation seemed like time well spent, and Starpath seems solid, so far.

Anyway, I’ve been confused by RYA - the real exam (Yachtmaster series?) seems to be independent of whatever means one accumulates the necessary knowledge, although certainly there are various smaller RYA courses along the way that one can take, and I don’t doubt those do a good job of focusing on passing the Yachtmaster exam.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global nomad View Post
Good point, Lou. Although I seem to be stuck in/around US waters for the foreseeable future. To me, getting a solid education on navigation seemed like time well spent, and Starpath seems solid, so far.

Anyway, I’ve been confused by RYA - the real exam (Yachtmaster series?) seems to be independent of whatever means one accumulates the necessary knowledge, although certainly there are various smaller RYA courses along the way that one can take, and I don’t doubt those do a good job of focusing on passing the Yachtmaster exam.
Thats right, I don't have a good English though but ASA is more a school than RYA is.

RYA, there is no "classes" to teach you sailing. They validate your skills and competence. You can do some training, mile building with RYA before taking the tests (which is given by a third party, RYA instructor)

On top of that, if a day you wish to charter a boat out of the US, you'll be stuck with ASA...
You'll need an ICC (International certificate of competence), and you got it with RYA.

If I have to redo everything, I'll go for RYA 100%.

I loved when I did my classes with ASA instructors, it was great but out of that, it has no value out if US unfortunately.
Lou4870 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa