Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2022, 07:51   #1

ASA 104 What is on the test?

Probably should have posted this here rather than in the Challenges section.

I am trying to find exactly what is tested, both written and practical. I found several practice tests, all the same, so I am assuming that's what I will find on the written exam (or does it change)? Pretty simple stuff. I also have a copy of the Bareboat Cruising Made Easy, which is the 104 text, and most of that is review for me, so I am pretty confident I can pass the test.

I cannot find anywhere that discusses what is tested on the water. I can make some general assumptions - man overboard, rigging and trimming the sails, leaving a dock, starting and operating the motor, basic navigation, etc. but nothing that spells out what is required on the practical test. I also wonder how the practical test would work on a boat that is not easily single-handed? Will the test instructor serve as your crew taking your instructions?

Thanks.
remydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 08:28   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: ASA 104 What is on the test?

You best reference for all the above is the ASA standard for 104. It lists all the required knowledge and skill items. Both the knowledge and hands on skills on which you will be evaluated in the course are listed in detail in this standard.

My suggestion to students for preparing for any ASA course is to prepare well in advance of the class by reading the relevant text, then using the standard as a study guide to review the material.

You can find the complete standard on the ASA web site or in your ASA log book.

https://asa.com/certifications/asa-1...a%20conditions

ASA 104 is mostly about boat systems and the knowledge/skills required to live aboard a boat for multiple days. Basic sailing skills are mostly covered in prerequisite classes.

To answer some of you specific questions above:

MOB - yes, under power and sail.

Rigging and Trimming sails. Not so much, again basic sailing skills are part of prerequisite courses.

Docking under power - yes.

Operating a diesel engine - yes. Basic operational theory is covered and you will be expected to operate the engine during the class.

Basic Navigation - most of the 104 level navigation curriculum is focus on planning. The details are listed under the "Navigation & Weather" section of the standard.

Single Handing - no ASA student level course requires single handing skill demonstration (this only becomes a requirement at the instructor level). In a group class the other students will serve as crew.

If your instructor/school does not train and evaluate you on the required knowledge and skills as specified in the standard then I suggest you request a refund and report them to ASA.

(ASA Instructor Evaluator and former ASA school owner)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 08:31   #3

Thank you. To be clear, my plan was to take the challenge test and avoid the class as I have been sailing for years. Your summary is great. Thanks.
remydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 08:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by remydog View Post
Thank you. To be clear, my plan was to take the challenge test and avoid the class as I have been sailing for years. Your summary is great. Thanks.
Same knowledge and skills evaluation applies to the challenge, except no training. You will need to complete the written exam successfully plus an on the water evaluation.

In that case, it will likely just be you and the instructor and he should serve as your crew.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:38   #5

Boat: Cal 35-2

If you have one, assuming you do, look in the ASA "Official Certification Logbook" for the ASA 104 Knowledge section. It's pretty clear what can be expected to be on the written test and practical. Part of the written is some navigation; DR, plotting ect. . . on a small chart.

Good Luck
EvntHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 17:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvntHorizon View Post
If you have one, assuming you do, look in the ASA "Official Certification Logbook" for the ASA 104 Knowledge section. It's pretty clear what can be expected to be on the written test and practical. Part of the written is some navigation; DR, plotting ect. . . on a small chart.

Good Luck
That reminds me of delivering 104 many years ago when the quality of that chartlet was very poor. This caused much constrenation for the students. Fortunately in more recent years they made a substantial upgrade in the quality of the chart image and even made a high resolution version available to the schools...a major improvement.

Tags
asa