Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2022, 06:03   #1

ASA 104 Challenge; Required?

I am planning a bareboat charter trip to the USVI. I have received conflicting information from different charter companies. One says that the 104/114 certs are required. Others say a strong sailing resume will be sufficient. I would hate to get down there and find out I need the cert and don't have it.

As far as getting it, I am comfortable that I can test out with a challenge. However, I don't have the 101 or 103. Do I need to both of those first in order to take the 104 challenge?

Thanks.
remydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 06:06   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: ASA 104 Challenge; Required?

There is no legal requirement, it is totally up to the charter company. Which is likely why you are getting different answers.

Many in the BVI just require that the payment clears.

Re prerequisites to complete 104, 114. Yes, all prerequisite classes must be completed by taking the class or by challenging it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 06:09   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

It is up to the charter agency rules. Even those that say they require 104 may consider allowing you to charter without it if you have a strong sailing history. Note if you are chartering a cat a significant portion of your strong sailing history should involve cats.

It can't hurt to ask though the worst they can say is no.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 06:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by remydog View Post
I am planning a bareboat charter trip to the USVI. I have received conflicting information from different charter companies. One says that the 104/114 certs are required. Others say a strong sailing resume will be sufficient. I would hate to get down there and find out I need the cert and don't have it.

As far as getting it, I am comfortable that I can test out with a challenge. However, I don't have the 101 or 103. Do I need to both of those first in order to take the 104 challenge?

Thanks.
The requirement of the charter company comes from the charter company. If Charter company A says they need ASA 104/114 and Charter company B says they need a CVE/Resume, then one is not 'contradicting' the other. Each simply has a different set of requirement.

Pick a company and satisfy their requirements. If you feel like you might have a shaky CVE, then choose a company who's pre-requisites are more clearly defined. An assessment of a CVE is very subjective. Certifications are not.

As for the pre-requisites for the ASA course, that is up to the organization overseeing the certification. Some might let you take them out of order, or in parallel. Some might want each to be sequential. You'd have to talk to the ASA partner holding the courses.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 07:12   #5

Thanks everyone.
Old 23-02-2022, 09:08   #6

Boat: Precision 23

Having recently just booked my first bareboat as the skipper, I filled out the sailing resume and got confirmation that I would qualify before I made the deposit. They should be able to tell you fairly quickly if you qualify.
jspoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 10:20   #7

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Before I chartered in the Virgin Islands the first time I completed my ASA 101 - 105 as I though it was required. Total waste of time… apart from the knowledge I gained. The only credentials the charter companies want is the credit card… if your a confident sailor go without. If your not the training and experience doesn’t hurt at all.

Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 11:32   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The requirement of the charter company comes from the charter company. If Charter company A says they need ASA 104/114 and Charter company B says they need a CVE/Resume, then one is not 'contradicting' the other. Each simply has a different set of requirement.

Pick a company and satisfy their requirements. If you feel like you might have a shaky CVE, then choose a company who's pre-requisites are more clearly defined. An assessment of a CVE is very subjective. Certifications are not.

As for the pre-requisites for the ASA course, that is up to the organization overseeing the certification. Some might let you take them out of order, or in parallel. Some might want each to be sequential. You'd have to talk to the ASA partner holding the courses.
Re prerequisites. The ASA system will not accept a certification request without the prerequisites for that request already existing in the system for that student.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 16:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
Before I chartered in the Virgin Islands the first time I completed my ASA 101 - 105 as I though it was required. Total waste of time… apart from the knowledge I gained. The only credentials the charter companies want is the credit card… if your a confident sailor go without. If your not the training and experience doesn’t hurt at all.

Regards Steven
Isn’t the purpose of a course to gain more knowledge (whether by book or experience)? So, then, it wasn’t a total waste of time?
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 09:29   #10

Boat: Leopard 45

As said by others, it really depends on the charter company. Most want to be sure you have the chops to sail without wrecking the boat you check out. Sailing experience really trumps the 104. As for getting the ASA104 you can challenge the 101 and 103 and the ASA 104 instructor will check your skills while going through the 104 class and if he feels you have the skills he will give you a pass on the 101 and 103.
Most of the Caribean I have sailed and chartered in took no stock in my 104 certificate but in the Mediteranian they simply won't allow you out with it. One time in Greece I forgot to bring my ASA book with me and they were about to cancel my charter when I called my daughter who was staying at my home and she took a picture of the 104 certificate page and sent it to the base. This was accepted and on we went with our charter.
jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 14:59   #11

Boat: 1981 Pearson 365 ketch

It may be worth your effort to reach out to a few different ASA schools. The fees for challenging a number of courses vary widely.
And there's a relatively recent change to ASA certification requirements: you will not have to take each written test for each course you are challenging. As long as you can demonstrate each level's standards on the water, then you should only have to take the written test for the highest level you seek, 104.
--Cheryl
NavyDave_andMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 11:51   #12

You can challenge at 104 / 114 and if deemed competent will receive certifications for 101 and 103 as they are prerequisite. challenging ASA.pdf
Cheetah69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 12:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspoone View Post
Having recently just booked my first bareboat as the skipper, I filled out the sailing resume and got confirmation that I would qualify before I made the deposit. They should be able to tell you fairly quickly if you qualify.
I did the same thing for my charter in the BVIs a couple of years ago. They approved me up to a certain size. IIRC, they also wanted the resume for a second person who'd be onboard.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 13:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah69 View Post
You can challenge at 104 / 114 and if deemed competent will receive certifications for 101 and 103 as they are prerequisite. Attachment 255955
Thank you.
Old 14-04-2022, 13:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Isn’t the purpose of a course to gain more knowledge (whether by book or experience)? So, then, it wasn’t a total waste of time?
Speaking for myself. I am finding most of the information in the book to be a very basic review. Yes, some is new or good to know, so that part is valuable. I don't know that a course would have offered more than that. But other than the cost and time commitment, I agree that there is usually value in spending a few hours with other sailors of different experience levels in the same room. Especially if there are adult beverages involved.

Tags
asa