Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 13:27   #1

After some advice on yachtmaster training course

Hi all,

I'm currently after a career change and looking for some advice on yacht master courses in order to work onboard a superyacht as a deckhand which is something i really want to do.

I have previous experience ( 4 years) working out at sea whilst in the Royal Navy gaining experience in sea survival, firefighting, damage control and working as part of the ships deckhand team. ( I already have the STCW95 certificates and ENG1 medical certificate )

Having google searched yachtmaster courses there seems to be loads, can someone recommend a good company to do the course ? UKSA look like a good option but with little savings and the course cost being £7,250 this is a big gamble as i'd need to take out a loan to pay for the course which i am happy to take along as the course will give me a good chance of working as a deckhand

Many Thanks
lknights1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 03:23   #2

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Re: After some advice on yachtmaster training course

That sounds very expensive to me.

You can do a 10 day RYA intensive YM Offshore course (5 day Theory + 5 days Practical) here in Sydney Australia for under A$2500. So for the price you were looking at you could take a holiday down here, do your course and still come out in front. There are several companies that run these courses such as Eastsail, Pacific Sailing School & Flying Fish.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 03:50   #3

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Re: After some advice on yachtmaster training course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
You can do a 10 day RYA intensive YM Offshore course (5 day Theory + 5 days Practical) here in Sydney Australia for under A$2500.
I'm not sure that apples are being compared with apples here (obviously difficult due to Australia's restrictions on fruit import).

The UKSA course is 13 weeks and takes you from nothing up through all the RYA qualifications to yachtmaster, as well as all the courses required for a commercial endorsement. 5 days theory + 5 days practical would seem to be appropriate for sailors with pre-existing experience and skill necessary for yachtmaster (including qualifying miles and passages) but without the actual qualification.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, yacht