Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2022, 11:20   #31

Boat: Beneteau 461
Re: Adaptive Sailing lessons.

Hi Dave,
Just wanted to jump in to recommend BAADS: Bay Area Association of Disabled Sailors, in San Francisco. If you visit the area I'm sure they will take you out on their regular Saturday sail. A great group of people and a good resource. Their website says they provide lessons too although 10 years ago when I took my disabled son out with them they seemed more to be a club of folks who like to sail together.
SeaReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:53   #32

Hello sailors,

For those of you who have followed my progress, I have a question and hopefully a recommendation from the forum (should I post in a different thread?).

My wife and I will be visiting Myrtle Beach in mid-March and I would like to go sailing while there. Can anyone recommend a contact so that we can do this? Keeping in mind that they must be willing to accept a disabled sailor.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions or leads.

Dave
David993s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:37   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David993s View Post
My wife and I will be visiting Myrtle Beach in mid-March and I would like to go sailing while there. Can anyone recommend a contact so that we can do this? Keeping in mind that they must be willing to accept a disabled sailor.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions or leads.

Dave
Contact Jason, who owns the Myrtle Beach Sailing School, https://myrtlebeachsailingschool.com/about-mbss/, I don't know if he has worked with disabled sailors before, but if not, I think he would give it a try, if there is an opening in the schedule. Early this year he was in The Keys with the family and doing charters. Not sure of his schedule in 2023.

Cricket Cove Marina
4495 Baker St.
Little River, SC 29566
Dock B5-8
843-241-6874

Little River is a town north of Myrtle Beach. Actually, Little River is north of Cherry Grove, which is north of North Myrtle Beach which is north of Myrtle Beach. They all run together.

From Cricket Cove Marina to the Little River inlet is about 30-60 minutes depending on the tide.

Snooky's is a restaurant in the marina, they also have an place on the beach in Cherry Grove, that has really good seafood. The bathrooms and showers at the marina are nice and clean so you could take a shower, if needed, and the go upstairs to eat at Snooky's.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:56   #34

^^
Thanks Dan. That is a great lead. I appreciate it. I will contact them.
We're staying at a hotel at Cherry Grove (Prince Resort). We've eaten at Snooky's before too.
Dave
Old 12-11-2022, 09:12   #35

Quote:
^^
Thanks Dan. That is a great lead. I appreciate it. I will contact them.
Dave
You are welcome.

If you need a place to stay, we have been staying at https://www.tilghmanresort.com/, for vacations, which is in North Myrtle Beach and about 10-15 minutes from the marina. It is a condotel, never heard of those before, but some owners live there full time while other owners rent out the condos. Nice place across from the beach and walking distance of a nice grocery store and restaurants.

If we only need a night to stay prior to going out sailing, we stay at https://www.choicehotels.com/south-c...n-hotels/sc037, which is just across from the road to the marina. Maybe a 5 minute drive.

Later,
Dan
Old 29-01-2023, 11:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
You are welcome.

Later,
Dan
Dan,

I have talked twice to Jason and will be sailing with him mid-March. He's been very helpful and accommodating, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Thanks again for the referral. I appreciate it.

Dave
Old 29-01-2023, 12:37   #37

Quote:
Dan,

I have talked twice to Jason and will be sailing with him mid-March. He's been very helpful and accommodating, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Thanks again for the referral. I appreciate it.

Dave
You are very welcome.

Jason is a great teacher and has a variety of boats that might be helpful. You will learn quite a bit and it will be fun, though challenging.

Part of the ASA 104 class is to go to Bald Head Island which I strongly recommend visiting. We got up there after dark but the little we saw made us go back and rent a place on the Island out of season. Wonderful place to visit. Cape Fear is on Bald Head Island.

Later,
Dan
Old 29-01-2023, 14:20   #38

Based on his suggestion, we're taking his Morgan 32 out.
Thanks for the other recommendations too.
Dave
Old 29-01-2023, 14:33   #39

Don't see it mentioned:

https://thesinglehandedsailor.com/

https://www.instagram.com/thesinglehandedsailor/
off-piste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, sailing lessons