Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2021, 23:34   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Adaptive Sailing lessons.

I just want to salute your courage. It is sometimes hard to keep heartful all the time, and you seem to be doing a super job.

Ann
Old 30-12-2021, 04:48   #17

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

In the UK we have the RYA Sailability for many years

https://www.rya.org.uk/e-news/inbrie...oats-explained
I hope this is of interest, and value, and relevance
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 06:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
PM sent.

Would it be primarily you solo, or with crew to assist? Going solo may simply take a bit more planning, and some rearrangement of controls and grab rails. And, given how boats move, I rely on legs more for bracing and less for balance, so perhaps a set of "dumb" prosthetics might be of some use.

I suppose most sailing I would do would be considered solo, but my wife might help a little, if necessary. You're correct about tasks requiring a little more planning. I find that's the case with many things I now do. It's no big deal, just a matrer of thinking of how to accomplish a particular activity. And it's a good idea about a set of standard mechanical (non- computer controlled) legs. There are prosthetic legs commonly referred to as "stubbies".....short extensions that have no knee and are just straight. They're often used when a new bi-lateral amputee is learning to walk. (I didn't usek them.....just went right to regular prosthetics). Might be good for some limited movement and bracing in the cockpit.
Thanks. I appreciate your comments.
David993s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 06:22   #19

Again I want to thank each of you for the valuable input. You have given me much more assurance that this is achievable.
Old 30-12-2021, 06:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Adaptive Sailing lessons.

Ask for the prosthetic soles to be non-slip.. saves on deck shoes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 16:48   #21

I hope everyone had a safe and happy new year.

UPDATE: First, thanks to all that provided information and encouragement. I appreciate it, and with the firsthand accounts and knowledge of disabled sailors with varying levels of challenges I am confident I can accomplish my goal.

Here's what I've found, and I think I have a tentative plan now. I had pretty much decided on attending an adaptive sailing school operating out of Chicago......until I found one operating on a lake on the NW side of Columbus, OH, about 90 minutes from my home in Indiana. I think it will get me started and provide a good basis for developing my skills. After that I may get more out of a school operating on one of the Great Lakes.

That's the plan as it stands now.

Any additional comments and input are welcome.

Dave
Old 04-01-2022, 00:06   #22

I happened to be at The Lunenburg YC last summer the weekend they held the Atlantic Martin Sailing Championship.
I really wanted to take one of these for a rip! A couple were set up with the "sip & puff" system.
Some great racing/sailing!
Smaller than what you are looking for but you could possibly use some rigging ideas for a bigger boat.

https://www.martin16.com/about/the-martin16
https://www.lyc.ca/able-sail.html
Barkingmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 11:43   #23

UPDATE (and a request):

As I previously mentioned, I've enrolled in an adaptive sailing school operating from a moderate size lake about 90 miles from my home. Sailing lessons will be each weekend during the month of June.

After getting some basic training under my belt, I had lined up some more advanced sailing experience / training with an individual in Miami. He was familiar with adaptive sailing and his boat was suited for a disabled person to operate and had previously taught a disabled person to sail. Unfortunately, he sold the boat and now can't follow through with the offer. Very disappointing as I was looking forward to getting experience in either Biscayne Bay, over to the Bahamas or to the Keys.

With that said, I would like to try to line up some other sailing opportunity on a larger body of water such as the Great Lakes, or coastal cruising. Obviously, it would have to be a situation workable with my disability (bi-lateral above knee amputee - see original post). I can travel most anywhere on the east coast or Great Lakes and can devote a week or so to it.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, recommendations or opportunity, please let me know either in this thread or PM me.

Thanks, and I'm still looking forward to and excited about learning to sail.

Dave
Old 02-04-2022, 14:03   #24

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Have you spoken to these people?
https://www.shakealegmiami.org/
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 19:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn33 View Post
Have you spoken to these people?
https://www.shakealegmiami.org/
John
Thanks. I have previously looked at shakealeg and while I'm sure they're a good organization, they don't offer what I'm looking for. It seems as if they don't offer sailing lessons to adult disabled individuals. They have Youth programs, vocational programs and programs for Veterans. Otherwise it appears they simply offer sailboat rides for disabled individuals.
Old 19-06-2022, 07:30   #26

UPDATE:

I've now completed two sailing school lessons and am learning/understanding the basics. Lots to absorb. I've got my 3rd scheduled for this Friday with an adaptive school operating out of Chicago. 4th lesson on Lake Michigan already scheduled too.

So far, my lessons have been in a day-sailer with a main and jib. Aside from learning the basics of sailing, I'm finding I am able to physically handle most sailing tasks.

Having fun and realizing there is so much more to learn.

Cheers.
Dave
Old 31-08-2022, 08:52   #27

Boat: Nautitech 46' Fly

Hi Dave,
I just found your post. My family (me, my wife and my adult son who is disabled) wish you great success. We are in the process of finding and then adapting the right boat for our goal of cruising the world, exploring, etc. We hope to have a boat by this fall. Since we can't leave our son on his own and we don't have and can't seem to get a qualified care giver to be with him while we learn we are planning to hire an instructor to come on board and teach us while he is with us. He can learn at the same time and when we are eventually out there on our own he can keep us in line, LOL. Even though he won't be able to handle the lines he will be able to navigate and control most of the boat from a tablet. He'll like that.
Keep us all posted on how you're getting along!
All the best,
Mark
SailingAbility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 11:19   #28

Thanks Mark. Best wishes for you and your family too with the sailing plans. I think if you find the right boat and Captain/Instructor who is willing to accept the opportunity of teaching you, your wife and most importantly your son, it will be a rewarding adventure. I envy your long-term goal.

I hadn't posted an update in a while just because of being busy (raced the Porsche twice this summer, and another race planned in Oct.) I've taken 6 adaptive sailing lessons since I began this quest. Two in Columbus, OH (just northwest, actually) and the rest with Judd Goldman Adaptive Sailing out of Chicago on Lake Michigan. The two lessons in Cols, were very basic and geared towards beginners, which is what I am (was?). The Chicago school was progressively more advanced and really gave me a good solid foundation. But I've been learning the fundamentals of sailing, not all the other associated tasks, chores, maintenance, navigation, etc. etc. that is a part of sailing. Someone once told me they could teach me to sail in a weekend, but seamanship takes a lifetime.

Both schools had small sailboats that were set up for a disabled person to handle, with the Chicago school boats being larger and more adaptive, i.e. sheets/wenches running back to the cockpit, self-tacking Jib, seating that works for a disabled person, etc. I had a fantastic instructor, and at this point I feel fairly comfortable and confident I could handle (most) things by myself (not that I would want to do that at this still early stage in my learning) without making too many serious mistakes.......provided the boat was adapted. I also got quite a bit of experience with various wind speed/directional conditions and positioning the boat in proper relation to the wind direction to go where I wanted to go. While I think I would know what to do on a non-adaptive boat, I think with my disability it would certainly be "challanging", but I seem to always find a way to do something that others tell me I can't do.

I'm probably through for this season as Goldman is only running lessons for another week or so, and I can't get another one in this year. I will plan on resuming with more advanced lessons come next Spring/Summer. It would be nice to find a sailing opportunity somewhere out of FL over the winter.

Next year I may look into buying my own sailboat. There is a decent size lake about 20 miles from me with a fairly large marina, and I've seen sailboats in the 27-30ft length there. The problem is there's a 2+ year wait for a slip. The other challenge would be getting a boat adapted to my needs. But that's nothing money wouldn't fix.

Best of luck and keep me posted. I'd like to know what you find and how you and your family progress.

Cheers.
Dave
Old 31-08-2022, 12:34   #29

Boat: Nautitech 46' Fly

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the update. Glad you're getting there. We are going over all the ASA sailing books, learning knots and everything else before we get onto a boat in the hopes that it will at least come much easier.
I will definitely keep you posted on our progress.
Best regards,
Mark
SailingAbility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 14:38   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ya know, Dave, you're a fortunate guy: able to support sports car road racing and a boat!

Most sailboats are slow speed, but you feel the speed differently, mostly the air on your body. Few people can see the difference between say, 4 knots and 4.2, except by looking at the knot meter.

Should you ever go out in the ocean, it will be very different from lake and river sailing.

Good luck with it for next year; I hope it comes together well for you.

Ann

Tags
sail, sailing, sailing lessons