Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2016, 18:18   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: 6-Pack vs Masters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourisailor View Post
Just my two cents.
I also got my OUPV, 30 some odd years ago.
Has since long expired. Several years ago I was pondering retaking that test again or possibly getting a masters. But was talked out of it by several capt's and CG personal.

Reason.... I have no plans to charter, go outside of coastal / Caribbean cruising. Have zero plans to captain other boats. And the only passengers on my boat are/will be nonpaying guest.
A licenses will cause me to be held to a higher standard. Where as without one, I'm just another land luber, with a boat whom might be able to talk my way out of what ever trouble I find myself in.

The first person that told me this I just thought that he was BSing me.
But I have heard the exact same thing from many.
So I'm assuming that there must be some truth in it.

Any how, just food for thought.
+1' Missourisailor... I had a judge tell me that he held me to a higher standard of seamanship be cause I held a Masters ticket! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 18:39   #17

Boat: J80 & I-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by poesch6 View Post
My question to you is which learning system or school are you going to use to prepaid you for the test? I work on a boat and have time to study a little while underway. I am in a remote location so attending a class doesn't seem practical right now so for me I think it's got to be computer based learning. Anyway, just wanted to hear your thoughts on what your going to do. Thanks, Kurt
I'm based in San Diego and there's a school called Maritime Institute that I've heard is the way to go out here. I haven't made contact with them yet to go through the process, etc. but I'll probably reach out soon. On their website it looks like they have an option for a computer based program -- I'm not sure I can be as diligent getting that done as compared to being in class, haha!
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 18:45   #18

Boat: J80 & I-14

Thanks for the replies everyone, this has been really helpful. Having my license would mean I can coach different/more courses at the sailing school I teach at part time and I'd also like to skipper charters in the future. I'm not opposed to the longer test so I think it might be worthwhile for me to go for the Masters level and not have to pay again/take more tests when I want to upgrade.

THe Maritime Institute is close by to me in San Diego so I'll probably reach out to them to see how the process gets going. I've only heard second hand that MI is a good place to go...anybody have any experience with them?
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 06:41   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
A 6-pack, more correctly known as an OUPV (operator of ininspected power vessels) does not allow you to operate inspected vessels with their higher allowable number of passengers.
You will be restricted to carrying only six passengers.
A masters ticket will open up many more career opportunities for you.

Unless things have changed, a masters ticket requires more sea time, and a more complicated test. At least that was the case when I got my license (back in the stone age lol).

Mike it has not changed. Still about double the sea time for the Masters license. And the test still requires hand calculating set/drift, courses and fixes.

IMHO, the licenses reflect your competence, sea time and experience. If you have the time for the Masters, get it.

Like others stated, if you have the license -expect to be held to a higher standard. Likewise if you plan on using the license for employment, you will need to be part of a drug testing consortium. This means you are subject to random drug tests. I don't have an issue with that, but some may.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 07:09   #20

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
An option to be aware of is that you can place your active (unexpired) license in "continuity" indefinately. You cannot work using those credentials while in continuity, but you can have them reinstated at a later date...thus avoiding letting them lapse and have to start all over again. And the process is easy.

Too late in your case, but may be useful to others.
Yes, amazing, what can be accomplished, "For a SMALL Fee."
I believe that time will catch us all.
The recertification fees are the same, wealth transfer, at the higher rate.
Punishment for not knowing how to put your certification on ice, until you need it again. Or did the first person, to put their certification on ice, just have the documents back dated to look legitimate.😕
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 07:45   #21

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Seems like lots of similarities re tickets Canada/States. One thing not mentioned much is the required medical. Starters can be bumped because of colour blind (usually red/green) .Sea time is the hardest for the newbi. Factors such as tonnage ,location, job responsibilities. Here in BC many moved up to the bridge with years of parking cars on the lower deck of a ferry. (not a disparaging comment)
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 08:31   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Yes, amazing, what can be accomplished, "For a SMALL Fee."
I believe that time will catch us all.
The recertification fees are the same, wealth transfer, at the higher rate.
Punishment for not knowing how to put your certification on ice, until you need it again. Or did the first person, to put their certification on ice, just have the documents back dated to look legitimate.😕
:what:
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 08:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
A 6-pack, more correctly known as an OUPV (operator of ininspected power vessels)

I think that you might mean that OUPV stands for “Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels”
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 15:00   #24

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Get the largest license that the Coasties will let you sit for. That way you'll have enough license for whatever you're doing and if you continue with it you'll have an easier time upgrading in the future.

Tags
mast