Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2022, 18:09   #16

Re: 6 pack license - paying passengers and their guests

As always, helpful to distinguish what country we are talking about. Canada is going to be different from US with the legal requirements for having paying guests on a vessel. In the US a water taxi requires a CG license. If 6 or less passengers the OUPV (6-pack) will suffice; if more than 6 then a masters license. The US also has a limited license called the "Launch Operator's License" or the Limited Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels. Less than the OUPV but much more limited in scope and what you can do. Basically a ferry service at a marina, yacht club, camps.

Canada (and other countries) will each have their own requirements. They won't be interchangeable in the US.

The USCG is serious about cracking down on illegal charters!
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 19:13   #17

Here's a pretty good FAQ on charters and requirements: https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Cont...0Trifold_8.pdf
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackman View Post
OUPV license is almost useless...should just go for the masters, it's not much different.

This is a very true statement.

Also, Add on the sailing and towing endorsements as well. It’s very few additional questions. 10 per endorsement I think.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:02   #19

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Funny thread. What do the water taxi guys have. There are several in Toronto to run you out to the islands. Some of them have 24 people on board. A few of them are real nice guys and mostly hire students.
In the US that would be an Inspected Vessel operated by a licensed Master. And for limited route like a water taxi they can get a Limited Master license, only authorized to run that route. I don't know how Canada does it but probably similar.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:38   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
In the US that would be an Inspected Vessel operated by a licensed Master. And for limited route like a water taxi they can get a Limited Master license, only authorized to run that route. I don't know how Canada does it but probably similar.
Canada is a little different, Water taxi captains are required to have an SVOP (Small Vessel Operators Proficiency) certificate which are limited to twelve passengers.

Limited Master Certificates are a much higher grade in Canada.

We don't call them licenses, "Certificates" is our official term. Scroll down in this link to see the dozens of "Certificates" in Canada. It's pretty complex here. I hold five Certificates from this list.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...pleasure-craft
Old 06-11-2022, 06:26   #21

Well they're not "licenses" in the US anymore either. It's a Merchant Mariner Credential, and what you're "licensed" to do is listed in the credential. I don't believe the word "license" actually appears in it. They used to be a nice frameable certificate, now it's a little red book that looks like a passport.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:51   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Well they're not "licenses" in the US anymore either. It's a Merchant Mariner Credential, and what you're "licensed" to do is listed in the credential. I don't believe the word "license" actually appears in it. They used to be a nice frameable certificate, now it's a little red book that looks like a passport.
This is one of mine ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ticket a.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	266872   Click image for larger version

Name:	ticket.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	266873  

Old 06-11-2022, 10:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
What do the water taxi guys have.
Actually, I am just curious on this: what is the necessary license required for chartering with more than 6 passengers? Here in Seattle, there is a very well known operation that does hourly sailing charters on the waterfront, and they sometimes have more than 30 passengers onboard. What license are they required to have?
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:28   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
Actually, I am just curious on this: what is the necessary license required for chartering with more than 6 passengers? Here in Seattle, there is a very well known operation that does hourly sailing charters on the waterfront, and they sometimes have more than 30 passengers onboard. What license are they required to have?
I answered his question in Post #12. This is the response I got in Post #13 ...

Rumrace - "I don’t see the point. I rather see their mental health fitness card than another lame quiz exam license."

PS. He's in Canada so its an SVOP from Transport Canada
Old 06-11-2022, 11:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
You would need a Master credential, tonnage dependant on the tonnage of the boat. Typically 25, 50, or 100 gross tons. And if it's a sailboat, the Auxiliary Sail endorsement. The boat must be inspected by the Coast Guard. This is a huge deal, much harder than getting the credentials. CG prefers to start the inspection process with the boat design still on the drawing board, it can be very difficult to get an existing vessel approved for passenger use. And once a boat becomes an Inspected Vessel, it is no longer a private yacht. All requirements and restrictions imposed by CG must be complied with whether there are passengers aboard or not. I don't recommend trying that. I've run Small Passenger Vessels (under 100 Gross Tons and 150 pass) for over 30 years. No way would I ever consider owning one.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:37   #26

Boat: Boston Whale Outrage 19'

You can also have one addition person on boat as a mate.
BamBaLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:20   #27

Boat: Pearson 386

You are not thinking correctly. As someone considering qualifying as small vessel charter captain you should not be seeking to circumvent the USCG policies meant to protect both you and safety of your customers. Yes there are insurance and vessel inspection requirements that you may not be aware of and then there is a common sense factor that seems to be missing. You don't want to start something completely new to you and end up becoming front page news or a boating safety statistic. You can always get a paper route, mow lawns or grind stumps but pick something that doesn't require quite as much liability insurance.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:47   #28

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

In the pre-pandemic days when doing dinner cruises, the person booking the cruise was provided with an instruction sheet with hints as to what to bring and items to leave ashore. Included was a paragraph about the limitation of six passengers. It added that infants are people too and an aide for a disabled person counts as a passenger. It stated that if more than six passengers show up at the dock, the person booking the cruise can decide who stays ashore or they can all come aboard but we will stay at the dock for the time of the cruise, same price. Notifying them well ahead of the cruise date prevents problems. I had one crew member; no, we don't use volunteer crew members. We don't leave the dock with more than six passengers, no exceptions.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:55   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

We have a 6 pack deal in Canada it’s called “Beer Hunter”
It’s played like Russian Roulette but Canadian style with one shook up can of beer in the six pack. Only $17.00.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:52   #30

I thought that with a full masters license you could take up to 12 on an uninspected vessel?
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license