Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 23:31   #46

Re: Zincs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburks View Post
Ok. I'm new. What are zincs for???
To cut a long story short, they corrode first so that other metal components don't.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00   #47

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfishgyd View Post
Dispite "common misconception".. us powerboaters do not like to throw money away any more than sailors.....
A diver will spend an ave of 30 mins cleaning my hull and walk away with $72-100 cash (depending on what marina I'm at) You figure he does 5-6 boats a day (his numbers, not mine) and now he's making $400-600 a day, tax free.
I will gladly buy the zincs and have them onboard...... he makes more than enough already
I think you should have a go cleaning your vessel yourself if you don't value the divers work . Better in your pocket than his you suggest.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:50   #48
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
From this post we should learn that : Unlike other small businesses, hull divers : have no overheads (insurance, healthcare costs, social security taxes, equipment purchase and maintenance, fuel, etc etc) and don't pay any taxes. Or are you wrong?
Mark, it sounds to me like jaxfishgyd probably got burned by an unscrupulous diver in the past and and has had a hard-on for hull cleaners ever since. It's not an uncommon story and one I've heard many times. We all know that there are a lot of flakes in the marine maintenance business and because, for the most part, a hull cleaner's work cannot be seen or inspected, there are more than a few of those in this line of work. Unfortunately, some boat owners tend to paint all hull cleaners with the same brush.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 22:14   #49

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35'

Can anybody help with some advice:
My marina has a group that arranges for a diver to come in the spring to change zincs and do some hull cleaning. But i want something to get me through the winter.

I've heard its possible to attach a sacrificial zinc anode by hanging it over the side with a wire and attaching it inside the boat to the prop shaft.

Any suggestions re: How To...
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 00:17   #50

As a (former) shill for 'the man' I will also point out that West Marine will price match online, so you can go get it right now today and pay no shipping.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:31   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, timb.

Sacrificial zincs must be electrically connected to the items they are intended to protect; so your proposed solution would protect the shaft.
See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ish-29507.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:52   #52
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Mark, it sounds to me like jaxfishgyd probably got burned by an unscrupulous diver in the past and and has had a hard-on for hull cleaners ever since. It's not an uncommon story and one I've heard many times. We all know that there are a lot of flakes in the marine maintenance business and because, for the most part, a hull cleaner's work cannot be seen or inspected, there are more than a few of those in this line of work. Unfortunately, some boat owners tend to paint all hull cleaners with the same brush.

I know of someone who carefully nurtured his image as "the one who would watch out for her boat" to a single woman, and faithfully cleaned her bottom for her every month -- to 18" below the water, after which point one could not see the junk he left in the murky water.

Someone else bought the boat, and within the year had to replace the original salt-water cooled Yanmar engine. And I think I know what happened, because I had the same experience with a very similar boat (both Hunters). My boat's original engine was killed by lack of zincs. I had the engine replaced and SHOULD have had the sea strainer replaced, but it hadn't dawned on me that the original was bronze and very vulnerable to lack of zincs -- until I went to open it one morning and pieces broke off in my hand. It was not only pink all the way through but POROUS.

I consider the best money I spend on this boat having someone very reliable clean the bottom every month. He checks everything down there -- through holes, salt water intake, propeller -- zincs. That's hard work, to clean a bottom well. It's easy for someone with less than admirable ethics to rationalize a shoddy job.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Sacrificial zincs must be electrically connected to the items they are intended to protect; so your proposed solution would protect the shaft.
And the prop, as the prop is in direct electrical contact with the shaft.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote