Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2007, 12:59   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
… It is really sad that every new member in my cruising club is greeted by cheers from only half the group depending on the type of boat he owns …
It is sad, when boaters are cast against boaters …

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt lar
True - and it applies to the guy that goes out and buys a 40' bene as his first sailboat and powers thru the mooring field at 6 knots. There are more motor boats and motor boats are viewed as easier than sailboats, so there are clearly more nuts per power than nuts per sail, but plenty of nuts all around …
What you seem to be saying is that boats aren’t the problem, some boaters are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
... The problem with power boats around South Florida is that most of them seems to be run by amateurs ... So, uh not all of them are inconsiderate idiots, but the ones that qualify, really stick out and those are the ones ya remember..
What you seem to be saying, is that powerboats aren’t the problem – some powerboaters are.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 14:08   #62
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
What you seem to be saying, is that powerboats aren’t the problem – some powerboaters are.
Well, they seem to go hand in hand....Like guns and nutcase gun owners...Bad combo..
Old 22-05-2007, 15:17   #63

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Ths thread seem to have morphed from a discussion of engine emissions and pollution to personal stereotyping to the actual boaters shortcomngs. That'as too bad. I have only a couple of observations regarding people and boats

!. There are A Holes out there doing everything from work to boating. Doesn't matter what they observe, are taught or learn some of them will always be an A Hole.

2. A Holes are not limited to one type of boat over another - I met the worst A Holes in my life at the yacht club I belonged to in Toronto - the racing crowd you know old boy - who were legends in their own minds and would scoff at my heavy displacement steel boat - until they got caught in a line squall during a race and I was the only one going out to help them. Some of them didn't even thank me - proves the always an A Hole theory. I quit the cliub shortly afdterwards when some of the same people I rescued complained that I was doing noisy work on my boat. Guess who stood up for me - the powerboaters.

3. There are alot of damn good people who own powerboats and I am fortunate to be freinds with some of them.

4. Yes generally powerboats will cause more overall pollution than sailboats - but hopefully the future will provide better propulsion answers. Until then, I think we can all make allowances for each others type of boat and together enjoy all that boating has to offer and especially the people who are part of it.
Old 22-05-2007, 16:41   #64

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Hey Benny - that kind of brings us back around to the original thread...and my comment on the original thread is that no one is going to rip out whatever they have for power until it dies or the cost of operating is higher than the cost of replacement so why beat on it ?
We can't ground all the planes, scrap all the trucks, mothball all the ships, close down the power plants. It's not gonna happen, but change is on the way. Honestly, I don't think people are going to like it because these will be known as the good old days.
Dirty, cleaner, sail, power, fast, slow, burn alot, burn a little....give it a rest. We are lucky for any opportunity to play with boats and contribute a little more to the problem. I, for one, hope and plan for more time off so I can do my part ! No guilt here.

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 17:29   #65

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Huh, we have a powerboat section on Cruisers Forum?

This guy was talking to sailboaters:

And the subtitle to this forum is:

My mistake, I thought this was directed towards us sailboaters...

CSY man, It say's it in the top of the screen, but as I said, everyone welcome until proven a wanker as far as i'm concerned.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats Your footprint

Dave
Old 22-05-2007, 17:32   #66

Quote:
Ths thread seem to have morphed from a discussion of engine emissions and pollution to personal stereotyping to the actual boaters shortcomngs.
Don't think so. You are reading too much into a few sentences then jumping to conclusions.

Have a cold drink and chill out.
Old 22-05-2007, 17:37   #67

Quote:
CSY man, It say's it in the top of the screen, but as I said, everyone welcome until proven a wanker as far as i'm concerned.
He-he, it says Powered boats, not Power boats.

Me think even sailboats are powered...So are rowing boats if anybody are manning the oars.

Old 22-05-2007, 17:44   #68

Not jumping CSY Man - just commenting - which were not directed at you but at those who may have unfounded prejudices against powerboaters - I would never think that you have any - but the thread did morph as it is now - since your probably already drinking, I'll join you for one.
Old 22-05-2007, 17:48   #69

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
[quote=Benny]Not jumping CSY Man - just commenting - which were not directed at you but at those who may have unfounded prejudices against powerboaters - I would never think that you have any - but the thread did morph as it is now - since your probably already drinking, I'll join you for one.[/quote]

Its 10-50 am in Brisbane Australia, pub's are open, so I may have 1 or 3 as well.
Old 22-05-2007, 17:50   #70

Good for you Dave - It's always cocktail hour somewhere in the world
Old 22-05-2007, 18:22   #71

Boat: NONE yet
I really think this tread was started just to pick a fight. Sure deisel's pollute, and gasoline engines pollute. All internal combustion engines will and do pollute.

If you are really concerned with your carbon "footprint" maybe you would switch to a steam engine, or a Hydrogene motor (exhaust is water). Maybe the best thing would be to make your own ethynal, made from corn and other grains. (Highly flammable and unstable) Maybe you should run your boat on propane.

There are tons of ways that you can reduce your own carbon footprint but to say that a 4 cylinder deisel motor will produce more emissions than your twin 350's is getting pretty deep. Yeah deisels produce more soot which is so heavy it doesnt really become part of the air.

Sails are also made from petrolium products, which is what a good portion of the stuff that we use today are made of.

Like someone here said already if you are driving a car, buying food at the market, filling up a boat tank, and paying for your heating gas and electric you are part of the problem not the solution. (I am also part of the problem) I actually have no plan to change that but I do what I can.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 18:33   #72

"There seems to be a plethera of Eco-mongers"

You say that like its a bad thing to care about the world in which we will leave to our children.
Old 22-05-2007, 20:14   #73

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Charley,

Haven't you seen that bumper sticker that says; "I'm spending my children's inheritance"?

The media teaches us to be selfish these days. "Have it your way", You deserve it", "Army of one" and so on.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 20:35   #74

Del
Yes I have seen this bumber sticker "I'm spending my children's inheritance"?
I just don't feel that it should mean all the natural resourses as well. <G>
Old 23-05-2007, 08:40   #75

Quote:
Capct:

If you want to save the world and point out the big polluters, ya are on the wrong forum:

Most of us on this board are into sailboats. That means you put a sail up and let the wind push or pull ya through the water and across oceans.

So, go to the powerboat forums and raise hell with them guys: Ya can put them all on a guilt trip and demand they ditch the stinkpots and take up rowing instead.

Starting with yourself of course.
First of all Im not trying to save the world ,Burn coal for all I care bubba....your burning the next best thing anyway....LOL...and btw this is the power boat section.
Im pointing out while both are dirty diesels are dirtier than gas.Im also pointing out changes in American law .You're ignoring that too.So be it
I don't live in Americanistan so the laws there don't affect me.
But they do affect you

Diesel Boats and Ships | US EPA

While you are reading all this just keep asking yourself if there is nothing wrong with diesel pollution that would warrent all these changes... why is the American Environmental Protection Agency radically changing the emission standard requirements for diesels?
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote