Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 18:34   #16

Re: Yanmar 4 JH2E Diesel

Hi Kilmaine, Casa Del Mar is still one of the very best boutique hotels here, good choice. It seems that the Lighthouse restaurant has been overwhelmed by a new high rise development, I walked near there last week and could see no sign of it. The development along Pantai Cenang is truly astonishing and when the dust settles after the Covid 19 pandemic the tourist industry will be very slow to rebound.
My boat is in “Port Napoleon” marina at Port St Louis du Rhône. It may be a long time before I get back to her again🤢.
Pete.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 21:26   #17

Gents, I know I'm late to this thread, but with everyone stuck away, I guess boat time is standing still.

I have a 4 JH-TE, which I think is one generation earlier, and turbo charged (hence the lack of the "2" and addition of the "T"). I just today was attempting to start after a long layup (well over a year in tropical climate). Initially, no start. So I flushed fresh fuel through both filters to the injector pump, then started to bleed injectors. Front three started weeping fuel pretty quick, so I tightened them down, and while cranking to bleed the back injector, she started up and ran away. Luckily I had been briefed by a cousin mechanic who warned me to standby with a board over the intake. The board didn't shut it down, but forced it to idle for several minutes, so I unscrewed the fuel filter to create a bubble to stop it. No effect was observed with the power (throttle) cable or the stop lever. The fact that I had both a dry injector and a runaway made me think how they could be related. And after research, I think a stuck plunger in the pump could cause the fuel rack to be stuck at wide open power setting.
If you think about it, the stop lever slides the fuel rail (and rotates the plungers) to the no-fuel position. HOWEVER, after stop, most all of us return the stop lever to the run position. With the governor set to idle, and no revolutions, the fuel rack should then be sitting in the wide open position for the entire layup. If a plunger gets a tiny bit of corrosion due to moisture, the precision fitting may seize up, and prevent the governor from sliding the fuel rack back when three of the four cylinders run wide open.

After considering this, I have found a simple test I will perform tomorrow.... disconnect all pressure fuel lines from the injector pump and turn her over. If all four ports spit out slugs of fuel, the plungers are pumping, and problem is likely the governor. if one or more are dry, the plunger(s) is(are) stuck and likely so is the fuel rack. Remember, the throttle cable is directly connected to the governor, not the fuel rack. the fuel rack is controlled by the spinning weights of the governor. if the rack is stuck, the spinning weights aren't enough to move it.

I think my board didn't cut off all airflow, thus the idle. Next time, I think cracking a few injectors will stop her quicker than an air bubble in the fuel line.
SobeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 09:14   #18

Scary images of runaway engines. Go to a truckstop and look at the additives they sell.
It's bad not running something at least once a month to operating temperatures. People find this out when they buy a home generator and don't start it until they really need it and it of course won't start then.
ron17571 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, yanmar