Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2022, 18:12   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Winterize 4 cycle outboards

I have had 2 cycle outboards. To winterize the 1st thing was to lower the outboard so water would drain out of it. Are 4 cycle outboards the same ? Are there any outboards with a close loop cooling system. I currently have a SeaDoo with a closed loop system and like it.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 20:16   #2

Boat: Carver 356
Re: Winterize 4 cycle outboards

I’m not aware of any FWC outboards.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 20:30   #3

No, I am not asking about my PWC. I will trade it in on an Outboard powered boat. I agree there are no factory outboard powered PWC's

Just want to know if all the water drains out of a 4 cycle outboard just like the 2 cycle outboards I have owned.

I am talking about the 150 HP to 300 HP 4 cycle outboards.

Old 12-02-2022, 21:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
No, I am not asking about my PWC. I will trade it in on an Outboard powered boat. I agree there are no factory outboard powered PWC's

Just want to know if all the water drains out of a 4 cycle outboard just like the 2 cycle outboards I have owned.

[/URL]
Yes, you asked if there were any outboards with closed loop cooling and I answered I was not aware of any. I didn’t comment on PWC’s.
And yes, 4 cycle outboards drain just like 2 cycle.
Old 13-02-2022, 06:39   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I'd like to hear from others that know FOR SURE about this, but I don't think you need to lower an outboard for it to drain...for the purpose of freeze damage prevention. I've had motors in the past that were left up in freezing weather with no damage.

Now, if you think you have significant water that leaked inside the lower unit, then it might be safer lowered INTO THE WATER. Of course, best to drain the water/oil out.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 07:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have a twin engined fishing boat...twin 150 yammie's. It gets pulled out of the water after use, I attach a water hose to the side of the engine, and let the engines run for a few minutes to flush the salt water out.
The boat then goes back into the drystack building. During the winter, it will reside there for months before getting used again.
Never a problem. About every 100 hours or so, I have the impellor(s) replaced and the oil changed. I add fuel stabilizer to the tank. If it has been sitting for a long time, I will add some fresh fuel before I go out.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 07:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I have a twin engined fishing boat...twin 150 yammie's. It gets pulled out of the water after use, I attach a water hose to the side of the engine, and let the engines run for a few minutes to flush the salt water out.
The boat then goes back into the drystack building. During the winter, it will reside there for months before getting used again.
Never a problem. About every 100 hours or so, I have the impellor(s) replaced and the oil changed. I add fuel stabilizer to the tank. If it has been sitting for a long time, I will add some fresh fuel before I go out.
Are you attaching the hose to the flush port or are you using earmuffs on the lower unit? If you are using the flush port, you DO NOT run the engine per Yamaha owners manual. You can only run the engine if using earmuffs.
Old 13-02-2022, 07:41   #8
Marine Service Provider

you are correct....I misstated that...I have the flush ports....I meant to say I run the water hose for a few minutes....not the engine..
Old 13-02-2022, 08:20   #9
rbk

Boat: T37

Yes 4s drain when down the same as 2s. Have had many various makes/models in storage temps to -50f/c (pretty much the same at that temp). Have never blown a plug ot caused any damage.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 08:52   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

As a rule, small outboards, up to about 20hp, need only be tipped out of the water. Some water remains in the lower unit, but not enough to cause harm. I have done this for 40 years.

However, as size goes up the risk increases. Cracks around the props of larger motors are not rare. Google "frozen outboard." A dockmate cracked a 75hp a few years ago.

Old 13-02-2022, 09:44   #11

Thanks guys - I am looking at boat on-line and keep seeing 75% I/O powered and 25% outboard powered. I prefer outboard powered but like I said there are more I/O's. I had one I/O boat and it was put away about a month sooner than the outboard boats. I am looking forward to owning a boat again as the PWC has too many limits with just a few advantages. Like cleaning it is easy.

Old 13-02-2022, 09:52   #12
Marine Service Provider

at the drystack, where my fishing boat is, are several PWC's...after use, they get a quick fresh water rinse and on the rack it goes...
most sailors have their dink outboard on a pad by the stern pulpit.....some hang there for months at a time...doesn't appear to cause any problems...
Old 13-02-2022, 10:15   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I'd like to hear from others that know FOR SURE about this, but I don't think you need to lower an outboard for it to drain...for the purpose of freeze damage prevention. I've had motors in the past that were left up in freezing weather with no damage.

Now, if you think you have significant water that leaked inside the lower unit, then it might be safer lowered INTO THE WATER. Of course, best to drain the water/oil out.
When all else fails, ask the maker. Apparently you don't have a specific engine yet so you may find a manual online for one you may consider.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 10:22   #14

Run your outboard with fresh water before storage. The salt clogs passageways.
Also:
If you are storing a small engine rather than often using it often, use old school alcohol free gas and your troubles will end.
Once I learned this, my lawn mower, outboards, gen set, weed whacker etc start right up in the spring after long winter storage.
Before, I used my brand new gen set once to test it. Winter came and it would not start when needed no matter what I did. Cleaned the carb bowl and it was all pitted from the alcohol gas. Have used real gas since and it starts right away, even 6-8 months after shut down!

Yeah, the gas is more expensive, but well worth it to not have trouble every time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 10:44   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Are there any outboards with a close loop cooling system.
No. Every major brand is raw water cooled. Maybe there's an exception somewhere. If so, I'd love to hear about it. Perhaps this model?

If you have any doubts, pull off the cover. You'd know if there was a heat exchanger, expansion tank, circulating water pump and associated hoses.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, winter