Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 18:45   #76

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Which Power Catamaran ?

[QUOTE=Thanna5;891398]Consider also what certifications a production power cat has.CE A is much more stringent than CE B, which is the certification on most cats discussed here. Consider also new offerings from CruiserCats in Capetown SA. Much more efficent, lighter ,higher bridge deck clearance and designed and built as a powercat, not a converted sailcat design[/QUOT

You need to be sure it is a displacement power cat hull design otherwise it will be a fuel guzzler.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 01:35   #77

Well i visited a couple of marinas this afternoon in and around Melbourne

Unfortunately I couldnt find any power cats although there were a few sail catamarans

I also spoke with a couple of boat brokers/agents who both informed me that I was unlikely to find any in these parts and that I should scour the internet and make a trip to The Gold Coadt or evn slightly further north as that is where I was most likely to find the kinds of power cats that interest me.

Unfortunately I am not free to travel to that part of Oz for a few weeks yet so I guess I will just have to be patient until tracking down some owners and gaining thir impressions of their boats.
Koum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 01:41   #78

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Spent the last 3 summers on the bay in our cat and have only seen 1 powercat which was a Fountaine Pajot, dont know where its kept though
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 21:56   #79

Just thought of something else I havent really given much thought to....

How much maintenance is involved on a day to day basis with regard to looking after a Cumberland 44 ?

BTW Apparently there is very little difference between the 44 and 46 and for a lot less money have decided I am going to be leaning towards this as my first choice as I have received two very favourable reports from owners via the internet.

The main differences between the 44 and 46 apparently is a slight cosmetic facelift and a wider aft swimming platform and slight increase in length to make it look slightly better aesthetically and distinguish it from the then newly launched Summerland 40 by having a greater difference between the two models lengthwise otherwise they re the same boat.

On the huge minus side I cannot believe rhe apathy being shown by a number of brokers I have contacted aout boats listed on the internet for sale. I understand there are a lot of time wasters looking at boats but I refuse to chase after anyone in order to make them money and for the amount they charge their clients they should be ashamed of themselves.

Talk about stereotyping a profession - they make second hand car dealers look positively angelic.

Fortunately I am in no rush and I will be looking at many makes and models before making a final decision sometime during this year.
Old 21-02-2012, 00:03   #80

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koum View Post
Just thought of something else I havent really given much thought to....

How much maintenance is involved on a day to day basis with regard to looking after a Cumberland 44 ?
Quite a bit.
Extra "stuff" creates extra work and costs extra dollars to keep running.
Old 21-02-2012, 00:08   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Quite a bit.
Extra "stuff" creates extra work and costs extra dollars to keep running.
I guess it figures....the more stuff any boat has the more things that can go wrong😢😢😢
Old 23-02-2012, 17:45   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Sail-ASSISTED Trawler/Power Cat, BAMBA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab
Just add sails
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
This vessel on page 1 ticks all the boxes
A truly stunning and capable vessel imho

You don't really have to go fully into the sailors world to benefit from sail-assist. And what you gain is an ultimate safety valve if should encounter engine problems on an offshore trip. Plus you add a potential unlimited range,..albeit slow, but surely.

(I had 4 small catamaran rental operations on the east coast and Caribbean for a number of years when I was younger. We took raw folks (thousands of them) who had never been on a sailing vessel, and taught them how to go out for several hours in a 16' Prindle catamaran and get back in to the rental....all in about 15-20 minutes. Basic sailing is not as difficult as many make it out to be. And then you continue to learn thru out your lifetime)

Another Aft Mast Rig, BAMBA 50

Granted it is only a sail-assisted trawler/power cat, but as I have become the documentor of such sail plans I felt the need to post it. And particularly because I have also been an avid promotor of the motorsailer type vessel in the multihull form.

This vessel definitely looks like a very comfortable live-aboard motorsailer.
BambaYachts - individually built and with external project management
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft mast Powercat,ps.jpg
Views:	1774
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	37903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft mast bamba 501,ps,sm.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	37904  

Name:	Aft Mast bamba502,ps.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	37905  
Old 23-02-2012, 18:04   #83
Marine Service Provider

Hong Kong 40 sail-assisted powercat

BTW, where in Asia did you have in mind making a cruise?

Here is a 40 footer referred to as the Hong Kong model as they have built 2 for clients up there and are working on a 3rd. Its a sail-assisted powercat that utilizes a sailing rig inspired by me....a mastaft or aftmast however you wantto term it. i believe a new one of these can be had for a VERY reasonable price, and then toured around Thailand and Malaysia for awhile.

HK40' - Power Sailing Catamaran.

I'm over in Thailand right now getting ready to come back to USA for awhile. But I will be paying a visit to Raoul's boatyards this next weekend. I can get you their latest pricing if the vessel interest you?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HK40-catamaran-final-product-29b, ps.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	37907   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK40-catamaran-final-product-14b, ps.jpg
Views:	2008
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	37908  

Name:	HK40-catamaran-final-product-33b, ps.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	37909  
Old 23-02-2012, 19:57   #84
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Easier said than done unfortunately as I need ease of use:-(

How long would it take me to learn how to sail?

However I must admit that I do REALLY love the Lagoon 500 that friends own but its out of my price range and practically unsinkable even in the foulest and roughest of seas.
If we are talking a relately simple boat, give me two full days. Or better yet the basics on a beach catamaran or monohull (cat is more stable) in a full day....seat-of-the-pants feeling on small vessels...and orientation to the wind.

Storm tactics, navigation and all the other things you will want to learn almost equally whether its a power vessel or sailing vessel going off shore.
Old 23-02-2012, 20:08   #85
Marine Service Provider

Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Koum, there's lots of good reasons why the overwhelming majority of ocean crossing private boats are sailboats. Simply a matter that wind is free, takes no space, is (relatively) reliable among the trade wind routes, and doesn't weigh anything (on your boat, that is). Ocean crossing power boats are expensive beasts and must be able to take on lots of fuel. To take on lots of fuel, they must also be big. To move a big boat takes lots of power, which means more fuel -- and so on, and so on. Even "small" sailboats, though, can do it. That 16 year old a few years ago did a nonstop circumnavigation on a 34 footer.

Learning to sail really isn't all that hard. You can learn how to move the boat with sails in 20 minutes. Of course, you'll still be learning 20 years later, but that's a lot of the fun! Your friend who will take you out for 4 to 6 weeks will be able to teach you a lot. Some classes, or just going out with others will teach you, too. Much of the stuff you'd need to learn to run a power cat in such circumstances is just as applicable to sail. So, I agree with one of the others (Sand crab?) who recommended that you just go sailing and see how you like it. You might be very pleasantly surprised. Personally, I'd rather sail, any day. So much more pleasant, in so many ways.

By the way:

1. The Leopard 37 power cat that went from S. Africa to the Caribbean did it in multiple hops and was loaded to the gills with fuel. They had very favorable weather, which certainly helped. And, they only went 7 knots most of the way. (BYM Product and Industry News) Note that they only took 32 gallons of water. Eek! I wouldn't want to head off into the S. Atlantic with only that much water. A sailing cat would very likely have a considerably quicker crossing, with no where near the anxiety, in my humble opinion.
2. While your friend's Lagoon 500 is a very nice, luxurious boat, they are definitely not unsinkable. Search right here at CF and you'll find a story of a new 500 that would have sank had the skipper not intentionally run her aground, first. There is another story of a 440 or 500 that sank after a hurricane, with pictures of just the bows sticking up out of the water. While many cats do have positive buoyancy such that you could cut them in half and both halves would still float, Lagoon isn't one of them. There was another new 500 up here in the PacNW that hit a buoy (first trip, what a bummer) and the hull split open, almost sinking her. Fortunately, they were very close to Port Townsend and got her saved.
3. Getting in touch with Cat Man Do is a very good idea. That guy has spent lots of time researching power cats and knows his stuff like very few others around here. If you're serious about following that course, he can show you the way.
4. Finally, no matter what you do, boats are an exercise in balancing your compromises. Even with the incredible variety, you can't get it all. Figure out what's most important to you, prioritize, learn, re-prioritize, and then make a choice, knowing that there will be times when you wished you had compromised some the other way. Just the way it is.

But, most important of all -- have fun! That is what it's all about.

ID
I was just reading thru this subject thread and making replies as I came to certain postings. Looks like I could have saved a few of my postings as this hit the nail on the head.
Old 23-02-2012, 20:42   #86
Marine Service Provider

Picnic / Weekender Cat

Here is an interesting little powercat I saw on one of my visits to boat building areas on the Gulf of Thailand. I termed it a picnic / weekender cat
Weekender/Picnic PowerCat - YachtForums.Com

Weekender/Picnic PowerCat - Page 2 - Boat Design Forums
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ThaiWeekendCat2.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	37914  
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 00:00   #87
Marine Service Provider

LAGOON powercats, a delivery skippers point of view

Quote:
I have been looking for a power catamaran or trawler as theyseem to be called to buy in the $400 to $500k bracket and altough there few available my preferred choice would be a Lagoon Power Cat 44 as friends tell me they are well made and represent great value for money. (apparently the lagoon power 43 is significantly infrior as a boat)
I REALLY like the looks of these Lagoon powercats. they impart to me a somewhat New England (USA) traditional look to them. Maybe its the sheer line...I don't know? But I think they just have a few too many quirks that need to be taken into account in a redesign.

I was going to document a lot of the material I've collected on their problems, and their buyer's resistance on a forum discussion, but I wanted to document it a bit more with personal experiences, and talks with experienced skippers who have handled them. That is not finished yet, and I may not publish it only to let the some other designer take the info I've spent a considerable time collecting over a period of time.

But here is one skipper who gives a pretty honest accounting of his experiences with these vessels. Read this subject thread for his views on several delivery trips. "Capt J" is his forum name.
Power Cat vs. comparable monohull yacht - YachtForums.Com
Old 02-03-2012, 17:55   #88
Marine Service Provider

Do I have bad breath,...or did I say something wrong

This conversation seems to have just died after my couple of postings above.
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 18:41   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Do I have bad breath,...or did I say something wrong

This conversation seems to have just died after my couple of postings above.
Not bad breath at all just my inability to see messages on my computer in this forum for the past week or so

Anyway current state of play is I am definitely going for a Poewer Cat with no sails and have managed to get a few friends in Europe to look at a few for me and it seems that the Fountaine Pajot Cumberland 44 (or 46 if prices drop further) is the front runner and the lagoon has been dismissed. The Cumbrland seems to have the best and safest and most well thought out design of those considered to date but the fuel economy isnt great but I doubt I will worry about fuel consumption as I never let things like that worry me when it comes to cars and most of the time I guess I'll be going 7-10 knotts.

unfortunately melbourne has been very wet this week and I have still to locate any vesels in this region and am still nable to travel to the Gold and/or Sunshine Coast.

Some of the boats viewed on my bahlf in europe have proved to have been falsely described but there is definitely an air of desperation abput the sellers and as such I am going to take my time over this purchase and wait until I return to Europe.

This will enable me to try and look at a few boats in SIngapore and Thailand before I get back home in late July at which point shall view whatever is available in Europe myself before making a final decision.

Although I like the idea of sail power it definitely isnt me so am sticking with the power cats.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:35   #90

Boat: 55 foot Malcolm Tennant

Tuff question. Check out my cat at Victor Lipscomb on face book.
Jazzmancat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran