Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 16:59   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Which Power Catamaran ?

Have you looked through Yachtworld.com to get more of an idea of brands and models?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...luom=126&No=10

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 17:45   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

You certainly need to do your own research but Catmando's advise is with some real knowledge and he is building his own similar vessel.

Fuel use and range of the European designed vessels will be your biggest issue as he indicated.

There are a number of Australian/NZ designers whose vessels do deliver in fuel economy/range your looking at that have not been build in the same numbers as the European designers. Bradey, Chamberlain , Bob Oram, Rodger Hill, Malcom Tennant, Dereck Kelsall.

Good luck in your search.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Have you looked through Yachtworld.com to get more of an idea of brands and models?

(Power) Power Catamaran Boats For Sale
Thank you for the advice and yes I have looked through Yachtword at various power cats around the 40' mark

Unfortunately for whatever reason they seem to classify the same boats under different categories which makes things a little complex at times but far worse is that they also seem to also list no longer available boats too

However it has proven to be a good source of information and has led me to various boats in various locations
Koum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
You certainly need to do your own research but Catmando's advise is with some real knowledge and he is building his own similar vessel.

Fuel use and range of the European designed vessels will be your biggest issue as he indicated.

There are a number of Australian/NZ designers whose vessels do deliver in fuel economy/range your looking at that have not been build in the same numbers as the European designers. Bradey, Chamberlain , Bob Oram, Rodger Hill, Malcom Tennant, Dereck Kelsall.

Good luck in your search.
I am currently in Melbourne Australia and keen to look at some boats whilst I am here and hopefully can better assess the local Aussie and NZ power cats by actually loking atl some for real.

Any suggestions as to any local agents who can help would be welcomed
Old 17-02-2012, 19:32   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

As I recall, there were some serious powerplant/shaft problems with the Lagoons. I can't point to a specific link at the moment, but I do recall reading about it in several places.

While lots of people don't care for them, I've seen a fair number of Endeavor powercats on the US E. Coast. While their lines might not be for everyone, a couple of the owners I've talked with liked them a lot and said that you get a lot for your money.

If I were going to be looking at a powercat (and I'm not), I'd be looking for a PDQ 41. PDQ made great boats, high quality construction, designed and built to be an owner liveaboard, not a charter boat. After the Canadian company went under (through no fault of the product, just awful economic conditions), Pearson Composites bought the powercat side of the business. I don't know if they're actually making new ones, but they have a website at: Welcome to PDQ Yachts There are a couple of the originals listed on yachtworld.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 20:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
As I recall, there were some serious powerplant/shaft problems with the Lagoons. I can't point to a specific link at the moment, but I do recall reading about it in several places.

While lots of people don't care for them, I've seen a fair number of Endeavor powercats on the US E. Coast. While their lines might not be for everyone, a couple of the owners I've talked with liked them a lot and said that you get a lot for your money.

If I were going to be looking at a powercat (and I'm not), I'd be looking for a PDQ 41. PDQ made great boats, high quality construction, designed and built to be an owner liveaboard, not a charter boat. After the Canadian company went under (through no fault of the product, just awful economic conditions), Pearson Composites bought the powercat side of the business. I don't know if they're actually making new ones, but they have a website at: Welcome to PDQ Yachts There are a couple of the originals listed on yachtworld.

ID
These both look interesting and I will have to check them out

Woud be nice if there was a central resource covering independnt reviews of all the various power cats that I could look up a bit like car reviews that highlight the design faults advantages and disadvantages of the features and design of the various boats.

Does anyone know if such a resort exists on the internet?

Still going to track down allthese makes and models and give them a thorough examination followed by a charter of those that pass my initial tests
Old 17-02-2012, 21:13   #22

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I have been looking for ages and i think there is a big opening in the global market for a production motor cat that is not a sailing hull type adoption.
A cat that has range and fuel storage to boot would be very popular.
Too many ugly adaptions around at present.
The sunreef power 70 and 60 ft cats are awesome but big $$$$$
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 23:37   #23

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koum View Post

One friend of mine who has been a boat person all his life is adamant he wouldnt be seen dead in a Leopard and he specifically hates its restrictive views from the helm
A quick look at the vessel shows what a ridiculous statement this is

No shortage of visibility from that flybridge, easily as much as the lagoon and the cumberland
Old 18-02-2012, 00:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
A quick look at the vessel shows what a ridiculous statement this is

No shortage of visibility from that flybridge, easily as much as the lagoon and the cumberland
Perhaps I should clarify as he meant from downstairs rather than the fly bridge as all these boats have secondary controls from which to operate in bad weather
Old 18-02-2012, 03:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koum View Post
Perhaps I should clarify as he meant from downstairs rather than the fly bridge as all these boats have secondary controls from which to operate in bad weather
All?
Nothing in this picture, or on the leopard website

Nothing in this video either
Old 18-02-2012, 03:44   #26

Sorry about that I just assumed when the Leopard is descibed as having a forward facing navigation station that it also has controls there but I havent been on one yet to see for myself.

I just assumed that there were two helm stations as I have seen boats with two which begs the question as to why would some have two whilst the Leopard only has one?

Perhaps my friend made the same assumption but he has decades of experience of sail catamarans and maybe that explains his bias towards Lagoon boats and the 44.

Anyway I am some way off making a final decision and will have to see a Leopard 47 close up along with a Cumberland 46 and Lagoon 44 to see these details first hand. Doesnt seem the same watching videa tours on You Tube and I havent found any owners who can tell me what they like and dislike about each.
Old 18-02-2012, 04:45   #27

Well I can tell you right now that any internal helmed cats I have been on in the tropics are a hotbox, especially if the helm is near glass.
Flybridge will always be the favoured position for visibility and ventilation and if there is a bit of weather, its no big deal, your sailing counterparts are out there in it as well, but at least you have a roof and the option of clears, though I wont be bothered as rain is nice when its hot and wet weather gear is good these days.

I wont have an internal helm either, but I will have the autopilot remote station and engine controls inside for on passage.
Vis will not be 100% but I have found you are up and looking around anyway (keeping watch) and at night, radar will be an essential tool.
If you are coming into an area of traffic, back into the flybridge for the best view.

I have been on the lagoon powercat and I have to say, I thought it was a pretty poor effort for use in the "real" world, hate to disappoint you.

I can understand how those with one, who perhaps didn't explore all options could be biased toward them and the branding.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:04   #28

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Another contender in your decision process could well be the Powershuttle 47:

Powershuttle 47 Motorised Catamaran

I think it ticks off quite a number of points mentioned here.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:39   #29

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Koum, The Somali pirate debacle has pretty much eliminated the Indian Ocean Red Sea passage from the Med to Asia. It's a long, long way from asia to South Africa. Most trawlers in your price range won't have this range. Sails would help.
Old 18-02-2012, 12:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Well I can tell you right now that any internal helmed cats I have been on in the tropics are a hotbox, especially if the helm is near glass.
Flybridge will always be the favoured position for visibility and ventilation and if there is a bit of weather, its no big deal, your sailing counterparts are out there in it as well, but at least you have a roof and the option of clears, though I wont be bothered as rain is nice when its hot and wet weather gear is good these days.

I wont have an internal helm either, but I will have the autopilot remote station and engine controls inside for on passage.
Vis will not be 100% but I have found you are up and looking around anyway (keeping watch) and at night, radar will be an essential tool.
If you are coming into an area of traffic, back into the flybridge for the best view.

I have been on the lagoon powercat and I have to say, I thought it was a pretty poor effort for use in the "real" world, hate to disappoint you.

I can understand how those with one, who perhaps didn't explore all options could be biased toward them and the branding.
I have to say that not having an internal second helm seems to be a big minus for the Leopard. It basically means that in terrible weather or rough seas you are going to have to be on the fly bridge bobbing up and down with a chance of being thrown overboard with no protection from the elements.

It would indicate to me that it is more designed as a fair weather boat or for coastal waters and not suited to hitting the open ocean at all as I really cannot see anyone wanting to be forced into having to stay on the flybridge in bad weather and choppy seas.

It also means someone will always have to be up there in emergencies as there will be little you can do from the saloon.

Have I misunderstood something here because it certainly seems to me that the lack of a second lower helm is a definite drawback.

The next few weeks are going to be critical to my decision making as I will be visiting local marinas in Melbourne looking for various power cats and availing myself of their owners views but I think the Leopard is going to be facing an uphill battle because of this flybridge only helm and the thought of being forced to be up there in bad weather and in emergency situations.

Having sadi that I am never going to rush this decision and a final choice will be made in approximately 6 months time followed by an indefinite wait until I have found the perfect example for my requirements of the winning make and model.

Tags
catamaran