Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2010, 05:48   #1

Boat: Chapparal 290 Signature
West Palm to Freeport Crossing

Is there anyone who knows about groups of boaters that do the crossing from West Palm to the Bahamas together ? I would like to get in touch with them. Someone said to just get to the West Palm area and get on the VHF. I was hoping for a little bit more info on it. I want to make the crossing but have never done it before. Any suggestions would help,Thanks,Tom
tompands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 06:04   #2

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
In the 6 months I spent in Lake Worth, I didn't see organized groups of boaters, but people did dinghy around and get on the VHF to cross with other boats. In the spring, sailboats would queue up for the weather windows, but it's been pretty light and variable lately so I doubt many are stacking up.

A lot of crossing to the Abacos this time of year is power boats popping over for fishing or lobster, and I've never seen them queue up. Get a forecast, take a look, and then zoom over.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 06:10   #3

I second Troubador.Done it 30+ times and as long as you check weather and have twin engines it's no problem .Alot of times you'll be in sight of other boats crossing from other inlets.
riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 06:12   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
With your boat--Chapparal 290--you should be able to make the run very easily and quickly under the right circumstances of wind and weather. The more salient question is how well the boat will handle big seas which can develop quickly if there is a change in the weather--which can also happen quickly on Florida's east coast.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 06:59   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The Bahamas offers what they call a Boating Fling,
Boating Flings | The Bahamas
in which they will caravan a group of boats over to the Bahamas. You can continue in the group once you arrive or go off on your own. It can be great fun. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 07:40   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I've got a question. If I am passing throught Bahamian waters with no intention of stopping on my way to the Caribbean - do I still have to pay the fee?
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 11:58   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
I've got a question. If I am passing throught Bahamian waters with no intention of stopping on my way to the Caribbean - do I still have to pay the fee?
only if your fishing
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 19:14   #8

Boat: Bertram 46MY
Crossing to Freeport

We cross from either Stuart or West Palm to Freeport each year, usually in November. This year we will probably cross about the 2nd week in November.
We have a 46' Bertram and cruise 16 to 18 knots depending on sea conditions.
When were you looking to cross?
Carl
carlpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 19:22   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
The SeaRayers go a lot..... They look like a line of elephants attached trunk to tail. I was in Lucaya once when they came.... One of the most comical episodes of docking I ever witnessed
Old 26-09-2010, 10:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpat View Post
We cross from either Stuart or West Palm to Freeport each year, usually in November. This year we will probably cross about the 2nd week in November.
We have a 46' Bertram and cruise 16 to 18 knots depending on sea conditions.
When were you looking to cross?
Carl
I'm not sure. It's just an idea I have.....nothing set in stone. How long does it take you at that speed? What do you think about making that trip in a 30 footer? The ocean is calmer in the winter months, I assume.
Old 26-09-2010, 11:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
The SeaRayers go a lot..... They look like a line of elephants attached trunk to tail. I was in Lucaya once when they came.... One of the most comical episodes of docking I ever witnessed
Is that a club of some sort? Do you have any idea how to get in touch with them? I might just fit right in with them...my wife tells me i'm comical all the time.
Old 26-09-2010, 11:16   #12

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompands View Post
I'm not sure. It's just an idea I have.....nothing set in stone. How long does it take you at that speed? What do you think about making that trip in a 30 footer? The ocean is calmer in the winter months, I assume.
My last crossing was in a north wind of about 8 knots in a 30 foot Hunter. That was an upgrade from my previous 26-foot sailboats which I crossed in with up to 20 knots south (and one attempt at 35 SE which was not pleasant)

What I have taken to doing, is getting a pre-dawn start and arriving at WE around 3:00.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 12:07   #13

Boat: Bertram 46MY
Crossing to Freeport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompands View Post
Stuart to Lucaya (just past Freeport) is 100 miles which usually takes us 5 to 6 hours. No winter is not necessarily calmer. We try to pick a day when the Gulf Stream is fairly calm. Wind out of the South or West is best. North is worst, fights the Gulf Stream and can get pretty nasty. You should be able to make it in your 30 footer just fine, if you pick a reasonable day. If you want you can follow across behind us, as we tend to flatten it out some. Plus we usually try to find another boat to cross with anyway for safety.
Carl
carlpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freeport