Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 20:36   #1

Wellcraft San Remo 43'

Anyone have any info about Wellcraft San Remo's? Any history of problems, any great experiences? First time boat buyer. Help me out! 1989 by the way.
golfcruiser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 14:24   #2

Boat: Wellcraft 38 KV Scarab Carver 4207 Aft Cabin
Stringers and Transom rot. Get a good survey!
OTIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 18:54   #3

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Run Forest! Run!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 19:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Run Forest! Run!
Well lets not get too dramatic here!

I have a 87' Wellcraft Scarab--excellent build quality and never had any issues-also owned a 87' Portofino several years back, again no issues! I have a 89' Portofino now and AGAIN no issues with the Stringers or Transom.

I have looked at the San Remo and it seems like a nice boat with the added stateroom. Just get Survey and pay attention to the stringer in the engine room and transom area, soft flooring is also a way to determine if there are any issues.

Good luck-let us know how it turns out for ya
Old 21-02-2010, 05:07   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Your right Otimo, My Bad! l own an 89' Scarrab Sprint and it is a rock sold go fast boat. The Scarrabs were built in a different plant run by Gus Anastasia in 88/89.

The San Remo would make a nice cruiser / liveaboard. Most had Cat 3208's . Let's hope it has not been sitting on a canal all buttoned up and moldng for years.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 19:33   #6

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"
Look for soft decks and leaky windshield frames, also check the bulkhead tabbing where you can sight it.
Old 25-02-2010, 07:07   #7

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep those in mind.
golfcruiser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcruiser59 View Post
Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep those in mind.

Did you buy it? I am quessing you are looking at the one that was on ebay for 65K! Not a bad price!
Old 19-06-2010, 19:47   #9

Wellcraft Cruisers...

Actually the Portofino's and San Remo's get a bad rap...

The "St. Tropez" was the problem child for Wellcraft. I had dinner recently with an ex-Wellcraft exec, and he reminded me that Wellcraft was the LEADER in build quality in the 80's...Miami Vice/Universal was a major sponsor.

The St. Tropez was a built flop, lots of rot problems, for some reason the bad rap leaks over to other Wellcraft boats, but as a guy who owns to of the FINEST boats (a 38KV Scarab and Portofino) I am here to say they get a very bad rap--for what I think is an awesome Express Crusier and a lot of bang for the buck! I have had so many compliments on my Portofino it is hard to believe she is a 21 year old boat!

Get a survey--and in my opinion the Portofino and San Remo as well as the CMY 46' are all WORLD CLASS cruisers and can be had for a deal!

Good Luck!
Old 22-06-2010, 10:57   #10

While looking at the date of your post, I am sure that your have made your decision, but since I was looking for some Remo answers myself and figured a quick post may help.

I have a 1990 Wellcraft San Remo and it has been an overall a great boat. I just bought it a three years ago. I think it has a very nice layout in the saloon. We have a full dining room table with plenty of room for the walkway and couch etc. Everyone that has came on the boat has commented about it when they enter.

We just moved from Illinois to South Carolina and were thinking about selling the boat, but we decided to take her on a half a loop. We just put down 450 miles on the first leg late last year to get her to Green Turtle Bay and our getting ready for the second leg to Pickwick, TN or Demopolis, AL depending on the weather. While not the typical looper trawler, I suppose it says something about the San Remo to be taking it on this long of a trip.

Although we have boated for many years, a 43 is a lot of boat for a first time owner. We installed a bow thruster for a bit of safety in high cross winds, but it probably is not a necessity and very few will have one installed.

The main negative of the boat, in my mind, is that the engines are mid ship and to repair an engine it will have to be done in the vessel. To remove the engine will require tearing the engine to the block in order to get the big Cat V8 diesels out the door. Of course, there are many other boats with the same issue. If you buy it, make sure that the engines are in great shape and maintain the engines well. If they are gas engines, they may fit through the door, but I would plan on limited adventures because they eat a lot of $.

Good Luck!
skyinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 13:45   #11

Re: Wellcraft San Remo 43'

Just to keep the thread alive....

I have been living aboard my 43' Portofino for over a year, I think the boat is way ahead of it's time...very classy sport Express Cruiser with lots of room, I consider it my Miami Condo.

I just looked at a 46' CMY that is like the San Remo but has a larger Transon area, was about to pull the trigger when I got a chance to look at a 42' Carver Aft Cabin 4207....wow! that boat has tons of room, it looks like a mini Hatteras!

I'll probably keep my Portofino for another 3-4 years and see if the economy improves then sell it for a bigger boat.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:08   #12

Well thanks for keeping the thread alive. I saw some pics of a 42 ish carver. Yep its prety darn nice. What are you going to upgrade to if the economy get bigger? new used?
Old 28-11-2011, 18:32   #13

Thinking of buying 1988 San Remo in a really great condition. Looks like a great boat. Unfortunately very limited info about this boat. Problem is that boat has been sitting in the water for 3-5 years without engine been on just once. Any recomendation? Thanks.
ibmvhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 06:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmvhp View Post
Thinking of buying 1988 San Remo in a really great condition. Looks like a great boat. Unfortunately very limited info about this boat. Problem is that boat has been sitting in the water for 3-5 years without engine been on just once. Any recomendation? Thanks.
You have been "thinking" a lot these days huh?

How did that 22K offer work on the Portofino?

San Remo's are built on a Portofino Hull....nice interior but a little more top heavy with the upper deck. There is also the 46 CMY which adds a little deck area behind the aft cabin. IMHO the lines are not as nice as the 43' Portofino.

Also a boat sitting 3-5 years and the engine has been run "once" YGTBSM!

You have two choices, buy a nice well kept boat, or get a "deal" on a very poor maintained vessel and have to shell out a lot of $$$$$ to bring in to a seaworthy condition.
Old 29-11-2011, 07:40   #15

Wellcraft does make excellent boats, but THEY MUST BE MAINTAINED!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23555_430534464740_615859740_5358933_8318382_n.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	34221   Click image for larger version

Name:	scarab4.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	34222