Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 18:17   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Volvo Diesel's

So maybe not the place to ask.. But I will ask anyway.

My motors are 11 now and have 5k ish hours. Both run excellent but leak a little oil. I can't seem to find the leak. Any suggestions on where to look on the md2030?

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 19:18   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
So maybe not the place to ask.. But I will ask anyway.

My motors are 11 now and have 5k ish hours. Both run excellent but leak a little oil. I can't seem to find the leak. Any suggestions on where to look on the md2030?

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Leak or burn? Can you see a physical external leak?

Likely external leak candidates: timing cover gasket, oil pan gasket, water pump">raw water pump mounting flange seal, and my favorite...those damn little o-ring seals they use on the throttle and fuel shut off shafts...you have to pull the timing gear cover to replace them and the odds of nicking one when reinstalling is high...PITA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 20:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Leak or burn? Can you see a physical external leak?

Likely external leak candidates: timing cover gasket, oil pan gasket, raw water pump mounting flange seal, and my favorite...those damn little o-ring seals they use on the throttle and fuel shut off shafts...you have to pull the timing gear cover to replace them and the odds of nicking one when reinstalling is high...PITA.
Definately leaking. Our boat has a compartment directly beneith the engine and the oil collects there. Its OK as only a little mixes with the bilge water and the rest stays in that compartment. Its a fairly fast leak at about 1/2 liter per 30 hours on one engine. My best guess is the oil pan gasket as most leaks beneith the engine.

I just haven't had time to REALLY look it over. My plan is to wash everything down super well and then get it good and hot. Hopefully I can spot the leak. Or just replace all the seals you listed and a few others!
Old 17-12-2015, 03:55   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Definately leaking. Our boat has a compartment directly beneith the engine and the oil collects there. Its OK as only a little mixes with the bilge water and the rest stays in that compartment. Its a fairly fast leak at about 1/2 liter per 30 hours on one engine. My best guess is the oil pan gasket as most leaks beneith the engine.

I just haven't had time to REALLY look it over. My plan is to wash everything down super well and then get it good and hot. Hopefully I can spot the leak. Or just replace all the seals you listed and a few others!
Yes, easiest to spot while running, just be careful of moving parts.

Also why I like my engine/engine compartment clean...much easier to spot new leaks.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 04:09   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Check to make sure the little washer gasket on the oil pan bleed screw hasn't been lost.

Another possibility on old/high hour engines is the rear seal. Is the leak in the back of the engine between it and the saildrive?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Check to make sure the little washer gasket on the oil pan bleed screw hasn't been lost.

Another possibility on old/high hour engines is the rear seal. Is the leak in the back of the engine between it and the saildrive?

Mark
Ha.. I think you may have found the major leak on one of my motors. I found a copper washer in the leaked oil and couldn't figure out where it came from. I will bet its from that bleed screw.

Unfortunately, the other motor could be a rear seal as the oil leaks directly under the motor and I can't see any visible leaks.
Old 17-12-2015, 07:33   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I gotta ask, you have to bleed the oil pan?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:38   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I didn't know what to call it. It is the screw that lets the oil out for an oil change.

We have a fitting connected to ours that leads a hose to an electric pump - flip a switch and all the oil pumps out. Flip the switch the other way and it sucks new oil in.

But I once had a transmission where that copper seal washer corroded off and dropped the oil out of the pan.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:42   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I call it the drain plug, I don't know if that is the correct term or not. Now I know what your talking about, I was envisioning a screw that had to be opened to let air out, so you could put oil in or something
I've got one too of course, but have never removed it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, volvo