Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 22:51   #1

Tropictramp

I’m gearing up for a trip and a half although I’ve crossed the pacific more than a few times I’ve never done it on a40’ Luhrs.
Well I guess it’s time someone did. $45,000 to ship the boat seems a little far fetched so I bought this forty foot Luhrs in San Diego with the intention of getting it home. I should have looked into how much it cost to ship it before I jumped in with both feet!
I’m committed now! Well so far I’ve got 5 500 gallon fuel bladders and 600 gallons in the tanks it would be nice to have a running partner but if I can’t find one I’m going to get my boat home come hell or high water... I’ve seen a lot of threads talking about it. Well within the next 30 days I’m going for it.
I’ll let ya all know how it went when I get home, Honolulu, But if ya don’t here from me again... save a prayer for me on some Sunday .Aloha
Tropictramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 23:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Tropictramp

Take a Garmin In Reach with you so we can track you. Have fun!
Old 10-04-2020, 23:11   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

You are aware that French Polynesia and most other countries are closed to entry by sea?
Old 11-04-2020, 04:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tramp.

“... Hawaii Governor David Ige has asked that you postpone your trips to Hawaii to give us the opportunity to address this health crisis. To that end he has mandated a 14-day quarantine for all visitors and residents entering the state. In addition, the island mayors have over the past few days instituted home lockdowns except for essential personnel. Like all visitors to Hawaii, we would like you to experience the best the islands have to offer. Now, unfortunately, is clearly not the time ...”
https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:19   #5

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

You need to shop the freight companies some more or go to a mexico port for departure, They constantly move heavy equipment, generators, pumps, hvac units on deck in open skids that mount atop other 40ft shipping container below them. Price should be well under $7,000 US. Some vessels are self loading, which means they can drop you in water at your port of arrival and save on cargo handling fees at arrival port.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 19:32   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
You need to shop the freight companies some more or go to a mexico port for departure, They constantly move heavy equipment, generators, pumps, hvac units on deck in open skids that mount atop other 40ft shipping container below them. Price should be well under $7,000 US. Some vessels are self loading, which means they can drop you in water at your port of arrival and save on cargo handling fees at arrival port.
Have you ever shipped across an ocean a 45ft boat for usd7,000? That is way, way lower than all the quotes I've seen.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 10:15   #7

Five 500 gallon bladders plus 600 gallons of in-tanks fuel equals 3,100 gallons of diesel. At 7 lbs per gallon, that's 21,700 pounds added to a 30,000 lb. dry weight boat. I think you've far exceeded the boat's buoyancy, not to mention its stability.
Left Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramp