Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2023, 11:47   #1

Trawlers to look out for

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. Our family have been on weekenders on boats for years, mainly sail boats, we are planning a 2 to 3 year sabbatical. We are keen to cruise the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexico and great loop. We really like the Defever 44, in particular the galley up, big flush aft deck (safe for kids), stabilizers, large aft cabin and kids room in the bow and the huge engine room. I haven't seen many other boats with that layout, are there any others we should look out for? Don't really want to go bigger than 45ft and $200k. Thanks! Cheers
darian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:22   #2

re: Trawlers to look out for

Your price point, size and cruising destination are not completely in line. There are 2 Defever's in the entire US that meet your criteria. I guarantee anything able to cruise the Caribbean, over 40 feet and under $200K is going to need a lot of work.

The one in Miami boasts "New Fridges" and shows images of a couple of AC dorm fridges.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:35   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by darian View Post
Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. Our family have been on weekenders on boats for years, mainly sail boats, we are planning a 2 to 3 year sabbatical. We are keen to cruise the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexico and great loop. We really like the Defever 44, in particular the galley up, big flush aft deck (safe for kids), stabilizers, large aft cabin and kids room in the bow and the huge engine room. I haven't seen many other boats with that layout, are there any others we should look out for? Don't really want to go bigger than 45ft and $200k. Thanks! Cheers

You might get some useful info from folks at trawlerforum.com (sister site).

-Chris
Old 05-06-2023, 14:13   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
You might get some useful info from folks at trawlerforum.com (sister site).

-Chris
Talking from experience, good luck with that.

To the OP I have been looking at used trawlers online for months now and feel at $200k you have lots of choices! I think the biggest problem you will find is the no bigger than 45' thing
Old 05-06-2023, 17:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darian View Post
In my opinion, a big item is stabilization. If Caribbean and Mexico are legitimately in your crosshairs, you will not be disappointed that you held-out for a stabilized boat. It really, really makes a difference on open water.

Defever 44s (and their older brethren the 43s) are often stabilized. They are full-displacement, twin engine boats. They are a bit tall so stabilization is really needed. I know of two that have sold in the last 6-months or so for just over $200k. I also know of a stabilized Cheoy Lee 46 that sold about a year ago for $150k.

There are other options. I know of a family of four that cruised a stabilized Grand Banks 42 throughout the Caribbean full-time for about 5-years. A circumnavigator under sail, he just happend upon a stabilized boat. It wasn't until he cruised it that he realized how importantstabilization was to his family's comfort.

Many of the Hatteras line of motoryachts are stabilized. They were well built but getting a bit long-in-the-tooth so are often within your price point, though they almost always have Detroits vs Cat or Cummins. There a zillion 53 Motoryacht's out there. Here's one in Maryland that has been covered for 20-years and has Naiads. $200k. https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...yacht-8626669/

Here's a Stabilized Cheoy Lee 46 that's been for sale for a while at $250k. Unclear whether it's still for sale or an older listing. https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...awler-8358773/

The boats are out there, but take some searching. I too would recommend TrawlerForum.com, a sister-site to CruisersForum.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 17:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Some years back I volunteered to be a crew member on a (non-stabilized) Trawler headed south from Florida to the Caribbean.

Things were...more or less okay...until leaving Georgetown in the Exumas as it became a direct windward slog from there onwards, with beam seas rolling that trawler around in ways I didn't think possible..
Being on a time schedule, the trip was utterly and totally miserable, with us and boat covered in salt spray from bow to stern.
The fuel bill was staggering and I was sure glad it wasn't coming out of my pocket.

Your boat selection needs careful thought in this department.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Some years back I volunteered to be a crew member on a (non-stabilized) Trawler headed south from Florida to the Caribbean.

Things were...more or less okay...until leaving Georgetown in the Exumas as it became a direct windward slog from there onwards, with beam seas rolling that trawler around in ways I didn't think possible..
Being on a time schedule, the trip was utterly and totally miserable, with us and boat covered in salt spray from bow to stern.
The fuel bill was staggering and I was sure glad it wasn't coming out of my pocket.

Your boat selection needs careful thought in this department.
Stabilization is mandatory for me. Really makes a huge quality of life difference. As does being in an enclosed pilot space vs an open cockpit during heavy spray conditions which can be relentless in the Caribbean.

As far as fuel cost, it's a choice. If you want to go faster than hull speed, there's a hefty premium to be paid. If however you're content at hull speed, the longterm cruising costs are roughly similar to that of a sailboat. A sistership to my Willard 36 went from California to Hawaii and burned 335 gals diesel for the 2200nm trip in about 14 days, about 6 kts average VMG. A slightly larger Willard 40 went from Long Beach to La Paz and burned around 1.5 gph and averaged a tad over 7 kts (VMG), or around 175 gals diesel for the 1000nm trek.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:35   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Talking from experience, good luck with that.

As usual with forums, when folks ask a question that has 453 "right" answers... they get 1276 answers (only including 376 of those 453 "right" answers)... and then the thread wanders off toward less-directly-related stuff.

Of course, some folks don't really like to hear "it depends" in response to a question like "how long is a piece of string?"

And then some folks don't like the answers they get, and get all pissy when everyone else is just trying to help.

Pretty much like here. Or any other forum.

-Chris
Old 06-06-2023, 08:34   #9

Thanks everyone. I have searched to see if I could find any other boats that ticked the boxes I mentioned in my post. It doesn't seem any other boats tick them as the defever 44 does?
darian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:20   #10
Marine Service Provider

Before I bought my 3rd sailboat, I had considered getting a trawler, so I went and looked at a few

The first hurdle, for me personally, that really jumped out at me was the "engine room". This, mostly tiny room or space, typically found in a 42-44 footer, has to accommodate two big diesel engine's, a genset and a variety of other things, fuel filters, refrigeration, a/c and so on.
There were more pipes, hoses, gadgets and gizmo's in there that my mind could absorb.

To make matters worse, it was blisteringly hot in there and to get at some stuff would incorporate some crawling around on all fours. Some engine rooms are accessed from the cabin sole, while others have a midget size doorway leading into it. Unless you are a 97 lb fit and limber individual, expect some challenges here. If you are like me, plus 200 lbs, have fun.

Just changing the oil was going to a quite a job.

My advice, therefore is, spend some time in the engine room and see yourself in there, servicing this, that or the other.

Pick a hot day to do so, being mindful that there is no a/c down there.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:42   #11

Re: Trawlers to look out for

Compared to most sailboats where the engine is crammed into a space, not an engine room, most trawlers have significantly better access. Admittedly, cramming twins into a 40 / 45 footer with stabilization and a genset does make it tighter. On the other hand my 37 NT has all around access and if I didn’t carry as much I could even sleep on the starboard side. The other factor is that you should not have to spend much time at all in the engine room if you perform preventive maintenance and keep follow maintenance recommendations. Other than daily checks of levels, any leaks, etc. in a three month cruise I spend less than an hour a week in there.
Senojev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 13:39   #12
Marine Service Provider

Buying a used trawler generally means engines and generators with a lot of hours on them, likely in the 1000's, so engine maintenance will vary from boat to boat. The trawlers I looked had engine spaces a tad on the grimy side...

All three of my sailboats had excellent engine access, albeit in a small space, I was/am able to get to any part of the engine.

But, each to his own....
Old 06-06-2023, 15:35   #13

Quote:
Buying a used trawler generally means engines and generators with a lot of hours on them, likely in the 1000's, so engine maintenance will vary from boat to boat. The trawlers I looked had engine spaces a tad on the grimy side...

All three of my sailboats had excellent engine access, albeit in a small space, I was/am able to get to any part of the engine.

But, each to his own....
Interesting that a sailor recently posted that he was surprised the engine/generator hours trawlers were much lower than expected.

Glad you found sailboats with decent engine access. I note that Project Atticus, with their recently purchased Pacific Seacraft 40, require a handheld inspection mirror to see the water pump">raw water pump meaning that swapping the impellor is blind with your cheek resting upon the valve cover.

I appreciate your allegiance to sail, but not sure you've had a good introduction to trawlers. Many, many sailors migrate to trawlers or other power. Very, very few go the other direction. The misinformation amongst sailors about power is amusing. All good though.
Old 06-06-2023, 16:51   #14

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:

Just changing the oil was going to a quite a job.

My advice, therefore is, spend some time in the engine room and see yourself in there, servicing this, that or the other.

Pick a hot day to do so, being mindful that there is no a/c down there.
I was on a Fleming 58 recently, and...... it had aircon in the engine room. But still in a boat of that size with two 800 HP diesels, it would pay to go on weight reduction program if your weight is over 90 kg (190 lbs); that is if you want to play with the gear there. However I guess that most owners, just use the 2 tools they know best: a phone and creditcard.
Old 06-06-2023, 16:58   #15
Marine Service Provider

True, the migrating shift to a trawler for a sailboater usually corresponds to advancing years....

I don't deny that trawlers have their appeal.

I have this tiny ....ok...maybe not so tiny.....fear as what do you do when both engines crap out when 100's or 1,000's of miles from shore??

For better or worse, a sailboat does have sails to bring you home.