Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2019, 13:24   #61

Re: Trailering express cruiser... what size?

I tow a Formula 29pc all over the place. It is about 12000 loaded. Its about 9ft wide, and I've never used a permit.
Ledfoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 13:30   #62

Here is a picture M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181027_145306.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	203902  
Ledfoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 11:29   #63

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Anyone know what kind of fine is generally imposed - if a boat and trailer is vastly over the width limitation? I know it varies by state - but any experiences? Not a direct comparison, but I once was involved in a case where a commercial trucker went through about 20 miles of MD, without a proper permit, and the fine was something like 7k. It was about 20 years ago. It was clearly a commercial trucking matter, and not a pleasure boat, but it still seemed quite high.

While I’m am a boater and my express cruiser is just a squeak under 14 feet wide, I wouldn’t think of trailering it. It weighs nearly 15k by itself let alone a big trailer.

You may be able to get away with these as most have full living quarters so qualify as an RV. Weight and length are the road issues. Weight is GVWR. Gross vehicle weight rating. The DMV will look at the tow vehicle rating and the trailer rating combined vs actual. Don’t be over on either. Then the tire rating must not be exceeded. The reason for Duallys Your DL May have restrictions, each state has rules.
Next all lights must work, then permits etc. safety equipment must be in place.

As for penalty....well plan on Gestapo type justice. A DL violation will usually get you parked until a suitable driver arrives, plus a health ticket. Over weight will also get you parked, another ticket. This might be more involved if the removal trailer makes the load too high. More permits etc a lot more $$$.

If the boat is used for competition and money changes hands you simply need a CDL with appropriate ratings.there is no getting around this. I deal with motor racers and horse people, they all are under the watchful eye nowadays.

Your best bet is to go to the DMV and just ask what you need to do first before you get stopped. Don’t forget to ask about weigh stations.

To really answer the question a pay and go ticket could be $1000 or more. Honestly don’t push your luck. A friend got stopped with out the required CDL and it was about $500 plus the delay while his dad came who had proper CDL TTo continue the trip.
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 21:43   #64

There's a big difference between sneaking around with a 9ft load vs a 14ft load.

Typical lanes are 11-12ft wide and standard legal width for a vehicle is typically 8.5ft.

While any officer can ticket a commercial vehicle, it's normally only a focus for specialty commercial vehicle officers.
- So at 9ft wide, your average officer is unlikely to notice you are 6" too wide and even the commercial patrols are unlikely to notice or want to deal with it as long as there is nothing obviously unsafe (not that either can't if they choose to).
- At 14ft wide, you will be encroaching on other lanes and it will be dead obvious that you are over width. Also at that width, many states require lead and/or chase vehicles. Some routes are off limits all together. The odds of a random officer pulling you over just went up astronomically.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 23:58   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
I trailer a Bayliner 3258 command bridge, The width is not a concern for me, the height is a small problem, I check first with a permit company for bridge clearances. The boat sits on a triaxle trailer and is balanced proper so the trailer carries the weight not the trailer tongue. Another small problem is the trailer frame scrapes on launchs if the angle is to steep. Years ago I met a gentleman who trailered a 28 ft Bayliner sailboat over the mountains, I ask him what he towed the boat with. He said a 6 cylinder 4 wheel dodge 1/2 ton. I said doesn't this drag the truck down. His answer was I know I cant do the speed limit going up mountains so I drive accordingly, watch the gauges and let people pass.Dont worry be happy!
Hello Hunky Dory. I also have a 1996 3258 and am preparing to have it trailered from Arizona to South Carolina. Question I'd like to ask is what is your height on the trailer? I believe mine is 14'0" on my triple axle trailer with the radar arch down and even the compass removed from the binnacle.
But, beyond that the compass binnacle is 14'0" and part of the molded fiberglass helm, so that's as far as I can go. It's causing my potential transport company to say I'm going to need overheight permits. Sounds like you too have a small problem with height. What do you measure your height at on the trailer? What does your permit company do for you? Who do you use? Many thanks for your insight! Rocky57
Rocky57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 10:25   #66

Boat: Byliner 3258

I measure from the pavement to top of windshield. The measurement has to be yours as different trailers and wheel sizes affect the measurement. When you get the exact measurement the permit company will pick your route avoiding bridges and other obstacles this is part of their duties . Sorry I can't give you anymore advise
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 10:29   #67

Boat: Byliner 3258

Sorry I didn't answer your question. I took a 2 X 4 with a 4Ft level and extended it out past the boat, then measured to the ground. I traveled in Canada. You can look up over dimensional companies on Google.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 10:37   #68

Many thanks for the prompt reply. It appears the consensus height is right at 14'0" on the trailer, which is what I measure as well. Appears this shouldn't cause significant issues with permitting or route deviation. Will run it down through a transport company. Thx
Rocky57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 02:57   #69

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I towed a 5th wheel for several years. I wanted to be no higher than 13.5' as that is the hight of a semi truck trailer. If a semi truck can go thru the tunnel so can I.

What is more troublesome is the last few miles to a boat ramp with lower hanging tree branches.

I would not use 14' as my max but I would use 13.5'.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 08:03   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky57 View Post
Many thanks for the prompt reply. It appears the consensus height is right at 14'0" on the trailer, which is what I measure as well. Appears this shouldn't cause significant issues with permitting or route deviation. Will run it down through a transport company. Thx
13.5ft is the limit before you move into oversize loads.

If you are pulling it personally, you might cheat and get away with it...most bridges and utilities are higher but it's on you if you hit something.
Any trucking company that deserves trust will tell you it's oversize and you have to pull the permits.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 09:22   #71

Boat: Voyager 26 MK2

I respectfully suggest that "What can I get away with?" Is that absolute WRONG question to be asking when operating a motor vehicle (especially while towing a load).

If you cause an accident, your liability for damage, injury, and death will quickly and efficiently be evaluated by law enforcement and plaintiff. If they find that you were illegally or unsafely operating your vehicle, you will be royally screwed. Your insurance might refuse to cover you, if your actions were illegal. You will end up paying through the nose, perhaps several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Incarceration is possible.

Be smart, not clever. Ask yourself, "Is this prudent?"
KGarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 09:35   #72

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agprice272 View Post
Was there equipment or parts you carried that you felt essential or for peace of mind?
For extended trip(s): Spare tire (or two), jack that can lift the trailer with the boat on it, lug wrench (duh), spare bulbs for lights, a wheel bearing and seal kit, hand tools needed to change wheel bearing and seal, a grease gun, paper towels/rags and hand cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agprice272 View Post
any of you towed a boat with a beam over 8’ 6”? Did you feel you needed permits?
We have a Watkins 27 (27' x 10' wide) on a trailer so needs to be permitted. I reside in Wisconsin and can get my permits online. If you have to transit multiple states, there are permit services that can get them for you. Some people thumb their nose at getting permits, but to me it is worth the piece of mind to know I am legal. Getting permitted is a lot cheaper and far less hassle than not being permitted and getting caught. In WI they will have the vehicle towed, at your expense, fine you, and then you still have to get the permit.
Old 25-03-2022, 09:43   #73

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I believe weigh stations only apply to commercial traffic.
Depends on the state. In WI it's based on weight (CGVW of 10,000 lbs or higher).
Old 27-03-2022, 20:47   #74

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I think most trailerable cabin cruisers will weigh around 7,000lbs with a 2,500lb trailer. That is a total weight of close to 10,000lbs.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, express cruiser, size, trailer