Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 07:19   #31

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat
Re: Trailering express cruiser... what size?

I owned a swing keel Catalina 25 for 18 years and trailered her lots of places. We customized the interior a bit and she'd sleep our family of four with no issues. We slept athwartships in the cabin and kids had the V. Our trailer was a rollered EZ loader so ramp launching was possible, but we always had it lifted in and out of salt water. I've also trailered a Yankee 30' on a triple axle trailer (9' wide, so overwidth by 3" on each side, but that was nearly 10' up there, so we only got 1 permit..for unfamiliar roads). It was nervewracking to tow a boat that large, imho, but we never had any serious problems, though trailer had electric brakes...ONLY could sling the boat on an off. I now am back down to an Albin 7.9 meter (26' with fin keel that draws 4'7". We use a sling to load it on the trailer and unload, but it allows us to get our boat from Portland, Oregon a few hundred miles to the San Juans and Gulf Islands without an ocean trip. First consideration is: do you need to RAMP launch, or can you use slings? Second...can you STOP the dang thing? Brakes are a huge factor! I tow with an older Ford F-250 7.3 diesel and like it.... I concur with those who say, "Don't tow in Overdrive"! Keep speed down some anyway (60 max) with a big load...; Everything is a compromise.....!
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsailor View Post
I’m sure he had to pass an occasional weigh station. If I asked how he handled that I’ve forgotten the answer.

Only s 22.3’ Starwind, but this is how I’ve towed.
In most states, weigh stations are only for commercial vehicles. Private vehicles are generally exempt.

Also, double towing in most states, requires the first vehicle to be a 5th wheel style (some don't allow it at all and 1 or 2 allow bumper pull trailers as the first trailer)...of course unless the officer decides it looks dangerous, not many focus on enforcement.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:25   #33

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Look into a Pogo. I researched one for a client a few years back. If you are serious about the Express part. They are fast, but comfortable.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:42   #34

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

On the subject of trailering boats, where do you leave your rig when you get to the launching spot? I plan to tow my Rob Roy 23 to Panama City from Upstate NY this spring, and will be leaving the truck and trailer somewhere safe and, I hope, not too pricey while cruising for a couple of weeks.

What experience do people have with finding good medium term parking?
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:52   #35

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Jack 32 View Post
On the subject of trailering boats, where do you leave your rig when you get to the launching spot? I plan to tow my Rob Roy 23 to Panama City from Upstate NY this spring, and will be leaving the truck and trailer somewhere safe and, I hope, not too pricey while cruising for a couple of weeks.

What experience do people have with finding good medium term parking?
Just find a Self Storage facility,many have monthly outdoor storage parking for boats and RV. In Florida, trailer boaters heading to the Bahamas use the ramps on US 1 in Riviera Beach, then drive a short distance west to a Public Storage facility to park their truck & trailer, then Uber or City bus back to the ramp. You can do the same thing in most cities.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:19   #36

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsailor View Post
I can’t recommend this, but a few years back a couple followed us into a campground in Iowa for the night. With a Ford F-250, he was towing a 40’ sailboat, about 11’ beam. Went to talk to him, he was reluctant to talk until he was assured I was just another curious boater.

Turns out he goes from a Colorado mountain lake once a year to join a regatta in the Atlantic. Hauls it himself, done it for years. Has flashing lights, oversized banners, his wife is the chase car with the appropriate signs/lights. Stops before dark. All sounds appropriate. What didn't he have? Permits. Said he’d never gotten one, has never been hassled. Seems like he said he got stopped once, but cop was satisfied he was safe, let him continue.

I’m sure he had to pass an occasional weigh station. If I asked how he handled that I’ve forgotten the answer.

Only a 22.3’ Starwind, but this is how I’ve towed.
Our boat is just under 35' LOA and we tow it. I sure am curious what that guy had for a boat? Do you remember?
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:35   #37

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

Very helpful. Thanks, all. I'm in Tajikistan and far from navigable water at the moment, and it's good fun thinking through all these boating logistics.
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:04   #38

Boat: Freedom 38

We’ve been intrigued by people trailer cruising the small tugs (I believe we have encountered American Tug 25 and Nordic Tug 26). i know they are a bit pricey - but seem to provide good living space & quality construction in a trailerable package.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:37   #39
sdj
cruiser

Boat: Ganley Pacemaker 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agprice272 View Post
We have a 2500 series w/ 6.7 L turbo diesel truck to do the towing.
That's ample, but how much experience do you have towing? This is not an insignificant combination and this could be a lot of work and stress if you are not up to the task.
sdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:47   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agprice272 View Post
My wife and I are planning to buy a cruiser in the 27-ish range, and we are hoping to be able to trailer it to other destinations, as we live in Upstate New York and would like to vacation in warmer places. We are wondering what others’ experiences are, what size boat people trailer, how far...
We have a 2500 series w/ 6.7 L turbo diesel truck to do the towing.
Does anyone pull a 27’, 28’, or 29’ for several days distance to use on vacation?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew,

From your description, I am guessing we have the same power train as you. Our towing experience is nationwide with a 12000 enclosed dual axle trailer with electric brakes. This combo was pretty much trouble free but here are some suggestion

1. Keep your spare chained or somehow locked to to your trailer.
2. When buying tires, buy the size that is "trailer" rated. They make the same size for a truck but for some reason do not workout as well and I had trouble with flat tires. Never had any problem with the "trailer rated". Be advised, a lot of tire shops don't carry the trailer rated in stock and they will try and sell you the truck tire. Caveat Emptor
3. If you don't have them get them, called "Bearing Buddy". They sure make wheel bearing maintenance a whole lot easier because you don't have to remove the bearings. This could come in handy for you as with all the in n out of the water will require more maintenance.
4. Either buy or build a set of wheel ramps. I built mine, but you can get them at most auto supply stores some of the big box stores. When you need to change a tire, one of these ramps comes in handy if you have a dual axle trailer. If the forward tire needs to be changed, put the ramp against the rear tire and back the trailer up. This will raise the front tire. Do the reverse for a rear wheel flat. It sure beats using a floor jack.

5. Get yourself a floor jack because you never know when you will need it. We got the two ton aluminum unit from Sears and carried it in out trailer, but you can bolt/chain yours to the trailer frame or the pickup bed. This jack will come in handy as the jack supplied with your truck is going to prove pretty useless.
6. Someone mentioned on another post to get an equalizer hitch, good idea along with air bags in the rear springs.

7. As far as tools go, get an extra long cheater bar and impact wrench rated socket for your lug nuts. For some reason, the lug nuts on trucks and trailers are tighter than a passenger car.

8. Use LED lighting for the trailer. They seem to last longer.

9. You mentioned your concern with overall width. A friend of ours tows his 28' Sea Ray with the same 2500 power train as you. His towing width is over 8' and has never been stopped by "the man". However, that being said, each state has different trailer laws and their interpretation is left up to the local officer. Keep your total weight (vehicle and trailer loaded) below 26000 lbs or you will need a CDL and a whole new set of laws. Of course being from NY and you pass muster with law enforcement, you should be good to go to go. Outside of CA, NY has some of the most stringent trailering laws in the US.

Happy trails

Castman
castman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:47   #41

Boat: 1970 Pearson 33-1

I have a 70s Balboa 26 (swing keel) on a dual trailer that I intend to do that with. I live in Maine and plan eventually on spending a summer hauling/sailing northeastern Canada. She displaces 3600 and with gear and the trailer it's probably about a 5KLB load at least. Swing keel boats aren't as roomy inside as other shallow drafters but the B26 will launch in very skinny water. I will be hauling with a 2500 and sleeping in the boat. Funny thing is that the original 70s brochure actually claimed that as a marketing point!

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/balboa-26

Mike in Maine
MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:54   #42

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

I trailered a Precision 28 to the FL coast several times for cruises to the Bahamas. The tow vehicle was a Dodge 1500 pickup. The Precision is fairly light for a 28' boat at 5500 lbs dry weight. I never had any trouble pulling or maneuvering it. Beam was a problem at 10' which I understand requires a permit, and if you obtain a permit, prohibits towing on the weekends. I may be incorrect on this point. Do your own homework. I wouldn't trail the boat for less than a two week trip. Preparing to tow the boat is an all day affair, as is launching and rigging. You either need a crane for the mast, or three strong men to help you step/un-step the mast. Perhaps a rig could be made that would make the operation easier, but I was always very concerned with tearing out the mast step when stepping without the use of a crane. On the plus side once the boat was back together we had a very comfortable boat for our trips. If I was looking a doing shorter trips I think I'd probably seriously consider a 25' for just one or two people. If you would like to discuss further you can call me at 256 468 1002.
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:59   #43

Boat: 1998 Sea Ray 270 Sundancer

We have a Sea Ray Sundancer 270...with swim platform it’s 28’. We’ve trailered it numerous times first with a Ford F-150 then a Ford Expedition with towing package. No problems. When gas tank is full it’s around 10,000 lbs.
Bluelesa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:01   #44

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

Swing keel boats have some advantages, certainly, for making a sailboat 'trailerable', but I was always a bit nervous about what salt water was doing to my keel, the stainless cable that held it, and the pin/swinging mechanism. If I was going to keep a boat in saltwater all the time, I think I'd opt NOT to have a swinger.....unless it was very well and regularly maintained and checked often.....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:05   #45

Boat: 1970 Pearson 33-1

re: masts, my B26 has a tabernacle that the mast hinges on. I built a gin-pole triangle, from the mast of a smaller sailboat, that is semi-permanently mounted on the foredeck and use the trailer winch to raise and the lower the mast. However, it's really easy to bend a turnbuckle when they get stuck as I raising the mast.... have to be more careful. It takes me about an hour to launch her or retrieve her for travel.

Mike in Maine
MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, express cruiser, size, trailer