Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 22:18   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: The Dilemma

Ship the boat by freighter to the west coast and live aboard. A boat that size is much cheaper to ship by sea. You'll save a TON compared to an apartment on the west coast. There are shipping companies that specialize in yard to yard shipping and they handle the haul-out and shipping turn key. Expect it to cost about $10K to $15K to ship. My 38' boat was shipped by sea from South Carolina to San Diego.

It only takes a few weeks to ship by sea, and any yacht broker who sells production boats like Beneteaus will know who to put you in touch with.

Good luck!
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 22:40   #17

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

GG-I echo the last post. Check out shipping. You can contact Peters & May (Google them), they ship yachts all over the world. We had one, 58', shipped from Miami to Vancouver, cost around $60K. The only catch is if you leave from a US port, you have to unload in a foreign port. On the West Cost, that means unloading either at Ensenada, Mexico or Vancouver, Canada. SailorChic's suggestion of living aboard in CA is a good one.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 21:51   #18

GG
Do your due diligence on this potential move. Leaving the boat relatively untended for long periods of time is not a good option. Shipping by sea is realistic. You will be paying slip fees around $15 - $20/ft. + utilities in California. Also counties in the Golden State will extract a personal property tax on the boat's value of 1%+/year, Live-aboard friendly marinas will need to be located. You will also need to look into school systems for your children including transport to/from the marina if you live aboard.
Real estate markets are cyclical as you know. I suggest if this is the job opportunity you really want - relocate to California, get settled and then bring the boat out. Alternatively as was suggested, list it at an upper-end price and see if it sells. There are lots of boats in California which you might like better.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Molly Brown
Surf City, USA
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 04:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
What size boat is it?

BTW - You have done an amazing job with that boat!! I'd love to see more pictures!

Thank you very much!!! I will post some more pics on the blog very soon, now that everything is finally done I'm really happy with the way it turned out.
The boat is 63'.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-04-2015, 04:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
GG
Do your due diligence on this potential move. Leaving the boat relatively untended for long periods of time is not a good option. Shipping by sea is realistic. You will be paying slip fees around $15 - $20/ft. + utilities in California. Also counties in the Golden State will extract a personal property tax on the boat's value of 1%+/year, Live-aboard friendly marinas will need to be located. You will also need to look into school systems for your children including transport to/from the marina if you live aboard.
Real estate markets are cyclical as you know. I suggest if this is the job opportunity you really want - relocate to California, get settled and then bring the boat out. Alternatively as was suggested, list it at an upper-end price and see if it sells. There are lots of boats in California which you might like better.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Molly Brown
Surf City, USA

That's just what I've been working on Molly, trying to sort out if it's even feasible to live aboard and schools and the reality of it all. Your right. There are some great boats on the west coast. Plenty of trawlers.

Old 23-04-2015, 04:59   #21

Thanks everyone for helpful input and suggestions. I've been researching a bunch of stuff and I've decided to bite the bullet and put my boat for sale. It's the most practical option. I have vested way to much time and money into this boat, plus its a gorgeous boat, at least someone will enjoy it. It would be stupid for me to let the boat sit unattended and too risky. I can always buy another boat on the west coast. I'm heading to Southern California. I wouldn't be able to liveaboard because of the school situation, so I'll pick up something for weekends and school vacations. I guess my silver lining is at least I'll be able to run the next boat all year instead of being trapped in a plastic bubble half the time . I'm really excited about the move. I've always wanted to relocate to cali, so this is the perfect excuse. I've been out to visit and the place is absolutely amazing. My kids are excited as well. I guess this will be the beginning of the next adventure. I've already been peeking at Yachtworld

Old 23-04-2015, 05:02   #22

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Following GG's blog and posts here, one thing I know for SURE, she will do her due diligence.

GG, a really impressive job you've done in locating your Hatteras, the refit and all that it has entailed. I'm sure you will leave no stone unturned on getting this decision right, and best for your family. The very best to you in all your endeavors...

Bob
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 06:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
Following GG's blog and posts here, one thing I know for SURE, she will do her due diligence.

GG, a really impressive job you've done in locating your Hatteras, the refit and all that it has entailed. I'm sure you will leave no stone unturned on getting this decision right, and best for your family. The very best to you in all your endeavors...

Bob

Bob,
Thank you very much. I appreciate the kind works and encouragement.

Old 23-04-2015, 06:35   #24

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bob 350 View Post
For goodness sake, take her with you! Sailing is great in CA!

I hauled my 2006 Catalina 350 from Annapolis to San Diego, and 3 years later back-hauled her from SD to Boston. Paid $12K for the truck out and 8K back east, plus about $4K in yard fees each trip. I'd have lost far more selling 2 boats and buying 2 more. And there was NO WAY I was gonna be boatless in CA!

Besides, when I ditched my $2K/mo apartment in CA and moved aboard for 2 years, I got the $28G's back!

I LOVE IT when a plan comes together! ))

You put all this work into her.

Ship it and live on it. It will pay you back big time.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote