Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 09:49   #1

The Carri-Craft History - the real story

After having seen a few models up-close, I am confident that IF we can find a Carri-Craft in proper condition (for it's age), we will own one.

With that in mind, I started doing some research on the craft. I have begun a blog on my progress called the Carri-Craft Cruiser's Forum. I have since changed the name to Carri-Craft Cruiser's Blog since it wasn't in forum format.

I am happy to say, that I actually interviewed the original inventor of the Carri-Craft concept; Mr. Richard Brooks. Very interesting history, and what fun to actually speak with the inventor of such a unique live-aboard such as the Carri-Craft! Granted, these are by no stretch of the imagination a blue-water cruiser, but they would surely make an outstanding moving "second home" where it's a heckofalot warmer than MICHIGAN in the winter! And, I have to think that they would prove themselves just fine on the ICW (where many of us end up anyway)!

Mr. Brooks was almost as excited as I was about my call, and is sending me a large box of "Carri-Craft history" that I am very eager to study. You just never know: maybe this could lead to the reincarnation of the Carri-Craft updated for the 21st century!

Stay tuned

Ray K.
Kleenax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:43   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: The Carri-Craft History - the real story

This post and your blog assume we know what the thing is. What is so special about it?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 16:51   #3

Hmmm;

Well, the "thing" is a specific type of vessel that I am interested in (and possibly others) owning.

I frequently use forums to research items of interest, so when I became interested in knowing more about Carri-Craft cruising vessels, I started searching for information. When I found very little information, I decided to create an information blog of my own. I was hoping that others with knowledge of the Carri-Craft brand would enjoy coming forth and sharing. I never even considered the possibility of someone responding with "what the thing is". Failing a quicker answer, just Google, "Carri-Craft" and you will see what the thing is.

By the way, what is "Switch 51", and why is it of interest to you?
Old 21-05-2013, 17:07   #4

Boat: PT-11

I didn't mean to offend but I thought in your excitement you may have forgotten to state what it is. I know about a lot of boats but never heard of this one.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

There were actually 3 of them at one time on my pier here in Key West! There are still two in the Marina... very cool boats!
Old 21-05-2013, 18:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I didn't mean to offend but I thought in your excitement you may have forgotten to state what it is. I know about a lot of boats but never heard of this one.
Thanks for the reply. I had never heard of one either until fairly recently, hence my research/digging. I was actually going to tackle building a cruising cat at one time, but time & obligations of life got away with me, and that went away.

Capngeo: any chance you can get some info on the 2 Carri-Crafts still there?
Old 23-05-2013, 13:59   #7

I looked at these a long while back. My take was a houseboat that could handle slightly rougher conditions.

Assuming decent condition, should make a nice ICW or Looper boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 14:13   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 50

There has been one anchored in St. Augustine, FL in the same spot for years just north of the bridge of Lions. I am not sure if it is abandoned or not, and I don't know where you are located, but it might be of interest....
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 14:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
There has been one anchored in St. Augustine, FL in the same spot for years just north of the bridge of Lions. I am not sure if it is abandoned or not, and I don't know where you are located, but it might be of interest....
Well beans;

I was in St. Augustine in January, and didn't notice it! Thanks for the info. By the way, I am in Michigan for awhile yet. We usually get down around Ponce Inlet around Thanksgiving/Christmas time.
Old 23-05-2013, 14:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
Geez;

I just went on Google-Earth, and you can see it just north of Lions Bridge! It seems to be moored out just off the main channel. I do believe that is the Carri-Craft named "White Feather".
Old 17-08-2013, 07:43   #11

I have a Carri Craft project in work. 1968 45' put new engines (327 mercruiser ) , trans (Velvet drive) and will install new V-drives next spring. boat is located on lake Michigan boats name is COOL CAT
Michael rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 07:58   #12

Boat: Owens
Very cool Michael. :thumb;

I read this thread a while back, wonder what ever became of kleenax's information gathering project? I would love to find a blog or thread of someone refitting one of these old Carri's. They really have quite a history and enjoyed quite a cult following that few other unique boats this size have.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 16:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Very cool Michael. :thumb;

I read this thread a while back, wonder what ever became of kleenax's information gathering project?
Sorry for the delay; I just published a post to the blog. If you are an email subscriber, you will get an email note.

In a nutshell, lots (non-boatwise) going on. Back surgery, self-employment business, bla-bla.

I promise to get busy on the Carri-Craft blog ASAP! I have a really cool loose-leaf binder of info that Dick Brooks (inventor of the Carri-Craft line) sent to me. He is in his 80's, and has shared with me his dementia is catching up with him I am sorry to say. Great conversation I must say!

More to come (on the blog and here).
Old 30-05-2014, 21:40   #14

I've noticed no ones posted in a while.... Is this forum still active? I have a carri craft relabeled scottie craft. Any info out there? The date on it is 1983. Was a DEA seizure.
crcarter37404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 21:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcarter37404 View Post
I've noticed no ones posted in a while.... Is this forum still active? I have a carri craft relabeled scottie craft. Any info out there? The date on it is 1983. Was a DEA seizure.
Long live Rosencrantz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0050.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	82124   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0049.jpg
Views:	1560
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	82125  

crcarter37404 is offline   Reply With Quote