Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 02:47   #1

Boat: Fourwinns V338
Takacat Lite 340 Inflatable Multi-hull boat / Unboxing and Review

Good day Everyone,

I recently acquired a Tacakat Lite 340 (3.4 meter) inflatable boat as a tender/portable fishing vessel. Since I do not see a proper review anywhere online and the knowledge I have acquired from this amazing forum is priceless...I figured it's time to pay it forward and do a proper review to help others.

SITUATION:
I was looking at getting a small tender for a 33 footer Fourwinns sport cruiser which I take around Sydney harbour and surrounds. My requirements are that it has to be foldable/storable at the back of my car, and in my garage shelf as driving around a trailer for a tender does not really sound appealing to me.

I initially bought a Mercury Airdeck 2.7m for this purpose, but I sold it after a few months due to the following reason; It is not ideal to tow behind a cruiser going 7-10 knots since the wake behind the boat is enough to flip it around like a pancake and fill it up with water in no time. If cruising at 5-6knots, its not a problem; However, due to certain weather conditions here in Oz, it is not always safe to go slow and in some instances, you need to actually keep the bow up at about 10knots or so, to tackle certain swells. Having said that, towing an inflatable that scoops in water is not the best idea.

Here is where the Takacat comes in. Mind you, I have heard of them before through a friend who owns one but their older design, which was a closed transom and open bow design, looked more like a floating "bailing bucket" so I did not consider it. Their new design however, is an open transom, open bow. This basically changed my perspective about it so I went ahead and ordered one.

ORDERING and UNBOXING:
To be honest, I was quite impressed with how they handled my inquiry and purchase. I emailed them, inquiring about the boat and the next day, got a reply from Greg, the owner of the company himself. He was very patient at answering all my queries. A few weeks later, I finalized my order so was referred to their Australian distributor, paid for it, 3 days later...I got a delivery from Santa.

I received 3 boxes in total. The tubes are on box 1; box 2 contains the airdeck, accessories and transom parts, box 3 contains the optional wheels and rod holders.
The accessories box include the following:
1. Pressure gauge (Generic)
2. Repair kit (Generic)
3. Spare Halkey-Roberts valve (Generic)
4. Foot Pump
5. Two Carry bags
6. Winged Nuts and bolts for the transom
7. Transom and a wood chuck
8. Oars
9. Two inflatable seats

Halkey-Roberts valve and pressure gauge are generic, unbranded ones, so quality remains to be seen. It seems to be the same as the ones installed and as of this writing, it has been faultless.The pressure gauge I got was off by .7-1 psi so I do not use it anymore(I already have a better one). I've used this type of repair kit before and I actually find it decent. To be honest, I can't really complain since I did not have any of those when I purchased the Mercury airdeck (apart from the repair patch kit)

The foot pump looks well built, but I don't really use it since I got an electric one.
My kit included 6 winged nuts and washers total. You only need 4, so the rest are spares.

The carry bags are made of durable material, but the zippers are not of the best quality so you have to take care when pulling it (I already broke one handle).
I also got the optional wheels and rod holders and these are actually of good quality. The pins on the wheels are well made and rigid so I don't think it will break anytime soon. The welded areas seemed good, according to my brother in law who is a welder.
The oars are decent; light but sturdy at the same time. Only downside is they don't float (they do at first, but after a minute or so, they start to sink).
The inflatable seats are good when packing since they don't occupy a lot of space in the bag. However, you can not utilize the space under for storage, making me miss the underseat storage bag of my Mercury. However, I recently sourced out an ice box that fit perfectly in the boat so that doubles as a seat now so I don't use the inflatable ones. I will probably cut it and use as a patch someday since they are the same material as the tubes.

One thing I was actually hoping to get but didn't, an Owner's Manual. One of my pleasures when buying new toys is spending an hour or two reading the manual. I felt a bit sad because I was not given this opportunity. LOL!
Having said that, everything is self-explanatory and easy to understand so you can figure how to assemble it eventually.

TUBES, AIRDECK and TRANSOM
The tubes are well made, and of good quality. They are glued together, not like the mercury thermo welded ones. They have been glued well, and with quality two part glue. I tried to peel off a portion but couldn't do it by hand. They are stuck together well. IMHO, I prefer the glued ones than the thermo welded ones since they are easier to repair. Just stick them together when the glue comes undone.Normally with the thermo welded ones, they tear on the seams so you need to cut a custom size patch to fix it.
The important joints (transom holder, front flooring, etc.) have been reinforced with another layer or two of PVC fabric so they are durable.
It has lots of grab handles around, which at first I thought was overkill, but after using the boat with a decent sized motor, I then realized their purpose.
The oar locks are the standard screw-in type you commonly see on other inflatable boats. Again, making me miss the quick-detach one my Mercury.
On plane, the sponsons seemed to flex a bit at first. But I realized that there are some D-rings around the boat that you actually need to tie a rope or chain to make it more rigid. Once I did that, it does not flex as much anymore. The design of the Takacat itself is modular. You can separate the airdeck to the tubes and transom. This is good in a sense that if you break one, you don't have to purchase a new boat! (or have a transom fabricated if you break one)

The AIRDECK is firm and thick. It is very rigid too. I think they are 140-150% thicker than the Mercury. The top is covered with EVA rubber, which in my opinion, is a fantastic idea. You don't have to worry hauling in bony fish when fishing. This to me, would probably be one of the best airdecks I have seen.

The transom is made of plywood, and is coated with marine paint. The quality of the transom itself is a bit poor. I find it a little soft, and not really meant to last long. The holes where the screw goes through is starting to fray now. The wood is light, similar to some goods you see from china. Don't get me wrong, it does the job. For how long, that remains to be seen. The good thing with the Takacat is, you can actually remove/replace the transom with ease. I plan to replace it with a slightly thicker marine plywood once it starts to show signs of deterioration.

MOTOR and PROPELLERS
I tried the Takacat with 3 motors, to find the best combination for it.

Mercury 3.5 HP
My friend who owns one,a closed transom design one, with a Yamaha 3.5HP fitted to it. When I tried it out, it was able to plane easy with one up. When I tried my Mercury 3.5HP 2 stroke on the boat, I was having problems with the prop ventilating. It would not even go on plane. After some analysis, I found out that my propeller was plastic and the yamaha has aluminum props, which the blades are wider with a little bit less pitch. Problem is, Mercury/Tohatsu don't have aluminum props for the 3.5HP. It's either I have one custom made, or ditch the motor and get a new one.
I decided to go with the latter.
If you plan to install a small outboard, make sure the prop has lots of surface area, and is pitched proper for the boat, to minimise propeller ventilation.

Mercury 5HP
I then tried out a Mercury 2-troke 5HP outboard. It would plane no problem with 2 people up, which is heaps better than my Mercury airdeck. With the stock 8 inch prop, it would plane easy with 25 stone on board, without the need for weight distribution. Anything over that, then it would start to cavitate/ventilate so proper weight distribution is needed. With proper balance, it can plane at 11 knots, with 30 stone on board.
This in my opinion, is amazing. My Mercury would not even plane with 25 stone on board, on the same motor. It would try to, but not quite get there.
Top speed with one up of the Takacat on this motor is 12.5 knots.

On a side note, since prop is not cupped, you have to ease in the throttle since punching it would just cause it to cavitate/ventilate. I think with a properly cupped propeller, it can carry a bit more. I haven't done this yet so I can not guarantee.

Tohatsu 9.8HP
Next up is a Tohee 9.8HP which I purchased specifically for this boat.
With the stock 8.3 pitch prop, it had a top speed of 17 knots... with 5600 RPM on the Tiny tach. It would however, cavitate/ventilate like crazy...getting on and during plane. I tried different motor height and trim combinations and could not remedy it. I did a bit of research and found out it is one of the quirks of a tunnel hull design boat.
I had my propeller cupped and it eliminated 90 of ventilation but RPM's went down to 4600, below specs. I then ordered a 7 inch prop from Solas and had it properly cupped prior to delivery. The difference was night and day. It completely eliminated the ventilation, even when on turns. I even tried trimming out the motor to the extreme, lifting the bow up while planing but it would still not ventilate.
Top speed now is 15.5-16 knots, sitting at around 5,600 RPM. From a stand still, it would jump on plane almost instantly...and would reach top speed in about 5 seconds. Max I carried was 4 people (around 50 stones) and it would still plane at 12 knots with proper weight distribution, though it would start to ventilate a bit getting on plane.

When I put in the figures on the Mercury Propeller slip calculator, it shows up as me having between 6-9% prop slip(even prior to having the propellers cupped). That is very efficient for an inflatable.

On the Takacat website, they recommend to have your propeller cupped. In my opinion, it is a must if you want good performance from the boat. Downside of cupping is, you lose a lot of RPM by doing so, especially on a small motor. My 9.8HP lost about 1k RPM. (The 100-200RPM only applies to larger props). The solution for it would be to purchase a prop that is pitched 1 inch less, then have it cupped; thus giving you the same amount of pitch(when cupping a prop, your pitch increases to about an inch more).

Video of the acceleration and test run
https://youtu.be/FK-vgRYUY6w

https://youtu.be/rogmSawHebI

STABILITY, RIDE, HANDLING and TRACKING
The first impression you get when you get on the boat is that it is very stable. You can literally stand on one of the ponson and not feel that the boat is going to capsize. Same as moving your weight at the bow or stern. This is ideal if you plan on using it to fish since you can freely move around and not worry about the boat tipping over. The same can be said when vessel is underway. When my 5 year old son rides with me, I would tie a rope to both ends of the sponson and he would stand up, holding the rope then ride the boat like a stand up jet ski...provided I only go straight.

See video below.
https://youtu.be/ErbosfCRG9E

The design of the boat is unique in its own way. In my opinion, it is not a true catamaran(both hulls supporting the boat at all times). When at rest or going displacement speed, it acts more like a flat bottom boat. About 70% of the airdeck contacts the water, making it stable. It may also be the reason why it planes easier than other inflatables. Once you start planing,you feel the airdeck detach from the surface of the water(you can feel it more when you are sitting on the floor). It then becomes Twin-hull boat, with the sponsons supporting the entire boat (you feel the airdeck is suspended a bit). For me, the ride definitely becomes smoother.

Handling is more sensitive. It may seem squirrely at first, but once you get used to it, it is actually more precise than a normal inflatable. I can cruise by at WOT as close as half a foot to any floating object (preferrably not a bouy) intentionally with much ease. The boat tracks really good too, with close to zero wandering...even on strong winds.
The big difference with the Twin hull and the mono inflatable is when turning. On my Mercury, turning is similar to a motorbike. It tilts to the direction you are turning, curving towards the intended direction. With the Takacat, it turns more like a car. The boat is kept level,turning "squarely", so you feel the inertia sideways. Let's put it this way...When I'm at WOT then I turn sharply and not tell my passengers, chances are one is gonna end up wet, hence why I now understand why they is an abundance of grab handles around. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your case. But if you are aware the boat acts this way and you shift your weight while turning, then it shouldn't be a problem; plus makes for a very agile boat.(good for quickly veering away from hazzards and obstacles floating around.

Ride on choppy waters is pretty good as well. It can be smooth or rough, depending on your speed. When I jump decent sized boat wakes, the Takacat seemed to prefer it around 13 knots or so. When I land, I feel like there is an air cushion underneath. Going faster, makes it a bit more bumpy, but more fun! Waves coming from the sides makes it wander a bit, but I think that is normal on any inflatable. I haven't experienced coastal waves with it yet but I think it can handle it no problems. Also, I wouldn't be worried about taking in water due to the open transom design.

WATER OVER TRANSOM
One problem I encountered is water splashing over the transom at high speeds. What actually happens is; water hits the leg of the motor, sprays it upwards and sideways, then it hits the motor, wheels and sponnson; spraying water over the transom.It's not that bad on the 5HP, but was really noticeable on the 9.8HP.
Basically on a mono-hull, you position the motor in a way that the cavitation plate sits close to level to the hull bottom. When underway, the boat pushes the water down and to the side; thus channeling the water straight down to the propeller area. On a twin-hull, there is no hull bottom in front of the outboard. So basically, the leg is not shielded by anything, hence it is prone to any water in front of it. Also, the cavitation plate is submerged more, even on plane. I have my engine raised 35mm now and still can't see the cavitation plate surface when on plane. Raising it more would require modifications to the transom. Also, due to the twin hull design; when planing, both hulls channel more water under the boat. This only adds to the problem.

So why is the 9.8HP more prone to it? When I compared the two, I noticed that the leg on the 5HP is closer to the transom than the 9.8HP (due to a pivot mount attached to it). What I did was make a deflector out of pvc and attached it at the bottom of the transom. This then deflects most water going to the leg, eliminating 95% of the spray. I haven't modified it yet but I know with some tweaks, I can elinimate all the spray.
See photos below of what I mean:

HYDROFOILS
I installed both the SE Sport 200 and a Permatrim to the 9.8HP. I prefer the Permatrim being more rigid and streamlined. It helped with planing a bit when loaded, but affects the top speed a bit. I'm planning to remove mine and just do without it. I'll update you on this.

To end this long monologue, I am very happy with the boat. I am quite impressed how efficient, stable and agile it is. I feel more comfortable beaching this boat,due to the well padded sponson; two rubber strips under each sponson (My mercury have a rubber strip under the keel, but it rarely goes centered when inflating, so I am always paranoid when beaching it).
It's very easy to get in and out of, changing my wife's perception about inflatable tenders.
I have a feeling that the 9.8HP still doesn't do justice to it so I'm trying to ignore the itch I have in getting a 15HP for it.(Max rating for the boat)
However, one should not expect upon purchase that it is a "buy and cruise" type boat. It does need some tweaking and tuning; like a proper boat. IMHO, I would actually be disappointed if it didn't need it.

I can not fault their customer support either. I emailed them a few queries and technical problems (i.e. cavitation problems, motor height, etc.) and they were keen to assist straight away.

All up. I highly recommend it.
Guimaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 03:39   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Takacat Lite 340 Inflatable Multi-hull boat / Unboxing and Review

Ummm... wow! I'm not at all in the market for a Takacat or similar, but that's a great review! Thanks for posting!

A comment on the unappealing tender trailer thought...

As we were preparing to buy a larger (106-lb*) motor for our dinghy, I decided I can't (shouldn't) do the heavy lifting anymore. Bought a trailer. What an improvement! When it comes to our winter storage, it's simply a matter of moving the tender from mothership to the trailer at a nearby launch ramp, done. No individual lifting, no folding, no stuffing into the truck, no multiple trips... and so forth. Depends on having some place suitable to keep the trailer, though, sometimes with dinghy on board...

* Suzuki DF15A, EFI, electric start

-Chris
Old 15-06-2016, 04:22   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi, I dont want to sound to negative but I've had a Tackacat for 3 years and honestly cant give the same glowing review.
In fairness mine is used a great deal as I live aboard at least 2/3 of the year.
I purchased the Hypalon version which is more expensive. The original floor didn't last one year. The ring at the front you tow from completely ripped off after very little towing, the transom cant handle a 8 hp and flexs alot and is coming off and the black rubber around the outside marks my boat terribly. It also needs regular pumping up.

The pro's, when the transom was still strong it motors along very well, the new improved floor is very good. The tubes are a large diameter resulting in it being a reasonable dry dinghy. And the owner of the company seems like a nice guy, although I believe he could of replaced my floor free of charge as it certainly wasn't upto the job. He has supplied me with the new open transom kit (free) which will be fitted once I reach Phuket.

I like the dinghy design but Im not convinced its tough enough for full time cruising. I expect a good dinghy to last a decade I'm not sure this one will, considering buying another more durable brand. At the least I'll be upgrading the attachment points while getting the new transom glued on.

Mine is one of the earlier models and all products take time to evolve the new ones may be alot better, the new floor certainly is and the open transom seems like it will handle the 8hp better than the current transom, hope that's the case as I wish his business well.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 04:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ummm... wow! I'm not at all in the market for a Takacat or similar, but that's a great review! Thanks for posting!

A comment on the unappealing tender trailer thought...

As we were preparing to buy a larger (106-lb*) motor for our dinghy, I decided I can't (shouldn't) do the heavy lifting anymore. Bought a trailer. What an improvement! When it comes to our winter storage, it's simply a matter of moving the tender from mothership to the trailer at a nearby launch ramp, done. No individual lifting, no folding, no stuffing into the truck, no multiple trips... and so forth. Depends on having some place suitable to keep the trailer, though, sometimes with dinghy on board...

* Suzuki DF15A, EFI, electric start

-Chris
Thanks Chris,
I gathered a lot of info so I figured to just post it here, to not put it to waste.

Unfortunately for me, I have limited parking space at home...and the Marina the boat is berthed doesn't really have enough parking for car with trailers... So only option really is a fold up boat.
Old 15-06-2016, 04:40   #5

Fortunately, I don't experience any flexing on the transom on mine...probably due to it being stainless steel now. I had concerns before about how they fit the boat (and the thought that they might come off) but once I fully inflate it, it is snug in tight. I think you will like the new open transom design better once you have it installed.

Yes, it is true. The tubes are huge! It takes my pump 5 min longer to inflate it compared to the Mercury.
Old 17-07-2016, 07:23   #6

UPDATE:
I've spent about 50 hours riding the boat now and still liking it. I took it out 2 days ago at Sydney Harbour knowing the water was gonna be choppy to test it out(2m swell forecast). See video link below:
https://youtu.be/32mbdeMncWU

I was quite surprised how dry the ride was...considering there really is not a lot of freeboard. I was really impressed how it handled.The ride was bumpy, but not back breaking. It does flop more compared to a heavier boat, but the drop is not painful. I also trimmed the motor out a bit more, since I was initially concerned with getting water in at front.
It was very stable, for a boat its size; always stayed flat with not much side roll at all, lessening the effects of seasickness. Again, the open transom really gives me piece of mind by not worrying about getting water in. Unless the hull is breached really bad, I don't think this thing will sink. I would feel comfortable taking this out around coastal areas. I had a 3.7m tinny before and I would NEVER take it out on choppy waters like this...

WIND:
One weakness I noticed is getting strong winds head on. A month ago, I was cruising at around 14 knots or so, on an average day...about 10 knots head on wind. All of a sudden, this strong gust of wind rushed through. Next thing I know, the bow lifted suddenly. I was able to cut the throttle just in time to not flip the boat. After regaining my bearings, I trimmed in the motor fully, shifted most of the weight closer to the bow, then went ahead. There were a couple more strong gusts but I was able to got through it without problems.
Later that day, I checked the log of the nearest wind station and it registered about 48kph gusts. If that wind had anymore strength to it, I would've ended up in the drain. Another reason to always distribute the weight evenly, and cruise to the proper conditions.
Old 10-01-2017, 16:19   #7

Wow, you have an amzing comprehensive review of the Takacat. I found it fascinating to read. I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving me some advice? I have a Takacat 420 explorer with a 30HP Merc short leg. MAJOR issues with cavitation. Have tried a Yamaha long leg 25HP on it and it stops cavitating but makes the boat very wet with major splash off the back from the motor. Have tried all sorts of trim and pitch. Have a Sport plate on the Merc and, as recommended by Greg, the previous owner put a stainless steel plate on the bottom of the transum in the centre (template supplied by Greg) ... doesn't seem to help.

The prop is not cupped. Is it as simple as gettimg it cupped or do I need to consider other things. I'm not super knowledgable on this stuff but eager to learn. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Durk67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 19:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk67 View Post
Wow, you have an amzing comprehensive review of the Takacat. I found it fascinating to read. I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving me some advice? I have a Takacat 420 explorer with a 30HP Merc short leg. MAJOR issues with cavitation. Have tried a Yamaha long leg 25HP on it and it stops cavitating but makes the boat very wet with major splash off the back from the motor. Have tried all sorts of trim and pitch. Have a Sport plate on the Merc and, as recommended by Greg, the previous owner put a stainless steel plate on the bottom of the transum in the centre (template supplied by Greg) ... doesn't seem to help.

The prop is not cupped. Is it as simple as gettimg it cupped or do I need to consider other things. I'm not super knowledgable on this stuff but eager to learn. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hello Durk67,
I'm glad you liked the thread. I too struggled with cavitation/ventilation at the start. However, when I had the prop cupped, the difference was night and day. I was sceptic at first with cupping but I stumbled upon a thundercat forum and all the arrows pointed to my props needed to be cupped. Mind you, you have to purchase a different pitched prop if you plan to have it cupped. I bought one from Solas and they cupped it for me prior to delivery. It was professionally done as well. It has 1 inch less pitch than my original one, but due to the cupping, placed my RPM on the same range.
For me, cupping cured 80-90% of my cavitation problems.
To be honest, even If I didn't have the sport plate/hydrofoil, the cavitation would be manageable. The hydrofoil just fine-tuned it, allowing me to hang the outboard higher.

From what I learned, it is a flaw on the design of the catamaran when used with a single engine. The hulls create turbulence on the prop area, thus causing ventilation. It can be minimized with cupping, but doesn't fully cure it. Cupping just makes your prop grab more water, basically.

Also, another flaw would be transom splash. Since there is no hull to shield the water, it hits the outboard leg from different angles, causing the splashing. The stainless plate(or in my case, the PVC plate) shields some of the splashing, but they have to be positioned accurately. Meaning the leg should be as close as possible to it, without damaging it of course. I'm currently doing a mod now but is currently still in the designing stage. Basically its kind of a shroud that I mount on the leg itself. That way, I can trim the outboard and it would still be shielded.

Even with all these flaws, I would still prefer it over other boats. It's very stable, and can carry quite a load. I initially purchased it as a tender but I now converted it to a solo/double short range fishing vessel.

I hope I was able to help.
Old 12-01-2017, 20:02   #9

Smile Re: Takacat Lite 340 Inflatable Multi-hull boat / Unboxing and Review

Thanks very much. Lots of food for thought for me. Appreciate your generosity with knowledge.
Durk67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 22:41   #10

Hi,

Thanks very much for that very detailed description of your setup of the takacat. I have exactly the same boat, and have tried almost exactly the same 3 motors on it that you did. I will take your advice and get a smaller pitched prop and have it cupped. I was planning to get it cupped already but I wasn't aware about the change in RPM.

Mine too has become a wet boat when I changed to a bigger motor, although I am now very happy with the speed. I cannot see the photos of your deflector plate as these seem to have been removed. You mentioned that you were making a new shroud to help the water spray. Do you have any photos or other details of that? I too am generally very happy with mine, but want to get the fine-tuning sorted out.

Many Thanks.
Barry8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry8 View Post
Hi,

Thanks very much for that very detailed description of your setup of the takacat. I have exactly the same boat, and have tried almost exactly the same 3 motors on it that you did. I will take your advice and get a smaller pitched prop and have it cupped. I was planning to get it cupped already but I wasn't aware about the change in RPM.

Mine too has become a wet boat when I changed to a bigger motor, although I am now very happy with the speed. I cannot see the photos of your deflector plate as these seem to have been removed. You mentioned that you were making a new shroud to help the water spray. Do you have any photos or other details of that? I too am generally very happy with mine, but want to get the fine-tuning sorted out.

Many Thanks.
Sorry for the very late reply Barry,
I'm sure you made improvements on it by now but just for the benefit of others, here's a photo of the splash plate I made.

Old 16-10-2018, 18:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi, I dont want to sound to negative but I've had a Tackacat for 3 years and honestly cant give the same glowing review.
In fairness mine is used a great deal as I live aboard at least 2/3 of the year.
I purchased the Hypalon version which is more expensive. The original floor didn't last one year. The ring at the front you tow from completely ripped off after very little towing, the transom cant handle a 8 hp and flexs alot and is coming off and the black rubber around the outside marks my boat terribly. It also needs regular pumping up.

The pro's, when the transom was still strong it motors along very well, the new improved floor is very good. The tubes are a large diameter resulting in it being a reasonable dry dinghy. And the owner of the company seems like a nice guy, although I believe he could of replaced my floor free of charge as it certainly wasn't upto the job. He has supplied me with the new open transom kit (free) which will be fitted once I reach Phuket.

I like the dinghy design but Im not convinced its tough enough for full time cruising. I expect a good dinghy to last a decade I'm not sure this one will, considering buying another more durable brand. At the least I'll be upgrading the attachment points while getting the new transom glued on.

Mine is one of the earlier models and all products take time to evolve the new ones may be alot better, the new floor certainly is and the open transom seems like it will handle the 8hp better than the current transom, hope that's the case as I wish his business well.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We are a 40 ft. Sailing vessel who have been cruising around the world for 4 years, but we don't have davits and carry a hard row boat where an inflatable would usually go. My partner who is from NZ found takacat in the back of boating magazine and being larger, NZ company, and fully inflatable, we decided to buy one.

It has made our lives so much harder, and I don't think we would give it away if we tried.
The first season we tried to tow it behind us, downwind and it pulls the towing eyes out. We asked them for new patches, which we had to pay for, and they pulled off after gluing them.

Then we put a new towing system on using the hard transom and some pad eyes, and it flipped over.

After 6 months of use and proper storing, treatment with sumbrella chaps on it the day it came out of the box, the glue started coming apart. First on the middle, then on the left pontoon. Then the floor padding came off. We still haven't been able to properly fix the leak because a new one springs every time we fix another. So we have to pump it up every time we get in it and take he outboard off every night because it ends up in the water.

It's wet and non of our cruiser friends want to come on it. We got an OK from the company that we could out a 15 2 stroke on the back before we bought it and they said fine, but it's too much for it.

We expressed our disappointment and all we got back was that we could buy the same dinghy for the same price, and that we should have bought the hypalon. We did try but they don't have them on the shelves and have a long waiting period... plus we have friends that have gotten at least 5-10 out of the PVC dinghies. Due to our 6 month rotation on land and the boat, we only have used it for a total of a year and a half, but the problem started after 6 months. The sales person said that it didn't matter, that the dinghy is tenchincally 5 years old, because of when we bought it and the year it sat on the shelf before we purchased it.

I don't know what to do besides persuade people to just invest in a better product.

When we get to NZ I will be quite satisfied burning it.
Hadley.Eames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 00:02   #13

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Anyone watch Lucky Fish sailing blog on youtube? I'm pretty sure they use a Takakat.

I tell you...it is enough to keep old men late at night trying to figure out which bird to buy. I was pretty sure the Porta-bote was the ticket. Then I saw James, Sailing Zingaro youtube blog, and all the repairs he had to do on his...OMG...Is it him or the dingy....

I really am aghast at what i see. I can't imagine trying to handle a dingy with a 10 hp Tohatsu. I want my dingy to be hauled onto the ama nets and lashed in. A 10 foot porta bote weighs about 75-80 lbs. A 10 hp Tohatsu probably weighs close to that. i'm too freaking old to be hauling close to 200 hundred pounds up onto the ama with anchor, gas, paraphernalia, oars....

I want something tough and i thought Porta bote had that...but after watching James....i am left scratching the noggin....again.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:05   #14

Boat: Outremer 55L

We just got a TrueKit inflatable catamaran tender with the open bow - the Discovery model 3.3m long. We’ve seen Takacats around before and have been intrigued by the catamaran tender concept, but many of the Takacat owners were not very happy with the build quality of their boats. We saw TrueKit at the most recent Auckland boat show and really liked the red demo model they had there. We sold our three year old 2.9m aluminium-hulled RIB shortly after that and by buying a demo model (the only way to get red immediately) we got more for the RIB than we ended up paying for the TrueKit.

From a safety point of view, unlike our previous RIB, we can completely deflate and store this dinghy off our davits or deck for passages. As we will be heading to higher latitudes this was one of the factors for choosing a fully inflatable boat with no solid hull.

We’ve finished our first 2 weeks full time cruising with it and it has exceeded our expectations for stability, load carrying capacity, and easily planing even with three adults with our 2-stroke Tohatsu 9.8hp motor (our previous RIB barely planed with two adults). The open front makes getting in from the water very easy as you can literally slide into the dinghy. It also makes getting in and out on beaches simple, with no need to clamber over the tubes. The only time it comes close to scooping up water is when slowing down suddenly or going down large close-set waves - in the first case just slow down slowly and in the second case the solution is to keep the speed up and plane, or run at just below a plane with the bow high.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0798.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	180415

The side to side and front to back stability are incredible. You can stand on one corner or on one tube and it doesn’t tilt or rock at all. We had an elderly relative along with us and we were so thankful we had changed dinghies as it would have been so much more difficult for our relative to handle getting in and out of our previous RIB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	180416

The solid transom creates a bit more packing size but keeps the forward spray from the motor shaft from spraying into the boat. Our prop is fairly flat and does cavitate a bit when fully loaded, but once planing it’s not an issue.

New it’s 2999 NZD with 15% GST included, so a bit more than the equivalent Takacat model (340LX) but probably worth it for a better build quality (and welded seams), larger tubes and full width front (the Takacats all narrow and have smaller tubes up front), solid transom (Takacats have tube transom), and the Railblaza fittings for the oars are rock solid.

Longevity is the biggest unknown. We got a full cover for it for when we leave it on our davits but to get a set of chaps made would cost a third of the price of the boat so I’m not sure that’s worth it. A fully soft bottom means we do have to be much more careful with it than with the aluminium RIB - beach wheels are a must if you have a larger engine like ours (the engine weighs 2/3 the weight of the boat).

So far so good.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 14:24   #15

Boat: WorldCat 230 DC

Does TrueKit sell in the USA?
Vizsla_Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, inflatable