Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2020, 16:55   #46

Boat: None yet. Shopping.
Re: So I kind of have a plan and could really use some direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Bring a snow shovel along. When someone asks you what it is you have gone far enough south.
Sounds like a good plan. Lol. Thanks.
Campintoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 17:11   #47

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I do recommend that when you get to Cairo turn left and go up the Ohio River to then pick up the Tennessee River system. The TennTom waterway system is a much better route to take for small craft with a lot more of the type of facilities you are going to be looking for. Again, do a YouTube search for the TennTom waterway.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 18:24   #48

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you are going ultralight I'd look at say an 18' surf cat type of thing with crutches for stowing the mast and tenting over it. Light weight plywood floor over the trampoline, camping stove, etc. Small outboard on the back beam with handle extension and fold up chair.

You might enjoy it so much that you want to go back upstream or up another branch river and those things are much easier driven than pontoons and disassemble to smaller packages if you want to ship them by road.

I have seen pontoons with caravans mounted on them used in calm waters.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 19:36   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Well, this is the first time in my years on CF that someone has proposed something quite novel and unorthodox, and the entire thread of four pages has unanimously endorsed it, and with considerable enthusiasm!!!So, do I. Congratulations on coming up with this idea. Once upon a time, I was thinking of doing something similar on a Hobie, with a tent, but your idea is much better. Best wishes and understand that we will ALL be looking forward to hearing how it goes. Who knows, next time you might be leading a CF flotilla of pontoon boats!!!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 09:37   #50

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
So I kind of have a plan and could really use some direction.

As mentioned above watch out for barges. Get a hand held vhf radio that floats and learn how to contact and use the many locks and dams. You will need to contact the lock masters and how to safely navigate the locks.
Oh and make certain the radio is always clipped to you
Old 17-07-2020, 12:44   #51
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

For the price of a decent handheld you can still buy a good mobile VHF radio and an antenna with a mount.

Most lock operators and marina staff are using handheld VHF radios themselves as they move about the premises so they already are difficult to contact. Handheld to handheld range and the ability to get quality audio both ways is poor, if rhey can hear you at all.

With a mobile radio transmitting with much higher power (about 10x more) and a decent sized whip antenna you can transmit and receive way more efficiently than that little 6" rubby ducky antenna used on a handheld at onky 4 or 5 watts.

Plus most new marine VHF radios have AIS receive built in these days, as well as others bells and whistles.

Then buy a really cheap waterproof VHF as a backup.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 07:09   #52

Love the idea. I am also from MN and have spent a lot of time paddling a canoe on the Mississippi and camping from the canoe in the Boundry waters. A decent pontoon you can set up your tent on will the be the hight of luxury compared to that. I have also spent more hrs than I care to admit running a pontoon shuttle, taking people out on pontoon rides and running one in all types of weather. A pontoon in decent shape can take an amazing beating, can't swamp, can be shoved off a sandbar and dosn't require much of a motor.

The smaller outboard you bring the more finiky it will be for good fuel. Get a good fuel filter, learn how to clean the carb while on the boat, protect the prop and you should be good to go.

If you decide to document the trip please share a link. Clearly you have hit on an idea we all love.
Babbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 07:27   #53

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

A small sailboat would be better than a pontoon boat. Make some LOOOOONG oars, they will need to be at least 10' long, for when the outboard dies. You don't have to row to New Orleans or Mobile, just keep the boat outside the main channel but still in the current and pointing the right direction. With a sailboat you won't need a tent on deck. You will have a proper berth below for sleeping, maybe also a galley. If the boat has an inboard diesel, you got it made. Propulsion and electricity. Plan your fuel stops carefully and carry as many jerry jugs as you will need. Let the current do the work wherever it will. Flour tortillas are more convenient than loaf bread. You need a spare canopener and a spare spare. Plenty of water. Two ice chests. Never drain off ice-cold water! It will still keep your beer cold. Learn the Rules, backward and forward. Get all the safety equipment you might need and hook up with someone local to fit out your boat or raft properly. No way you will get a list of everything you will need just from this thread. Spend some time getting to know your boat before you head down the river. A boat small enough that you can step and unstep your mast by yourself would be great. Lots of stretches where you could sail and make good time without burning fuel. Anyway think this out carefully before you pull the trigger. If you go for it, good luck and safe voyage.
Old 20-07-2020, 07:47   #54

Boat: Lagoon 40

I have a friend that did something g very similar with his son on a home-built raft. If you are interested in connecting with him, PM me and I’ll. Send you his email. He has some interesting stories!

Go for it - good luck!
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 07:49   #55

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Consider the difference between the idea of something and the reality. It's always different.

And consider the dfference between camping a few days or a few weeks in a tent, and living in a tent for months or more. You might get mighty tired of it and long for a boat with a cabin of some kind.

I think it's a good investment to try something before committing to it long term if you haven't done it before and make your long term decisions based upon experience rather than fantasy, whenever you can.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:05   #56

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat

Not a thing wrong with your plan conceptually; but, I would get some time on the smaller rivers first. We have done the Mississippi to confluence with Illinois, the entire navigable Cumberland and Tennessee, and parts of the Tenn Tom in 22 to 25 foot boats. (We have also done the entire Atlantic Coast ICW, and entire Gulf Coast ICW, in boats from a 14' runabout [beach camping], to 62' Ketch.). The "great loop" has been done by two girls in a 16' Aluminum Duraboat, PWC,s, rowing boats etc.. I know a number of folks who have done the Pontoon route, including one who made his own boat with plywood, glassed over, light weight with an 8 hp outboard, and rig to pitch the tent on the foredeck at night. Never slept ashore. Actually you are better off sleeping on the boat.

I would start with upper parts of the tributary rivers rather than the Mississippi--or at least the upper part of the Mississippi--For example do the St. Croix from Navigable head first. Then Mississippi to Dubuque, Iowa. Doing this gives experience on a quiet river first, then some of the Mississippi, where fuel is readily available.

Definitely do not do the lower Mississippi without experience. There can be swift currents, hazards, and heavy commercial traffic. As already noted fuel is just not available, except by jerry can. You can use a very low powered outboard for the lower Mississippi, and let the current do the "work" for you--when that time comes. Explore side channels and towns along the way. The Tenn Tom waterway is a far better route, and I consider it more interesting, although to me it is not particularly "Scenic" in comparison to other Rivers. In the Winter go to Florida. One of my favorite river's is the St. John's. We have navigated it from just outside of Orlando to Jacksonville and The Atlantic.

There are a number of Pontoon boats which have a "hard side" part cabin aft-small galley, porti potty, shelter at the helm for in climate weather. I have seen fully tricked out pontoon boats, and ones which looked like they were ready for the scrap yard--all doing the rivers.

Be careful in buying the boat. Many pontoon boats have floors made of non marine and non treated plywood, with carpet tacked on top. These rot and can be a can of worms...Check the status of aluminum hulls. Also the support framework of the bridge deck. There are also pontoon boats with fiberglass hulls. I also agree with a big anchor (for the size of boat)--I would use something like a 25# Mantus, or 22# Vulcan, Manson, Ronca, etc...and an FX 11 Fortress or Guardian (best for sand and mud). Use about 10' of chain, and a hundred feet of 1/2" nylon. I have seen good anchors at consignment shops and even purchased a couple of Fortress anchors at yard sales... You don't need a large motor--25 to 50 hp would be plenty. (Even smaller if you are in some areas where there is no real adverse current). You want to go at "displacement speed".

Do it now; keep a log and publish it on the internet! I understand all of the stress of a divorce. My second marriage is now 43 years old, and we love the boating life together...

You are 55 years old--just getting started. I will be 84 next month (with health issues) and still get on the water regularly, including two month long "cruises" each year.

Have fun!
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:50   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway41 View Post
Do it now; keep a log and publish it on the internet! I understand all of the stress of a divorce. My second marriage is now 43 years old, and we love the boating life together...

You are 55 years old--just getting started. I will be 84 next month (with health issues) and still get on the water regularly, including two month long "cruises" each year.

Have fun!
That is all such great advise! Thanks for that and for sharing your stories. It warms my heart.

I'd leave tomorrow but I have shoulder surgery Wednesday and will need quite a bit of time to heal. The down time will give me planning and buying time so that's ok.

Peace and Good Health!

Scott.
Old 20-07-2020, 08:51   #58

I’m jealous, Huck Finn!
Best comment I saw was mosquito netting, esp as you move south. Add a robust system to keep stuff dry in the inevitable storms. Have fun and stay safe!
mjgriffin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:53   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Consider the difference between the idea of something and the reality. It's always different.

And consider the dfference between camping a few days or a few weeks in a tent, and living in a tent for months or more. You might get mighty tired of it and long for a boat with a cabin of some kind.

I think it's a good investment to try something before committing to it long term if you haven't done it before and make your long term decisions based upon experience rather than fantasy, whenever you can.
That is sage advice and I appreciate it and understand it. Be well.
Old 20-07-2020, 08:58   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
A small sailboat would be better than a pontoon boat. Make some LOOOOONG oars, they will need to be at least 10' long, for when the outboard dies. You don't have to row to New Orleans or Mobile, just keep the boat outside the main channel but still in the current and pointing the right direction. With a sailboat you won't need a tent on deck. You will have a proper berth below for sleeping, maybe also a galley. If the boat has an inboard diesel, you got it made. Propulsion and electricity. Plan your fuel stops carefully and carry as many jerry jugs as you will need. Let the current do the work wherever it will. Flour tortillas are more convenient than loaf bread. You need a spare canopener and a spare spare. Plenty of water. Two ice chests. Never drain off ice-cold water! It will still keep your beer cold. Learn the Rules, backward and forward. Get all the safety equipment you might need and hook up with someone local to fit out your boat or raft properly. No way you will get a list of everything you will need just from this thread. Spend some time getting to know your boat before you head down the river. A boat small enough that you can step and unstep your mast by yourself would be great. Lots of stretches where you could sail and make good time without burning fuel. Anyway think this out carefully before you pull the trigger. If you go for it, good luck and safe voyage.
Definitely something to consider. Thanks for the tips! I'm getting a lot of them and warm wishes and I love it! Thanks again for taking the time.

Peace and Good Health!

Scott.