Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2006, 05:28   #1

Sipping fuel.....

The big boat burns too much fuel. I had to down size, so here's the new boat
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 06:56   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Perhaps you could grow a field of corn on the foredeck. convert that to ethanol and run a 75% ethanol and 25% gas thus saving alot on gas. On second thought you could take that same corn and feed it to hamsters ina a habitrail and then hook the habitrail up to a saildrive and really be fuel efficient. Then maybe you could get a bigger boat. BTW how many berths does that boat have?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 07:03   #3

GAS!! not just no but, $%^&& NO. Mines going diesel. It's too small to have any berths. I'm planning on just using it as a tender.
Old 28-05-2006, 07:25   #4

Bio Diesel

Hi Pat and Rick:

Rick I had mentioned to you in a PM about Biodiesel. Pat what do you think about Biodiesel. I have made some experimentally and have not had the guts to try it out on my tractor. Everything I've read seems like it would be fine especially if you have a clean fuel tank. I guess another problem might be any natural rubber parts in the engine that are contacted with fuel will fall apart.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 28-05-2006, 07:35   #5

Charlie,
I've runn B100 in several vehicles and have one Yanmar test boat. As you said, the rubber is the biggest problem second to a dirty tank. Bio is an incredible cleaning agent. i've used it on a few nasty boat tanks lately. You'll notice a little less power in the tractor but otherwise it'll run normaly untill you clog filters. Go for it.
Old 28-05-2006, 07:45   #6

Thanks Pat:

I've bought a couple of 250 gal tanks so that I can make it. I've got three diesel rigs. When I finish building my house I am going to start working on getting set up for making biodiesel. With prices over $3 a gal it makes it worthwhile.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 28-05-2006, 08:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Charlie:
I wouldn’t worry too much about the biodiesel dissolving natural rubber engine parts. If you discover fuel leaks or filtre clogs, the replacement parts are E-compatible, readily available (ubiquitous since 1993), and fairly cheap.

Here an excellent site, written by people who make their own biodiesel.
The Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial Team:
http://biodieselcommunity.org/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 10:58   #8

thanks gord:

I'll try my biodiesel on the tractor and then one of these days I'll try it on my boat.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 28-05-2006, 11:29   #9

Charlie.

Keep us all updated on how your "biodiesel" truns out. And how did your tractor handled the homemade biodiesel?

I am very curious!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 13:09   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
So after your kids have had play time in the bath, I suppose you hop right in and play with it as well.....
Of course, the rubber ducky would be....really... a rubber ducky.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 18:43   #11

Captain K:

I'll let you know. I'm going to try and run it tommorrow with the bio D. I only have about a liter or so but I will be interested in seeing how it runs.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 28-05-2006, 20:09   #12

Charlie,

Please report back to let us know how the engine runs on home-made fuel.

Tags
fuel