Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2022, 15:55   #1

Single Handed Great Loop

I was eating lunch out the other day when I overheard some young pup talking about how he was going to retire and make a great loop trek. That got me thinking (again), about such an adventure.

My wife has been on short sailing and houseboating adventures with me and others, but nothing very long. She's not going to want to do anything like a great loop voyage, so wondered about doing it solo.

Anyone hear of someone doing a long trek, such as a great loop, single handed, and in relative comfort? What kind of vessel?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:47   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Single Handed Great Loop

Here are a couple of articles you may find interesting. I did, Lol. When I'm too old to easily sail I may have to switch to power and go do this myself.

https://greatloop.org/page/Solo_Loopers

https://currents.bluewatercruising.o...es-great-loop/

Old 03-04-2022, 10:33   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Seng,

We did the Loop in '15 and '16 and we saw a couple of guys doing it by themselves. My suggestion is to find one of your buddies who would like to do this with you. Get a boat that will be comfortable for two couples and set off. I suggest about forty feet and the sun deck trawler style is great. The gals can fly into places and spend a few weeks with you on sections of the Loop and then fly home again. Make sure that both gals come to the boat together. It is more fun for all if there are four rather than three. The gals go biking or kayaking while the guys go fishing. We carried four bikes, two kayaks and a motorized sailing dinghy.

There are A LOT of locks on the Loop and two folks make those easier. I have done some by myself but I still recommend at least two for most locking.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyS View Post
My suggestion is to find one of your buddies who would like to do this with you.
I would love it if I could make that happen, but do worry about about finding someone with the right temperament that can also take off time (most of my buddies are still working, or not adventuresome enough). I tried for years to put together a deal with another couple where the guys would do the adventuresome thing, and the gals would pamper themselves (and rescue the guys, if we got into dire straights). But I could never get such a thing launched, which is why I was thinking to find a boat I could handle myself. I've already learned of rigging up bow and stern thrusters to a remote control....that's awesome!
Old 03-04-2022, 11:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Here are a couple of articles you may find interesting. I did, Lol. When I'm too old to easily sail I may have to switch to power and go do this myself.

https://greatloop.org/page/Solo_Loopers

https://currents.bluewatercruising.o...es-great-loop/

Good links. Thx.

One thing to remember about motor boats: many are much harder to dock because of the location of the helm position compared to sailboats. If the helm is inside, as many are, and do not have outside throttle positions, it is hard to be in two places at once if you're solo. Choose wisely.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 14:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
One thing to remember about motor boats: many are much harder to dock because of the location of the helm position compared to sailboats. If the helm is inside, as many are, and do not have outside throttle positions, it is hard to be in two places at once if you're solo. Choose wisely.
I've been looking at the designs where there are port and starboard doors adjacent to the helm, so yeah, that's a big factor. And like I said, the idea that you can control the thrusters with a wireless remote seems like a great thing to have.
Old 03-04-2022, 15:04   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’ve met dozens of Loopers can pick their boat out of the crowd. Trawlers period the end.
Sailboat die in 4 places I know. Just south of Chicago. Low overhead. Lock 43 Severn River Low Wires to Lock 42 Lock 15 Severn 5’ narrows depth.
Loopers are often sailors in between boats. They only keep the loop boat for the loop.
You can hook up with them and become the next owner for 12 months.
I grew up on the northern lakes and Severn Trent river system. Half the province vacation on the system it’s so huge. Loopers will tell you it’s the friendliest quietest most beautiful part of the trip. I can tell you that’s intentional.
Stop in the Port of Orillia to shop and use the town docks. The lift locks at Lakefield and Perterborough are astounding. The second lock in from Georgian. Bay is a railway and hydro generator. You ride up in slings.
That lock has wild roses growing around the rocks which are unique to the area.
Lake Michigan I traveled the west coast of Michigan. Every single town is beautiful. Holland is in a private bay on a long sheltered inlet. Holland Michigan is down right pretty.
Navy Pier for Chicago good luck getting in but great spot.
You exit on to the east end of Lake Ontario in Trenton. Some loopers detour to Toronto which has never been a great spot for visitor slips. Or continue on to Kingston Ontario. Great port. The Admiralty Islands are a big chain with great anchorages and a few angry cottagers. Brandt Castle in US waters is a must see for many. There is another castle further up before Lake Champlain.
So it’s the northern part of the trip that’s tough on sailboats but they do make it.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 16:23   #8

Met a singe-handed looper in the municipal marina in Ludington, Michigan. He had a Ranger Tug 27. He was happy with it.

Single engine with bow and stern thrusters and only 27 feet should go a long way toward keeping you out of trouble. Accommodations and storage seems good.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 17:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
Met a singe-handed looper in the municipal marina in Ludington, Michigan. He had a Ranger Tug 27. He was happy with it.

Single engine with bow and stern thrusters and only 27 feet should go a long way toward keeping you out of trouble. Accommodations and storage seems good.
Yes, I'm narrowing in on the smaller Ranger Tugs. If it anything like RV's, buying new is often just a different set of problems than buying used. I'm nowhere near experienced enough to pick out a vessel yet. I need to hire myself an expert, I think, if I'm going to do this thing.
Old 03-04-2022, 18:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
.............. I'm nowhere near experienced enough to pick out a vessel yet. I need to hire myself an expert, I think, if I'm going to do this thing.

For what, to choose the "vessel?"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 18:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
I’ve met dozens of Loopers can pick their boat out of the crowd. Trawlers period the end.
Thanks for the input. The loop is so full of interesting and maybe challenging places. I've got a few books, just living vicariously so far. I know planning is a big thing, but for me, a short-term plan is fine, and let things happen otherwise. But it's always nice to have a bit of knowledge from those who've gone before you.
Old 03-04-2022, 18:21   #12

Quote:
For what, to choose the "vessel?"
Yes. The idea would be to just pay for expertise...someone who knows these boats and can see what I can't see. I've been around boats my whole life, but not this kind of boat. Someone can probably say "that model's engine room is such a tight mess, you can't even change the oil", but that would probably have escaped my notice.
Old 03-04-2022, 19:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I was eating lunch out the other day when I overheard some young pup talking about how he was going to retire and make a great loop trek. That got me thinking (again), about such an adventure.

My wife has been on short sailing and houseboating adventures with me and others, but nothing very long. She's not going to want to do anything like a great loop voyage, so wondered about doing it solo.

Anyone hear of someone doing a long trek, such as a great loop, single handed, and in relative comfort? What kind of vessel?
You may want to ping the folks on TrawlerForum, sister site to CF. Predominantly ex-sailors, several single handers, and a fair number of Loopers.

Can the Loop be done on a sailboat? Of course - you may need to remove the mast in certain parts. Would anyone chose a sailboat vs a powerboat to do the loop? No, very unlikely due to high percentage of motoring, bridges, and constant exposure to sun and elements.

Also check out the Loop folks. They have a decent classifieds section of boats.
https://greatloop.org/page/About_AGLCA
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 19:34   #14

Quote:
Good links. Thx.

Ummm.....not sure where this is coming from. Many, if not most trawlers are significantly more mannerly in close quarters than sailboats, especially twin engine trawlers. Sailboats are often under-powered with folding props that are positioned several feet in front of the rudder. Thrusters are much more common on powerboats than sail, and the helm station on trawlers tend to be midships where a breast line is easily handles by the helmsman. On an aft cockpit sailboat, helmsman is a long way from the bow, and access on/off boat is often more encumbered than a powerboat with solid rails that can be lowered prior to docking.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:42   #15

Single. Go small with like a Ranger tug 27 or Albin 25 or 27. Way buy easy sell. The bigger question is do you really enjoy being alone?
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single